“Family-friendly resort with lots of pluses”

Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I was a little nervous about staying here given the many negative comments. The resort has a great, clean lazy river, plenty of pools and fun water cannons for the kids. The rooms were comfortable, good size, and clean. Starbucks in on site cafe. Restaurant is good but over priced, as most hotel restaurants are. Breakfast buffet is good, with very good fruit and lots of choices. Then spa and masseuse were great. Clean, open, well equipped. There are some negatives. In a sprawling resort, the fitness center is what you would typically find in a Hilton Garden Inn. Three old, creaky treadmills. Very few pieces of equipment. Poor air conditioning and ventilation in the fitness room. Wifi is expensive but spotty service. All that said, the service is good and property beautiful. I would return.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Jaewriter
RanchoLasPalmas, Manager at Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear Jaewriter,
Thank you for posting your review and for staying at Rancho Las Palmas! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay overall and were able to enjoy many areas of the resort and spa. Please know that I have passed your comments about the fitness room on to our management staff. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Sincerely, Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa

Write a ReviewReviews (3,839)

Reviewed 21 February 2012

When we arrived we had to wait for awhile at check-in. While we were waiting for our room to be cleaned, we had lunch at the Blue Ember and found that the prices were ridiculous for what we got. The tables were dusty. A lunch for three with just salads, a clam chowder and sandwich (not very good food) came to about $83.00 with one glass of wine. We bought the Expereince Package which allows a $50.00 coupon toward this restaurant every morning but found the prices there did not make it worth the expense. We would have saved a bunch of money by just paying the $30.00 spa price and $$$ resort fees that are tacked on to every room. Better to go across the river to one of the restaurants there like the cheesecake factory. At night the fires were nice but rarely could you find a place to sit by the fire pit. They had heaters by chairs that were placed farther away. It made a nice mood any way. If you go on a weekend, make sure to hit the College of the Desert market. It was within walking distance. The spa was ok. The steam room needs ecalyptus to cover the musty smell. They kept leading "tours" through for everyone that came there. Made it uncomfortable to go without a suit on. Most of the value of the spa came from being able to use the pool which was relaxing and quiet, far from the Splashtopia. All in all, we will return without buying the Experience Package and staying away from eating at the Blue Ember and not buying the $7.00 fruit smoothies that are only 3/4 the way full.

Room Tip: Like the views of the golf course. If you don't want to hear a bunch of children, stay away fro...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Grizzly79

Dear Grizzly79,
Thank you for posting your review. We're sorry to hear that you did not feel the Experience Package was a good value for you and that you did not enjoy bluEmber. I have forwarded your comments to our management team for training purposes in bluEmber and Spa Las Palmas. We hope that we'll be able to welcome you back for a truly enjoyable stay in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I was at the hotel for one week. We were lucky enough to be booked into a suite which was very comfortable, we slept great ! I found that the conference went very smoothly, I loved the outside terrace where we had both a lunch and all breakfasts. The spa was great, I was able to book what I wanted on the same day. I only wish that we had not been there on the one day of the year where it rained for several hours. The hotel staff were nonetheless very helpful !

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Travelat50,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your week with us and that the conference went well. It's too bad you had to be here during our rainy day but we hope that we'll be able to welcome you back ago soon for a very sunny vacation!

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Was at RLP for 7 nights. Good service. Nice upgrades in the bathroom of the suites. Very large rooms in all the suites. Could entertain 20+ people within the suite. Great outside cafe and fire pit. Very pleased in the service and accomodations.

Room Tip: The property is fairly large so if you have a problem walking, request a room in the 400-800 range.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I have stayed at the Rancho Las Palmas a couple of times and it is my favorite resort for a weekend getaway. Everything about the staff and service is top notch. The grounds are gorgeous. I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I was extremely pleased with Rancho Las Palmas. I booked one night for my wedding as the ceremony and reception were at a private residence in the area. I booked a King Vista room but when I checked in I was told I was upgraded to a suite. When I arrived at the room I found a complimetary bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting. The room overlooked the golf course. I can't complain about the weather as it was sunny and 72 degrees. My new bride was extremely happy when she saw the room. Blu ember was a nice place for a few drinks with friends. They had an outdoor area with firepits and live music. The only complaint I have is the room service breakfast was $78 for two people and that was just some eggs and bacon and a smoothie. I would definately stay again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 February 2012

rooms are smelly like musty, with a bad strong perfume soap smell covering vomit smell. We asked to see 3 different rooms because of the smell in the first one. We didn’t get away from the smell no matter what we did.

There is that weird plaster cottage cheese on walls. Small bathtub with shower combined. Can't take a clean bath. There were dirty wine glasses out side our door that we passed at least 15 times on our way in and out of our room. Never were they cleaned up. I took a photo but can't find it right now. The rooms had dusty corners and dust in the creases of the sofa bed. We asked for a duvet cover for the sofa bed and were told "there's a blanket in the closet". Right, we saw the blanket, we want a clean sheeted duvet cover. Not a blanket that is used and then folded back without being washed.

Flat screen tv is not high definition my 8 year old says the picture is "pixilated". Food at Blu Ember is very chi chi weird like there is nothing to eat. Look at the menu online, you’ll see. Hot dog at pool was nasty. Turkey dog instead of beef, very mealy, not hot, lukewarm at best. When we asked it it was a turkey dog, yes, they said, but it didn't say that on the menu.

The bathrobes are the fancy velvet type, trimmed with a satin cord around the edges, and the robes are badly frayed. So as the rope trim wears away it leaves behind the plastic or nylon or polyester sewn onto the edges of the robe. The rope trim had become like barbed wire! The edges on your bathrobes are barbed. They scratch your skin. This is on both robes provided in the closet. Well I didn’t call housekeeping for more robes because at that point understood that if they are putting such an item into a guest room for the guests’ comfort, they actually have no clue whatsoever about what is happening in their hotel or how comfort and hospitality works.

Pool is fun for kids but gets old after a few hours. Would never see being there for more than a weekend. We lasted one night.

Need:

5.4 km away
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
10.8 km away
La Quinta Resort & Club, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Omni Rancho Las Palmas Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!