“Poor Customer Service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
“Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We are Starwood vacation home owners. We have stayed at this Westin resort many times in the past.

We also are Starwood Gold Members.

Recently for some reason Starwood kept calling us to give us a some super special on a Vacation Package, after months of refusal we finally took the deal.

Turns out we could not make the date I booked, I manage the kids T-Ball team. Bad dates, our fault.

So we called and tried to change the date. They said no. After some brief banter back and forth, we finally relented and asked if we could give it to some one else.

They finally said that would be fine.

They then told me we will have to check in with them. I said WHAT? They said we must be present on check in...

Now, since I do own a few hotels I know that you can do a 3rd Party Auth, hotels do them all the time.

So I called the Hotel directly, the manager got on the phone and told me we had to be present at check in.

I told the Manager - I will fax over my ID / CC and a forum you should have no issue. He then told me since this was done though SALES and the SALES DEPT. finds out they might change it to RACK RATE. I told him that is just non-sense and he knows it.

He then said he just could not promise anything.

I said ok, so let me get this straight, I spend thousands and thousands with Starwood every year, I own a time share with Starwood, but you will not allow us to do a 3rd party Auth and will force us to drive all the way to Palm Springs from Los Angeles on a Friday to check some one else in ( this 2.5 hour drive one way, coming back could 3 or 4 due to traffic ).

So in the car my wife went and drove all the way to Palm Spring from Los Angeles, she started at 2Pm and did not return until 7:30 PM, ( yes the drive is that awful on a Friday ).

She checked in and put our guests names ont eh register and signed off everything.

The manager then came out and apologized and offered us 10,000 Starwood points for their completely dis-regard for loyal customers.

She said thank you, walked our guest to the room, walked them around the grounds and then left.

When she returned I asked her everything was, she told me it looked as thought the place was starting to become run down a bit and she felt very insulted by the managers 10,000 point offer.

She said the manager was doing it out of some strange obligation or something, not once did he ever mention any wrong doing and felt they were completely justified by their actions.

Well we feel we have had about enough with those type of customer service antics and will be taking our business elsewhere...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank picataggio

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (677)
  • Korean first
Muncie, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

The poor service began at check-in when the front desk forgot to provide restaurant coupons (we later found out). That evening we dined in the bar and the male server was very rude and told us the coupon we were just handed was unavailable for use. Later that night when it dipped to 40F we turned on the heat and it did not work. After the maintenance man left we realized the remote was dead and he had to be called back for a replacement. The following day my massage was only 45 minutes when I paid for 50 and while checking out I was made to feel like a creep for not wanting to extend the automatically applied 18% gratuity. When we left I was waiting for the front desk person to ask about our stay, but she didn't. The service in this hotel is terrible and the staff lack basic customer service training. We will not be coming back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Deanna P P
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Deanna P P,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate all your comments, concerns and feedback. We would like to extend our apologies for the challenges during your stay. We strive to provide the best possible service for our guest. We would be happy to discuss your stay further. Please feel free to contact us at denise.harnett@westin.com. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the best service the Westin was founded upon.

Bellevue, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

I usually have great experiences with the Westin - below were my issues for my stay during March

1) Express service button was not express. (phone rang for 5min - no answer) Called back 3 times. I was trying to order room service. Button should be renamed - we will get to you when we can.

2) Express service button did not follow through. After multiple attemps (again) to get someone on the phone, I asked for some personal items to be delivered to my room. They never came. I had to follow up the next day personally at the front desk - and only 1 of the 3 items was delivered. (Service button should be renamed - we may or may not get your request right)

3) The air conditioner (in Palm Springs remember) was turned off from the main unit (where you require screws and a ladder --- It took maintenance 1 1/2 day to fix - so yes my first night's rest was not restful at all.

4) I was lying on my bed relaxing and the door started to open (it was housekeeping). She did not knock and even with the top latch on, the door opened far enough where she saw me.. well, I told you the air conditioning was broken. She promptly apologized - but I am still wondering --- where did the "housekeeping" and a knock go?

