“Absolutely lovely location in wine country.”
Review of Asuncion Ridge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Paso Robles
Asuncion Ridge
Ranked #18 of 30 Paso Robles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I had a business engagement in the Paso Robles area and were fortunate enough to meet someone who recommended the Asuncion Ridge B & B. The location is about 10 minutes off the freeway, high in the hills. I have to admit that my husband and I were wondering what we had done as we followed the precise directions provided by our host to reach the B & B. (Try to arrive during daylight as your GPS won't work in the hills). However, when we reached the house at the top of the ridge surrounded by rolling hills and the ocean in the horizon, all concerns quickly evaporated.

We were warmly greeted by the housekeeper who showed us the house which is exquisitely decorated with views from every window. We were shown to our room with it's king size bed, private bath and lovely patio with chaise lounges for relaxing. Wine glasses and wine from their vineyard were on the counter to enjoy. Phillip, our charming and hospitable host, joined us later in the afternoon. Philip is also a chef so our breakfasts in the sunny dining room with the other guests was a perfect way to start the day.

We look forward to returning to Asuncion; it was lovely, both food for the soul and for the stomach. Phillip is the perfect host. We are hoping to return with friends as Phillip is also available to host private parties. Thus, you could have a private dinner (you choose the menu) with no concerns about driving after having had a bit of the grape. Just a few steps to your bedroom when the evenings festivities are over. Now, that sounds like a great plan!

Room Tip: One suite (beautiful) and 2 smaller lovely rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Leslie1736

Reviewed 3 June 2011

My husband and I stayed here last Memorial Day (2010) weekend and vowed to return, bring friends, and rent all three rooms. Last year we were celebrating my husband's successful cancer surgery, this year we wanted to bring friends with us.

This year, we again stayed for two nights, and had a fantastic time! Our two couple friends were both wine lovers, and like us, amateur astronomers, so not only did we enjoy the inn by day, but turned off all the lights after dark, set up five telescopes on the patios and grassy lawn looking down towards Morro Rock, and held a star party for ourselves, vintner and innkeeper Philip and some of his friends.

Last year my hubby and I stayed in the Zinfandel Suite, and this year we took the huge Pinot Noir Suite. We just loved it - the tub with picture windows overlooked giant oak trees was fabulous! The king bed was super comfy, with first class linens, great art, interesting knick knacks (giraffe bookends, for example). It's just a perfect room.

The three couples really enjoyed having the place to ourselves, especially as we wanted to turn off all the lights for our dark sky star party.

When we first arrived, several wines were set out for tasting along with some yummy almonds. One couple drove from SF and the other two of us drove from the LA area. We all convened at about 5 p.m. and enjoyed winding down with the lovely Asuncion Ridge wines. After we unpacked, we all jumped into one car for dinner in Morro Bay at the Black Cat Bistro. It's a 45 minute drive to either Paso Robles or the coast, so make dinner reservations, and allow time for driving to and from. The drive is beautiful, with herds of longhorn cattle (one is on Asuncion Ridge's wine labels). After dinner, we sat and talked back at the inn for hours and hours - it was raining so no star party that night. Philip set out some lovely port, and more of his wines. He joined us later in the evening, too. He asked us when we'd like breakfast and we agreed on about 8 a.m.

We all started stirring at about 8 and the French pressed coffee was waiting for the early risers. When we were all assembled, Philip donned a chef's white coat, set up a buffet of fruit, yogurt, juice, granola, milk and made souffles, or crustless quiches, or baked eggs. Sunday morning we were served rameklins ofegg, pancetta, gruyere, leeks, and Monday morning we had eggs with spicy vegetarian chorizo. We had leisurely breakfasts, and we really enjoyed having the place to ourselves. Sunlight poured in from big windows everywhere, and there are lovely sight lines no matter where you look inside. When not together, there are nooks to ready alone everywhere inside and out. We all had time to be alone , or quiet but near our friends. This is true even if you are with people you don't know here. Lots of privacy.

The service was so spot-on, we felt like we owned the place and that Philip was our friend who came to visit, not just our host. I can't recommend Philip or Asuncion Ridge enough!

The highlight, as if the room, food, stargazing, and camaraderie weren't enough, was when Philip invited us to barrel taste some of his wines! We got a lesson in winemaking, saw all the big equipment used to de-stem, sort, crush, and tasted several young wines in barrels. He then made a blend of three grapes! This was totally our favorite moment of a perfect weekend.

We're already planning to come back next Memorial Day weekend (I hope). It will also be a favorable sky watching, wine tasting, and relaxing-in-luxury weekend.

