“Bathrobes with barbed wire, bad smells in rooms” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
kikineedsbeach
“Bathrobes with barbed wire, bad smells in rooms”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

rooms are smelly like musty, with a bad strong perfume soap smell covering vomit smell. We asked to see 3 different rooms because of the smell in the first one. We didn’t get away from the smell no matter what we did.

There is that weird plaster cottage cheese on walls. Small bathtub with shower combined. Can't take a clean bath. There were dirty wine glasses out side our door that we passed at least 15 times on our way in and out of our room. Never were they cleaned up. I took a photo but can't find it right now. The rooms had dusty corners and dust in the creases of the sofa bed. We asked for a duvet cover for the sofa bed and were told "there's a blanket in the closet". Right, we saw the blanket, we want a clean sheeted duvet cover. Not a blanket that is used and then folded back without being washed.

Flat screen tv is not high definition my 8 year old says the picture is "pixilated". Food at Blu Ember is very chi chi weird like there is nothing to eat. Look at the menu online, you’ll see. Hot dog at pool was nasty. Turkey dog instead of beef, very mealy, not hot, lukewarm at best. When we asked it it was a turkey dog, yes, they said, but it didn't say that on the menu.

The bathrobes are the fancy velvet type, trimmed with a satin cord around the edges, and the robes are badly frayed. So as the rope trim wears away it leaves behind the plastic or nylon or polyester sewn onto the edges of the robe. The rope trim had become like barbed wire! The edges on your bathrobes are barbed. They scratch your skin. This is on both robes provided in the closet. Well I didn’t call housekeeping for more robes because at that point understood that if they are putting such an item into a guest room for the guests’ comfort, they actually have no clue whatsoever about what is happening in their hotel or how comfort and hospitality works.

Pool is fun for kids but gets old after a few hours. Would never see being there for more than a weekend. We lasted one night.

Need:
earplugs
Incense
To Go home

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank kikineedsbeach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Korean first
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

This property is located approximately 15-20 minutes from Palm Springs airport. It is a nice hotel, the rooms are large, the beds are nice, bathroom is good. The personnel on the property are very nice and very helpful. Blu Ember is a good restaurant with good food that has a nice outdoor patio with firepits and live music at night. The indoor bar is not bad either. The property is located across the street from a mall area called The River which has a multitude of upscale chain restaurants, so there are also other food choices within walking distance of the hotel.

The only problem I have with this property is the golf courses. They have 3 nine hole courses (North, South, West) for which they charge $115 for morning tee times for 18 holes in the high season. The West 9 holes is supposed to be the best and a couple of the holes come up next to the patio of Blu Ember. We played the North/West combination for our 18 holes and the course is not worth $115. It is very short and not in great shape. With all the golf choices in the Palm Springs area, I would not recommend the courses at Rancho Las Palmas.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Joey B
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed for two nights as part of our honeymoon fly-drive. We were very pleased with our stay and although we didn’t get the weather (it was November), we enjoyed the use of the pool and Splashtopia (in reality just a lazy river run and a couple of slides – but very nice).

We stayed in a Vista room and it was really nice, very big and furnished very smartly, I’m not sure how long ago it was done but it all looked very modern. The balcony was lovely and we enjoyed the complimentary fizz and strawberries overlooking the golf course.

We had a really nice breakfast at BluEmber and whilst it wasn’t cheap, it was very good. There is also a cafe area in the courtyard behind the main reception which does good snacks. The staff were very good and there is obvious pride in the upkeep of the resort.

The only thing that really held it back from full marks was that we had a problem with the hot water in the morning, but to be fair this was fixed very promptly.

We will be back for sure!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Santa Ana, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I'm more in favor of cheap motels in the wilderness than the perfectly manicured sculpted environment. But we found it very relaxing. And there was a strong windstorm that broke trees, leaving one poor raccoon exposed to our cameras -- neat surprise! The hotel was expensive for food so we went across the street and ate at Applebys. There were lots of kids golfing with their dads -- no kidding - the moms were all in the spa. And the kids thoroughly enjoyed the pool too. It was, overall, a great experience.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Salt Lake City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

We stayed at this property dec ,2011 front desk and bell service ,valet was wonderful very helpful rooms were nice and big and the balconys were very nice i would definately stay there again .property is beautiful

Room Tip: ask about the differnt sections and how close you are to main entrance '
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sammy0608
California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

I just returned from a business meeting at Rancho Las Palmas. I checked in a day early as I had other business in the area, with the additional night provided at our group rate. I called a few days before to confirm that I was arriving a day earlier than my group, and at that time I spoke to the reservation specialist about the room type. She assured me that it was a king non-smoking, and that it would be located close to the meeting facility. This property is huge, and I didn't want to be in the far corner away from the meeting.

When I arrived the valet was very friendly and offered a warm greeting. The front desk clerk, Andrew, was very pleasant. When I was checking in I confirmed that I was with my group, and that I would be paying for the extra night myself at the group rate. Andrew and I also discussed the room type, with him telling me that I was in a king room, with a golf course view. He gave me my keys and a map to my room. I did appreciate the fact that I could park in front of my room, which was very convenient. However, my room could not have been further away from where my meeting was held. I ended up driving up both mornings. To be fair, I could have called for a golf cart to come and pick me up, but didn't want to wait.

The meeting room was nice, although the temperature control was not working very well. We were constantly warm and the air was stuffy. The continental breakfast we ordered for our meeting was very good. We ate lunch in their restaurant, Bluember, and it was very good, with excellent service. I ate breakfast there with some colleagues on Saturday and it was terrific.
As for my room, it was very spacious and did open up onto the golf course. I had a door leading out onto a small patio with chairs. The drapes had some disgusting mystery stains on them that I did not inspect to closely, and there were holes in them. The toilet seat looked worn and stained, which is a pet peeve of mine. How much does it cost to replace a toilet seat on a regular basis? Not much.

The first night was very peaceful. The second night not so much. I had someone check into the room above me, and I could hear every step they took. I don't think they were stomping or anything, it was that the subfloor was creaking with every step and there didn't seem to be any soundproofing between the floors. Not to mention that when I returned from dinner there was a huge bug in my room, so I was afraid to walk around with out hard sole shoes on.

What really irritated me was when I checked out. Andrew asissted me again, and was very pleasant. However, when I was confirming the rate for the extra night, asking him if it was our group rate, he said "Yes that is the group rate, good for a room or a suite". I looked at him and said "You are telling me now as I am checking out that I could have had a suite?" He said yes. I told him that would have been very nice information to have had when I checked in and he really didn't have an answer. My exact words were "That sucks" and he said "Yes, that sucks". He should have been the one to provide the information at check in and offer to give me a suite, but he didn't. When I spoke to the person in our group who arranged our meeting, she said that all of us were to have had suites and she was surprised that we didn't. I guess she was the only one who ended up with one.

It is my opinion that they should have provided better customer service in informing us of the choices available, I mean who wouldn't want a suite if offered? Shady business in my opinion. I know the Humana Challenge was taking place so they were probably holding those suites open for customers who were not receiving a group rate.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay in a ground floor room unless they assured me that there would not be anyone abo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Kelly V
Marina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

We had an excellent stay at Ranchos Las Palmas. The food is amazing especially breakfast. Blu Ember has a really cool vibe and love the fireglass. Everyone is super nice. We stayed in the suite room, the bed was out of this world. We will definately be back for family vacations!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4.5 km away
JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa
6.6 km away
Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!