5) Lastly - the door did not lock after I left. I only noticed this after the second night when I headed out and forgot something and I was able to push the door open before I inserted the key. I tried this several times -- and yes I the lock was not functioning - the reality being I did not need a key. Since I was running late for dinner, I did not want to call service express (see previous comments above) so I trusted my instinct that my things would be safe or the lack of air conditioning would discourage any would-be thief.

Staying at Westin - Rancho Mirage - bring your own security.

Room Tip: Ask which building you are staying in because the complex is huge.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank DTraveler206
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear DTraveler206,

Thank you for your recent review. Please know we appreciate and encourage all your feedback as this allows us to provide the best possible service. We have notified the various departments mentioned and apologize for the challenges you faced. We encourage you to join us again so we may provide the finest service the Westin was founded upon.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Recently stayed 4 days at this Resort & Spa, travelling with two others. We each felt it was a very relaxing atmosphere. Stayed in Bldg. 5, good location to main pool as well as next to Adult Pool. Felt the bar service at this main pool was excellent ~ very hot day and we were tended to timely, even with the pool area packed. Too bad some child pooped in the pool, shutting it down around noon for the entire rest of the day! Not the hotel's fault so I appreciate their diligence in making certain water is cleaned & rid of potential harmful bacteria. Slide and hot tub was still available though since they have their own separated water. Pool staff does their best to keep ducks out of water, but beware, ducks poop in water. Ate lunch on a Sunday at restaurant, wait staff was friendly & attentive, entrees and desserts were very tasty, prices as to be expected for resort restaurant. Lounge service in main building was spotty, both during busy and slow times. Not friendly service at all. All other staff we encountered at resort were very upbeat and helpful. They were great!

Since there were 3 of us and we had a room with a King bed, we had been advised by a staff member to have the roll-away bed brought in vs. using the hide-a-bed. Great advice! As everyone knows, hide-a-bed mattresses are thin and uncomfortable. The resort uses the Westin Heavenly Bed mattress on their roll-away, so opt for that to be brought in to your room, you won't regret the minor inconvenience of the bed in the room. You can fold it up in the morning after your great night's sleep. : )

Now for the negatives: The biggest issue is their lack of internet connection!!! Your $27 per day resort fee includes internet usage. I would say during our 4 days stay we were able to access the internet with no problems for perhaps 2 hours total !! There is a hook-up for hardwire in the room, but I have Apple products - so my iPad couldn't be used with their hard wire, since their WiFi was basically unusable. Each area has a separate WiFi sign-in, whether it's Lobby or Guest Room. I had several rather imporant tasks that needed to be dealt with and I spent FAR too much time talking to the front desk or their Tech Support Department. I was told that the City of Rancho Mirage will not allow a cell tower to be erected so thus the horrible cell reception. (Between 3 of us we had T-Mobile and AT&T. We either had no service or would make a call and 30 seconds later be cut off and unable to recall.) After much griping (wow, this was incredibly frustrating!!!), one of the front desk staffers gave me a $30 credit. Paid $81 in Resort Fees and received $30 credit....too tired to argue about minimal credit considering we had 2 hours of WiFi. Big issue, so beware.

We did spend a few hours in the spa for massages. Two of us had lovely quiet rooms, but the other one was escorted for her massage to a room in the nail salon area. She definitely did not get the peace and quiet the other two of us did, as the noise and chatter from the nail area was disrupting to any sense of solitude one looks forward to when getting a massage. This "extra room" should not be used for massages. Massages were a bit different than any of us had experienced. (San Jacinto Massage). Each of us remarked how the technique used was a fast working of the hands. Because of that it made me feel like I was being rushed through, even though I had 50 minutes. This technique surprised me and while overall the massage was decent, I felt hurried because of the too-quick movement of the hands.

A couple other negatives, but I don't want to nit-pick; nothing huge. I feel it's most important though to point out the internet issue.

