“good hotel for Coachella, decent room & amenities”

Hilton Garden Inn Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here for a night during Coachella weekend. Locatioin was pretty good; not the closest hotel to the festival grounds, but maybe only a 15 min drive away. Lots of restaurants and shopping nearby. The room itself was decent - although the air conditioning unit was pretty loud, it worked. I like that there's a fridge and microwave available in the room. Pool and fitness room are a great addition as well.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank VtDub
HGIPalmSpringsMgr, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Thank you for stay with us, it was our pleasure to be of service. We look forward to serving you again!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Upgraded to a suite, although there were two tv's it was only one room. A little noisy being right next to the pool, but that is typical at all hotels and I didn't request a room not facing pool. Not too much of a problem cause it was cool out.
Nice breakfast, for a fee they will make omletes to order, had a wonderful girl working the breakfast area.
Didn't realize this hotel was 20 min from the downtown area of Palm Springs.
Went on the Palm Springs Tram, and I'm afraid of heights, that was an experience, especially when the tram swayed, ugh. But it was worth it, and only waited 30 mintues for a ride up. No wait coming down.
Some nice restaurants to choose from right near the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We value your opinion! We are pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. The Palm Springs Tram is a great attraction!

We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed 7 April 2012

When I travel, I make it point to stay at a Garden Inn by Hilton when one is available. I go there not only because I typically have a good experience with the Garden Inns over-all, but because I absolutely love the Garden Rest Sleep System beds that are the prominet feature of the Garden Inn by Hilton chain.

In late march, I arrived at the Rancho Mirage Garden Inn on a slow Monday before noon and asked for a single king room for 3 nights. I was told that they did not have any king beds available - only a queen. I mentioned that I prefer a king, but if they didn' t have one, I suppose I could settle for a queen bed. At first, the desk clerk quoted me $174.00 per night and after I told him that I thought that was rather high (compared to other Garden Inns I have stayed at), he lowered the rate to $162.00 per night. I presented my credit card and photo ID and then waited, and waited and waited -- due to the computer problems the desk clerk said they were having. While I was waiting for something to happen, I mention to the desk clerk that I am really looking forward to sleeping on the Garden Rest Sleep System bed, as I get a great sleep on them and in fact, I bought one for my home use. (I also noticed the counter display of the Garden Rest Sleep System prominently displayed on the front counter -- further anchoring my anticipation of experiencing a Garden Sleep System night.) (This is when this desk clerk had an opportunity to inform me that this particular Garden Inn of 120 rooms, has only 10 rooms furinished with the Garden Rest Sleep System -- but never did he mention this to me.)

About 6 minutes into this transaction, the computers were still not working and another guest arrived at the desk and was being helped by the 2nd desk clerk. This guest arrived about 6 minutes after I had been told that there were no more king size beds. When this new guest was told that there were no king size beds available, he was disappointed (as was I), and he asked the clerk if it was too late to cancel his reservation. With that, the clerk replied: "Well, actually, it seems that I do have one King bed left.) Well, that was interesting, because I had just been denied a king bed -- and I was there first!

So, it has now been about 10 minutes waiting for my room transaction to go through their computer and the clerk has handed me back my ID & credit card. The next thing I know, the young clerk is now asking for my credit card and ID again. It seems that the transaction was dumped by the computer. At this point, I was PO'ed that I was denied the king bed and also put-off by the huge delay I was experiencing.

I simply walked out.

2 days later, due to circumstances pertaining to my travel plans, I once again went to the Rancho Mirage Garden Inn to get a room. This time, it was late in the evening with a different desk clerk ad this time, instead of $162 for the night, they were charging $220.00 per night. This was a shock for a Wednesday night (weekends I might understand, but not mid week). And still expecting a great night's sleep on the Garden rest Sleep System.

I was in sort of a bind and needed a room so, I figured I would pay the $220.00 and rationalized that it would be worth it to sleep on the Garden Rest Sleep ssytem. I also mention to this desk clerk that I was looking forward to sleeping on the Garden Rest Sleep System bed. (2nd opportunity to tell me that none were avaialbe.)

When I got to my over-priced room, I put my stuff up and slipped-off my shoes and expected to sink into the Garden Rest Sleep System bed. EXCEPT, it was a regular, standard spring mattres -- not different than you would expect from a Motel 8 or similar operation. When I called the desk to ask about the sleep system bed, this is when I was told that out of the 120 rooms in the hotel, only 10 rooms were furinished with the Garden Rest Sleep System bed. (For those of your who don't know, the Garden Sleep System beds are great and retail for over $2,200.00.)

I was extremely disappointed and if it handn't been so late and I not so tired, I would have left. The desk clerk said she would e-mail the manager my concerns and he would call me in the AM.

In the AM, I never received a call from the Manager so I initiated the call. Art, the GM, was very nice on the phone and went into great detail informing me of all the reasons that this particular Garden Inn only has 10 of the beds that the Garden Inns are famous for. Although he was very professional and pleasant over the phone, I wasn't buying the explaination he was giving. In any case, Art adjusted my room charge to my general satisfaction.

It seems that this Garden Inn is not a corporate owned Garden Inn -- it is a franchised property and apparently, the owners can do with it what they want.

