See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Well standards must be dropping in the good old US of A. Coming from New Zealand, we spent 2 nights at this establishment during a 3000 mile road trip through the Southwestern USA. I have travelled extensively throughout the world and for over a $1000 for 2 nights we don't expect to have surprise charges on our credit card when we get home.

Firstly people go on about this home from home accommodation. I'm sorry but if I want home from home, I stay at home. When I pay this sort of money I don't expect to stay in a dilapidated ramshackle cottage in an upstairs room where I can hear every single noise coming from downstairs. In my opinion, like every wine growing region in the world, prices in Paso Robles are seriously inflated.

We left the place clean and tidy as requested, but we made the fatal error of using the barbeque. Afterwards we put a few logs onto the fire to enjoy a few drinks. On arrival home we find we have been charged a hundred bucks for a few logs (guess what, they were pre split and ready to use) and supposed destruction of a $25 bbq (price at Home Depot).

Now in my business, if I have an issue with a customer, I give them a ring and discuss the matter. We phoned her to discuss the matter but all we got were lame duck excuses and a recalcitrant attitude. If we damaged the bbq, it was unintentional and I would be more than happy to replace it. But I don't like legalised theft which is what this amounts to.

In general my summary would be very average accommodation, unclear instructions about what was available for use and what not, and appalling customer service when there was an issue. Sometimes in the service industry you have to roll with the punches a bit. Wanton destruction is another matter entirely, but for the sake of a $25 barbeque it might have been better to let it go.

Be warned - be prepared to get ripped off.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Mark C
Reviewed November 13, 2012

As veterans we can not say enough how much we appreciate you giving us a complimentary stay at your ranch suites. It was absolutely beautiful, and we enjoyed our selves greatly. The room was imaculate and tastefully appointed. We loved the jacuzzi tub and the large private deck with views of the winery and many deer that grazed on the property. We highly recommend Dunning Ranch Suites. We still can not belive your generosity and that you did this for us. Again, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Room Tip: Suite 1, where we stayed has a large private deck with relaxing views of the winery and the many oak trees with spanish moss. I understand Suite 2 has a fireplace and I am not sure of the other amenities.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Quiet, peaceful, comfortible, lovely sunset overlooking the Merlot Vineyard under a 300 year old oak tree... need I say more? Breakfast on the deck with the deer walking by... and the wine itself was divine. Thank you Dunning Ranch, already planning our return!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seemaryrun_9
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We had a lovely stay, with great attentiveness from the site manager, Christine, to our needs. However, we were in the upstairs suite, and there were 2 couples in the downstairs suite. They were not terribly noisy, but the insulation is SO minimal, that we could hear every word of their conversations, the music they played--and this went on into the wee hours of the morning both nights we were there. We were looking for a quiet retreat; the setting would normally have been wonderful, but in reality it was not at all! We didn't need the two bedroom suite downstairs, so we would definitely NOT go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank susanc1108
DRGS, Owner at Dunning Ranch Guest Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2011

Susanc1108 - Thank you for bringing this to our attention. In the future we would be happy to address any noise concerns with guests in the adjoining suite when promptly notified. We do everything within our means to provide for a restful night sleep for all guests.

Reviewed June 10, 2011

Perfect setting beautiful house
We rented the whole house!
Beds were terrific we counted 8 pillows on each bed !!
Fully equipped house !
Huge front porch ! Every thing u would need just bring food !
The do have snacks and breakfast in the fridge ! I like butter and they only had cream cheese for the bagels,coffee was perfect plus bottle of wine left for us was wonderful

• Stayed: June 2011