Would I return here? Doubtful. There are tons of other properties & resorts in the greater Palm Springs area to try out first.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor rooms better lighting and view; building close to resort entrance makes the walk easier an...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LovesSunshine56
Dear LovesSunshine56,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate the time you took to provide us with all your feedback and lovely compliments. We strive to provide the best service for our guest so your getaway is relaxing and you feel renewed. We'd like to apologize for the internet challenges you faced during your stay. Please know that we are doing everything possible to improve our services daily so you may enjoy all the amenities available. We hope you will give us another opportunity and visit us again soon. We thank you for your patronage and look forward to welcoming you back.

Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights during a conference recently and, though overall this is a nice property, I was less than impressed with several aspects of the resort.

The conference facilities are more than adequate, and in general, the resort property is very scenic, with especially nice views of the mountains and golf course at the back of the property.

The layout is less than ideal - the resort is huge, and instead of it consisting of one building, there are 16 separate buildings with guest rooms spread evenly on both sides of the main building. For those in the buildings farthest away, it's a loooooong walk, all outdoors, to reach the main building. If you're leaving the main building, there are always plenty of hotel staff with golf carts who are more than happy to take you anywhere, but if you're in a far-away building and need to get to the main building, you either have to call ahead for a ride, or plan on walking. In each building, all of the hallways are open-air. This would be lovely in moderate weather, but when I was there it turned cold and very windy, and rained on one occasion, which meant several days of half-running to my room in the cold and wind, and one miserable dash from my room/building through the rain to get to the main lobby. I imagine it would also be unpleasant in the stifling desert summer to have to walk long distances in the blazing sun to get back and forth from your room to the main building.

The main areas of the hotel are very nice. My biggest issues were with my room. I stayed in a ground-floor room in Building 4. The room looked nice upon first glance, though it was perpetually dark due to being on the ground floor - and I couldn't leave the curtains open because anyone walking by could see into my room easily... so I had to keep the curtains closed most of the time, and all of the lights on all of the time. So much for the view!

There are tons of wandering paths to walk on around the resort, and nice views from many angles. I felt a bit sheepish when I went for a walk one day, and only saw when I turned around to come back that the path I was on was supposedly for golf carts only - this hadn't been marked from the side where I entered the path. A bit more signage to direct pedestrians vs. golf traffic would be helpful. I and several others also felt that the walkways were not lit brightly enough at night - it was very dark walking around the resort, which creeped me out when walking back to my room alone at night since the paths wind around dark corners and around the sides of buildings. More lighting would make for safer walking.

Upon closer inspection, I found that all of the cabinet doors in my room (under the TV, at the coffee station/minibar) sat ajar and couldn't be closed properly due to the hinges being broken. The double light between the beds sat at an angle, loose on the wall. A big ball of lint was wedged into the air vent over my bed - so large that at first I thought it was a dead mouse in the vent. The bathroom was nice (big points for having lighting on the sides of the mirror instead of just overhead!), but the toilet and tub/shower were stuck in a small, undecorated, depressing room off the main vanity area. The light in this room had a CFL bulb which took forever to warm up and light the room - so I had to turn on the light several minutes before I actually used the bathroom, or else it was so dark in there I could barely see. This, combined with the messily-applied and somewhat mildewy grout on the tub, and the fact that there wasn't a single picture or decorative item in the room, made it seem like a dungeon. The fixtures in the tub were installed at an off angle - really shoddy workmanship, and the tub itself was tiny, narrow and cheap; nowhere near what you would expect in a pricy resort. Towels felt like sandpaper - I can understand it at a cheap hotel, but is it too much to ask for a resort to use fabric softener??

I noticed the first day that my bathroom had no trash can. I moved a recycling can from my room into the bathroom, hoping that Housekeeping would take the cue and realize I was missing a trashcan. The next day, I returned to find that the recycling can had been moved back into my room, and again no trashcan in the bathroom. This happened every single day of my stay - I moved a trashcan from my room into the bathroom, and Housekeeping moved it back out again. How can you not provide a trash can in a bathroom????? I also noticed that I had no Do Not Disturb sign on my door. I tried to ask a Housekeeping maid for one when I noticed the cart outside one day, but she didn't speak English and just held up the green tag you're supposed to hang in order to decline housekeeping services.

Room service was overpriced, not surprising at a resort (french toast, bacon, a banana and a glass of milk was $30). I ordered room service breakfast twice; the first time, I placed my order the night before and specified a delivery time, per the card on my TV stand. 15 minutes past my delivery time, I called to find out where my breakfast was. After a short wait I was told cheerfully that it was being prepared and would be sent out shortly - no apology. I asked that it be discounted since it was going to be more than 25 minutes past the time I had requested, and I was now going to be in a time crunch to eat and make it to a meeting. Guest Services called back in a couple of minutes and confirmed that they would discount my bill. I ordered again the next day - not a pre-order, I called in the morning to order - and the food arrived promptly.

On the last night of my stay, I noticed before leaving for dinner that my thermostat display had gone blank and didn't seem to be getting any power. I called to inquire about it, in case it needed attention. I was told that work was being done on several buildings, and they didn't know when the thermostat would come back on... and that they could bring extra blankets if I was concerned about being cold. !! For what you pay per night, to be without heat or any way to adjust the temperature?? Thankfully I'd had the heat on earlier, as it had been cold during the day, and my room was toasty at that point. Good thing, because the thermostat didn't come on again until mid-morning the next day. Thankfully my room stayed comfortable through the night.

I ate at all of the restaurants on the property and enjoyed all of my meals there - very good food and service. Hotel staff were extremely friendly and approachable, and a couple of times a staff member in a golf cart stopped to ask if I needed a ride anywhere when they came upon me walking along the resort paths. Other than the sub-par conditions in my room (for a resort at this price point), I was happy with my stay and would come back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back of the hotel, facing the golf course and mountains. Rooms on the front lo...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank ARoomWithAReview
Dear ARoomWithAReview,

Thank you for your most recent review. We appreciate all your comments and concerns as this allows us to provide the best possible services for our guests. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and have forwarded your comments to the various departments mentioned so we may follow up accordingly.

We would like to extend our apologies for the challenges you faced and hope you will give us another opportunity to extend the finest services the Westin was founded upon. Your feedback is very important to us and we encourage you to contact us so we may update your preferences for your future stay.

We thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your review and hope we will see in again soon. Should you need assistance with a future booking, please do contact us.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

The room itself was fine. The service in general was slow. The restaurant was incredibly disorganized. Loads of empty tables but a line out the door with no one to seat anyone or bust the tables. The spa was loud and obnoxious, way to small for the amount of people roaming through. I would be willing to pay a fee for spa access, if it would improve the current situation. The massage was so-so but nothing I'd brag about. This is a time share and hotel facility, so expect lots of kids everywhee. The satellite pools did not have service so you have to call it from the pool phone and wait for room service to deliver. Unless I have points, I don't plan on staying here again.

Room Tip: no elevators - so if you have lots of luggage get a first floor room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AmysGreatAdventure
Dear AmysGreatAdventure,

Thank you for your recent review. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the fine service the Westin was founded upon. We appreciate all your comments and feedback as this allows us to improve our services. We do hope to see you again soon and thank you for your patronage.

Albany, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

Somewhat dissapponted, it was only one night but we are platinum owners and with Platinum status we were told we would be upgraded to a wonderful room at any property. We got to your property and were greeted as gold members and we got an ok room. Nothing facing the mountains. No upgrade, nothing.
After all the money I have dumped into starwoods to attain this level of ownership I continue to be dissapponted with all the promised benefits.
My stay at your property was another example of this .

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank redhead56
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear redhead56,

Thank you for your recent review. We would like to extend our apologies for your recent experience at our property. We would like to assist you further so we may offer you the fine service the Westin Mission Hills was founded upon. Please contact us at denise.harnett@westin.com so we may further discuss your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
5.2 km away
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage
#2 of 8 in Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!