When I was leaving the hotel, I asked the desk clerk where in there area I could get a good breakfast (I had missed the breakfast at the hotel.) She thought for a moment, and then told me that there was an IHOP just down the road. I asked how far down the road, and her response was :"a ways down the road." I then asked: "how far is a ways?" and her reply was: "I don't know exactly how far it is, but it's a ways down the road." At this point, I was so frustrated with my entire experience with is hotel, I just walked out -- never to return.

The experience I had with this particular Garden Inn by Hilton, was just bizarre compared to the excellent experience I have had with the nearly 1 dozen combined stays I have had at other Garden Inns. (I'm a Hilton Rewards member as well.)

The Garden Inn by Hilton is the first place I look for when I'm on the road. The property in Rancho Mirage, CA ought to be closed by Hilton until they are appropriately furnished and come up to the high standards that the other Garden Inn properties.

Room Tip: Don't expect the Garden Rest Sleep System beds. I would avoid this place until they bring it up...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
9  Thank George D

Thank you for taking the time to review us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced at our hotel. I would like to speak with you regarding your incident, if you are open to a discussion. I would greatly appreciate your time. Please contact me at the hotel: (Amy) Thank you again, and I look forward to speaking with you soon!

Reviewed 30 March 2012

Did I stay (March 2012) at the same place as the other reviewers!? Room was fine, AC worked like a charm, housekeeping as excellent - nothing here old and/or tired. Perhaps typical, but that's HGI anyway. The people were all super and helpful beyond call. First night we did not get a paper, and I mentioned it to a maintenance man who was near the front desk, asking him to pass it on to the desk clerk. Five minutes later, the maintenance man showed up at the room with a paper.

Downsides exist. There is a communications gap between shifts, and our reservation was mixed up (as well as no paper). They took care of it promptly in the AM once they knew what had happened, so just double check if you arrive late as we did. This HGI is a franchise operation and does not have a bar, even though one exists physically, and they do not serve dinner. However, according to staff members, that will be corrected in April of 2012. The breakfast staff was great; they took excellent care of us, eight strong at one point in time.

Back to the title: this facility is located virtually next to The River on Hwy 111. From it you can walk to The River and several restaurants ranging from family to upscale. 111 gives you excellent access by car to the Valley itself, and the 10 is several miles north on Bob Hope, which is less than a mile from the HGI via Rancho Las Palmas Ave. Take 111 NW to Gene Autry north and you will be at the Palm Springs Air Museum in 20 minutes of less. 111 SE takes you to El Paseo, Palm Desert's premier shopping street, in a matter of minutes.

As to price: this is the Coachella Valley/Palm Springs area, LA's playground and a premier resort area. It stands to reason that prices will be higher than Fresno or Stockton. I paid willingly, as I do not want a full-service hotel where you battle your way through outstretched palms and a room a mile from the entrance and I no longer need to do Motel 6 or 8 or...

Would I stay there again? Yes. There is some prejudice in that comment, as I am a Hilton Honors member and vitually always choose Hlton. There are other Hilton locations within this area, but I am please with the Rancho Mirage HGI for the above reasons. Let me make one more personal comment: service is very important to me. I lived in Palm Desert for 13 years and became quite dissatisfied with many places there due to poor service. The attutude quite often seemed to be that there will always be someone else to replace you if you're not happy, Bunky. At this HGI the attitude was just the reverse; every word, every action seemed to say that they were glad we we there and they wanted us to return. And that means a lot to a paying customer!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate your time. We apologize for the incidents that you experienced during your stay at our hotel. Management has been working on the communication between departments to ensure that all guests are satisfied with their time with us.

We are also happy to announce that HGI Palm Springs will be opening their bar and dinner service very soon! We hope you will come back to enjoy this with us!

Reviewed 9 March 2012

This is the worst Hilton Garden Inn we have stayed in and we have stayed in many as HGI is our chain of choice when we travel. The welcome was mediocre and they did not have any milk at 7:30pm. The mattress was old, soft and lumpy and when I asked the front desk for the Eco style was told that they only had 10 in the whole hotel. I asked for a bed board but that request was denied. In the morning I noticed some rooms had the USA Today outside their door so I asked where ours was and was told that they had run out even though rooms after ours had a paper. We are Hilton Honors Gold Members. The A/C unit was broken and the grab handle in the shower was loose. A disgraceful place and considering the room rates I feel ripped off.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jumbuck06
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Quite possibly, this is the most over priced hotel in the U.S. We have stayed in equivalent accommodation in better areas in many cities and paid one-quarter of the price! The only bright lights were the breakfast (at additional cost) and the staff in the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Margaret D
Reviewed 26 February 2012

The hotel is old and tired. Certainly one of the worst Garden Inns I've been at. I travel extensively and stay at Hilton properties often. The AC unit wouldn't come on. I called the front desk. After they said they'd send someone twice I went down to the desk. They said there was nothing they could do in regards to the ac. Enjoy your stuff, warm room! IF you find room temp b/w 76-79 degrees to your liking, with stagnant air. This is the place for you. There are better hotels nearby.

Room Tip: The rooms are fine other than the cooling issue.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
0.5 km away
Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
4.9 km away
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Palm Springs/Rancho Mirage? Share your experiences!