Best: everything, and worth every penny!
Least: leaving when the weekend was over :'-(

Room Tip: All three rooms are great/quiet with good views
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank astrojane
Reviewed 20 May 2011

The 2-night stay at Asuncion Ridge was truly a memorable one and highlighted our whole trip. The house is very clean, luxurious and with its own style. The bed linen is very very good. I had the best ever sleeps during my whole trip. The owner, Philip is a nice and hospitable guy, and he gave us quite some useful suggestions on our trip. By the way, the wine he made is exellent too. If we come to California next time, we will definitely come back to Paso Robles and stay here again. Hanging out in the house and watching the beautiful mountain views shall be just enough.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2011

We loved Asuncion Ridge from the moment we arrived. The wine was open and waiting in the beautifully designed kitchen. It was enjoyed on the veranda with a magnificent view of the Pacific. Breakfast was fabulous. We will definitely go back and hope stay longer. As a host Phil provides just the right amount of privacy blended with his welcoming company. And to make it even better his wines are great. Make sure to take time for a walk to the end of the road.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2011

This "retreat" is everything that I could want in a Bed and Breakfast. Asuncion Ridge is far more than just a "bed" and provides much more of an experience than just "breakfast." After the long trek from the main road (about 20 minutes) we reached what was to be our home for the weekend. Tip: I would recommend arriving during daylight as the drive up can be a bit tricky the first time you do it - but by the end of the weekend it was old hat for us.

We were greeted warmly by the fantastic owner/chef/winemaker-extrordinaire, Philip. On the counter, he had cheese, crackers, and a selection of wine for us to freely enjoy. And enjoy we did - I was completely blown away by the quality of his wines. My boyfriend and I are budding wine enthusiasts and have developed a pretty good sense of quality wine. Philip's product truly fits the bill. Specializing in Pinot Noir but also dabbling with some Rhone varietals (Salacoius was my favorite), the wines far surpassed my expectations on what we would find at a bed and breakfast - so much so that we joined the wine club. We were going to purchase wine anyhow and joining the club gave us a discount on the wine an on future stays at Asuncion Ridge. After a weekend there, I am set on going back.

Here's why. Besides the fabulous wine, the experience at Asuncion Ridge can be defined by the comforting and current accommodations, fantastic breakfasts, and incredible, peaceful atmosphere up above the hustle and bustle of the land below.

The home is newer construction and has been in Philip's hands since inception. He did a fantastic job with creating a space that is elegant yet comfortable - what you would want in your own home. Delicate, Victorian-style bed-and-breakfasts may be ideal for some individuals but I prefer to be in an environment that I don't feel like I have to watch my step so the floors don't creak and sleep in a room that has been around since the beginning of time. When I stepped into Asuncion Ridge, I felt at home. We visited with another couple and spent some down time playing board games or just lounging around. The only thing it was missing was a hot tub, which Philip said will come eventually.

The food was definitely another selling point. Besides being quasi-winos, my boyfriend and I are becoming avid cooks and enjoy well-prepared food. The Crustless Quiche on Day 1 and the Blueberry Bread Pudding Omelet on Day 2 were both fantastic and were prepared according to the time that we woke up and wanted breakfast! We didn't have to wake up at 8 or even 9 AM to enjoy our home-cooked breakfast. Philip also laid out fresh fruit, yogurt, granola, bagels, juice, coffee, for us to serve at our leisure. Even just the "buffet" presentation impressed me. Additionally, Philip went out of his way to accommodate my vegan friend - heading to the store to pick up some ingredients after our arrival.

This cozy sanctuary is situated up above it all, overlooking the ocean and the rolling green hills of the Central Coast, home to free-roaming cattle. I felt at peace and relaxed and enjoyed great wine, food, and friends - and that's really I that I can ask for for my weekend escape from the city.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ksuger
Reviewed 23 March 2011

This B@B is great for a special occasion, you won't be disappointed. The adventure is your first drive up to Asuncion Ridge. It is away from the bustle of your normal life. Exactly why you are on a getaway, on a private ranch and vineyard overlooking the pacific ocean and Morro Rock. The house and accomadtions (especially king suite) are the best we have ever found. The host, winemaker, and chef will make you feel like an old friend. Philip makes a great breakfast and a terrific Pinot . The setting is great and we can't wait for another reason to go back. This is not your grandmothers B@B, give it a try and you won't be sorry

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2010

My wife and I were looking for a weekend getaway and stumbled across Asuncion Ridge. It was so romantic with incredible views. The innkeeper and wine maker Philip, was accommodating, friendly, and made an awesome breakfast. The room was warm and inviting with very nice linens. Next time though we want to stay in the large room with the fireplace and deck overlooking the Oak tree forest.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple