“Sense of Place and Country Relaxation”

Dunning Ranch Guest Suites
Ranked #23 of 30 Paso Robles B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 September 2013

My wife and I truly enjoyed our stay at the DRGS. The cottage is located off the beaten path in the heart of wine country. There is a great porch that sits above oak tree groves and vineyards. Relaxing there we were visited by a flock of wild turkeys and Charley the winery cat. If you're looking for a place of refuge after a long day of vacationing this is the place!

Room Tip: The downstairs room is a bit bigger and would easily sleep four.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Well standards must be dropping in the good old US of A. Coming from New Zealand, we spent 2 nights at this establishment during a 3000 mile road trip through the Southwestern USA. I have travelled extensively throughout the world and for over a $1000 for 2 nights we don't expect to have surprise charges on our credit card when we get home.

Firstly people go on about this home from home accommodation. I'm sorry but if I want home from home, I stay at home. When I pay this sort of money I don't expect to stay in a dilapidated ramshackle cottage in an upstairs room where I can hear every single noise coming from downstairs. In my opinion, like every wine growing region in the world, prices in Paso Robles are seriously inflated.

We left the place clean and tidy as requested, but we made the fatal error of using the barbeque. Afterwards we put a few logs onto the fire to enjoy a few drinks. On arrival home we find we have been charged a hundred bucks for a few logs (guess what, they were pre split and ready to use) and supposed destruction of a $25 bbq (price at Home Depot).

Now in my business, if I have an issue with a customer, I give them a ring and discuss the matter. We phoned her to discuss the matter but all we got were lame duck excuses and a recalcitrant attitude. If we damaged the bbq, it was unintentional and I would be more than happy to replace it. But I don't like legalised theft which is what this amounts to.

In general my summary would be very average accommodation, unclear instructions about what was available for use and what not, and appalling customer service when there was an issue. Sometimes in the service industry you have to roll with the punches a bit. Wanton destruction is another matter entirely, but for the sake of a $25 barbeque it might have been better to let it go.

Be warned - be prepared to get ripped off.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Mark C
Reviewed 13 November 2012

As veterans we can not say enough how much we appreciate you giving us a complimentary stay at your ranch suites. It was absolutely beautiful, and we enjoyed our selves greatly. The room was imaculate and tastefully appointed. We loved the jacuzzi tub and the large private deck with views of the winery and many deer that grazed on the property. We highly recommend Dunning Ranch Suites. We still can not belive your generosity and that you did this for us. Again, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Room Tip: Suite 1, where we stayed has a large private deck with relaxing views of the winery and the many oak...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Quiet, peaceful, comfortible, lovely sunset overlooking the Merlot Vineyard under a 300 year old oak tree... need I say more? Breakfast on the deck with the deer walking by... and the wine itself was divine. Thank you Dunning Ranch, already planning our return!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seemaryrun_9
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We had a lovely stay, with great attentiveness from the site manager, Christine, to our needs. However, we were in the upstairs suite, and there were 2 couples in the downstairs suite. They were not terribly noisy, but the insulation is SO minimal, that we could hear every word of their conversations, the music they played--and this went on into the wee hours of the morning both nights we were there. We were looking for a quiet retreat; the setting would normally have been wonderful, but in reality it was not at all! We didn't need the two bedroom suite downstairs, so we would definitely NOT go back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank susanc1108
DRGS, Owner at Dunning Ranch Guest Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Susanc1108 - Thank you for bringing this to our attention. In the future we would be happy to address any noise concerns with guests in the adjoining suite when promptly notified. We do everything within our means to provide for a restful night sleep for all guests.

Reviewed 10 June 2011

Perfect setting beautiful house
We rented the whole house!
Beds were terrific we counted 8 pillows on each bed !!
Fully equipped house !
Huge front porch ! Every thing u would need just bring food !
The do have snacks and breakfast in the fridge ! I like butter and they only had cream cheese for the bagels,coffee was perfect plus bottle of wine left for us was wonderful

• Stayed: June 2011
1  Thank PCYC869
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Found it very clean, comfortable, well stocked frig. Was a perfect setting. If my time had allowed, I would have stayed longer. This is not luxury, if this is what you are looking for then Dunning is not the place for you. If on the other hand you want peaceful, clean and comfortable, it would be hard to beat not to mention very affordable.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends