“not what it used to be”

The Inn at the Cove
Ranked #2 of 29 Hotels in Pismo Beach
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Now that Shelter Cove has gone "pet-friendly", any peace and quiet we enjoyed in the past is...a thing of the past! This used to be our favorite "go-to" retreat, but not any more. It's just too noisy with dogs barking all the time. The natural wildlife in the area (sea gulls, rabbits, etc.) seemed to set off every dog in the place. And, of course, barking dogs set off all the other dogs! I know that there aren't really a lot of pet-friendly rooms, but there sure seemed to be a lot of dogs there (and noisy ones at that!) the two nights we were there. I love dogs as much as the next person, but this was ridiculous!
The view from each room is amazing. The rooms are spacious and the upstairs rooms have elevated ceilings, which add to the illusion of spaciousness. Also, the continental breakfast is nice. I like their new pancake machine!
We requested a specific room (our favorite) when we made reservations five months in advance. I was told at the time of booking that the request would be noted but could not be guaranteed. Fair enough. I called back a month before our visit to make sure the request had been noted and was assured that it had been, but was again reminded that it was not guaranteed. Upon check-in, we were told that we couldn't have the room because it was now "pet-friendly" and was needed for the second night of our visit. REALLY? Why wasn't I told that when I called in June?
The great thing about Pismo Beach is that there are MANY hotel options available. I guess it's time to shop around!

Room Tip: Although they are slightly more expensive, the upstairs rooms are more easily accessed.They are on t...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
ShelterCoveGM, General Manager at The Inn at the Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2012

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. As a loyal return guest, I am sure you were disappointed to find that your favorite room has been converted to pet friendly. We chose to place the pet friendly rooms in one specific area of the hotel in hopes of making it very easy for the guests staying with pets to access our pet friendly lawn area. In an effort to ensure a quiet and pleasurable stay for all we do have a pet policy in place for those less behaved pets. We act swiftly if we receive complaints or hear any barking as we walk the property. I apologize that your stay was interrupted by this incident. I assure you we were unaware at the time.

As you know, each room has an incredible view and we would love the opportunity to give us another try. I would like to personally provide you a tour to several of my favorite rooms to help you find your new favorite spot. We appreciate and value your business and would be disappointed to not receive another chance to be your home away from home.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly when booking your next reservation, it would be my pleasure to personally ensure we are able to fulfill any special requests.

There are newer reviews for The Inn at the Cove

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Me, my husband and our 2 dogs stayed at the Best Western Shelter Cove for 3 nights. We sold our toy hauler last year and now have limited places to stay because we do take our dogs with us. The entire reason we picked this hotel was for the sole purpose of bringing our dogs. A lot of hotels are pet friendly but have weight restrictions and/or are limited to 1 dog. Also, the pet fees other hotels charge are ridiculous. Shelter Cove's pet fees are reasonable but I felt the room was a pricey for the quality. The beds/pillows could use major improvement. They are awful! The room itself was fairly clean, although there were cobwebs in the corner of the joining room door that had been there quite a while. The walls are thin and you can hear everything outside. You can hear people stomping up the stairs to their rooms, slamming doors and stomping around their room above you. You can hear the cleaning crews outside your room. You can hear other people opening and closing their sliding doors to the patios. The gardeners came when we were there and because the grass is almost touching your patio, they were very loud. But that's to be expected. My dogs would bark at every loud thump and unfamiliar noise but it was a protecting bark and not being in their own environment bark. They would stop as soon as I told them no but I was stressed out the entire time about someone complaining. No one ever did. There was nothing special about the bathroom. The shower is small (and I'm not a big person!). The view is AMAZING. You can hear the waves when you have your sliding door open. It was peaceful and relaxing to sit on the patio and just watch the ocean. I think the view makes up for every negative thing about the hotel. The TV's are updated flat screens. Nothing in the room was broke, everything worked fine. The continental breakfast was just okay. The coffee was great. The pet friendly rooms are conveniently located next to the dog potty area, so it's not a long ways in the mornings when they have to go! They were out of bags to pick up after your dog the whole 3 days we were there and they only left 3 in the room for you to use. Thank goodness I thought ahead and brought a bunch. The complimentary dog blanket (they didn't use) and dog bowl (they didn't use) were very tiny. My dogs are 66 lbs and 90 lbs, so they were useless to them, but they were a nice thought. My husband towed his Rhino in an enclosed trailer and the parking isn't accommodating for any type of trailer. There is a field about 1/4 mile down the road that Best Western owns and you can park there. We did worry about someone breaking into the truck/trailer because it's a dark field but nothing happened. The check in and check out was quick and easy. The staff was friendly.

All in all, we would stay there again. I feel the ocean view makes this hotel worth it.

Room Tip: The view is amazing from any room.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NailChickMich
ShelterCoveGM, General Manager at The Inn at the Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2012

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Best Western Shelter Cove Lodge. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our breathtaking views during your stay. I truly appreciate your feedback regarding what you liked about your stay and how we may improve. Our goal at Shelter Cove is to ensure each and every guest has an pleasant experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you and look forward to seeing you and your dogs the next time you are in the Pismo Beach area.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Booked this on short notice on our way down the coast to LA. The hotel is conveniently located close to HWY101 and right on the ocean, but we didn't have any street noise.

The room was really large, and although a bit dated, clean and cozy. Breakfast was interesting as they have a pancake machine that provided for a lot of entertainment. The rest of the breakfast was decent, but we have had better at other Best Westerns.

We didn't really do much else here as we arrived late and left early - but you could do worse than staying here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. I know your stay this time was brief; however we look forward to seeing you next time and hope you will have a few moments to spend exploring our beautiful Central Coast. We appreciate you taking the time to share and look forward to seeing again soon!

Reviewed 6 July 2012

they have selected rooms if you are traveling with your pets. We stayed at rm#103. our dog caught fleas and of course it infected the entire family. room view and surroundings is beautiful. they just need to clean up. the receptionist Amber was chatting with this guy about computer when i check in. I sat down and waited and waited. and finally, i got up and said something. they have small hotel lobby for her to see me when i walk in. i will not go back in this hotel

Room Tip: don't use room #103 if you are traveling with your pets
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank isawlulu
Management response:Responded 10 July 2012

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed the view from your room and that you were able to take in the beautiful scenery from our property. It is our goal to offer superior customer service to each and every guests and I do apologize if you felt this was not what you received during your time in our lobby.

I want to assure you that we continue to be proactive in our approach of leading the industry in cleanliness and ensuring that each and every rooms is thoroughly inspected prior to being occupied. As you can imagine, it is easy for our furry friends to carry the sand fleas from the beach below so we do have a very intense cleaning process for our pet friendly rooms.

I have taken your feedback seriously and have addressed your concerns with our entire team. It is my hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you should you find yourself in the Pismo Beach area in the future.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Love the location and ocean views. The breakfast is wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2012
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we truly appreciate the positive comments. We look forward to accommodating you on your next visit to Pismo Beach!

Reviewed 4 July 2012

A very nice property. Very clean and the beds were comfortable. We didn't expect breakfast so were pleasantly surprised. The views out to the water are outstanding. However beware the property is extremely close to Hwy 101 with heavy trucks rumbling down the hiway. The noise was not too bad but if you are like me and hate hi-way noise it might be somewhat irritating; it was tolerable. My rating would have been higher if not for the hiway noise.
Hint: You may want to just stay in the lower tier rooms as they may mitigate the hiway noise and from what I saw most but not all rooms had a nice view; this will also be a cheaper option than the top floor.

Room Tip: Consider taking one of the lower floor rooms. They may be quieter - except for overhead thumpers as...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank filftwalton
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed many aspects of our hotel such as our complementary breakfast and amazing ocean views. We also appreciate your tips about the room type as pertaining to specific noise levels. We will be sure to advise noise-sensitive guests about this. We look forward to seeing you during your next visit to Pismo Beach!

Reviewed 25 June 2012

This is the place to stay if you're in Pismo. but i was disappointed when i called the hotel from the hotel room with my cell phone and told the desk person that i can't called them from the room. she told me that i was the second person that complain about it. but didn't say anything about it but asked me what can she she help me with. still it's a nice place breakfast person was nice and helpful. Housekeeping was friendly.

• Stayed: June 2012
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I would like to express my sincere apologies for the problem you experienced with your telephone, I have notified our maintenance team of this issue to ensure it is prevented in the future. We sincerely appreciate your feedback, and are very pleased to hear you found our breakfast and housekeeping staff to be pleasant and helpful. Our goal at Shelter Cove is to ensure each and every guest has an pleasant experience. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you and exceed your expectations.