“Extremly Dissapointed”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Rancho Mirage
St. Helena, California
“Extremly Dissapointed”
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The first room we were assigned by the front desk clerk who assured us that it was one of the resorts loveliest, was dark ,dank and smelled of mildew. We were never told about the amenities on property even though our reservation came with a $50.00 credit to be used for golf or the spa. Still don't know where the spa is.Our second room was better in terms of smell but lacked cleanliness. There was hair on the floor of the bathroom and dirt/weeds on the carpeting.The bathroom though nice needed attention in terms of cleaning and caulking around the shower. The door to the bathroom made a horrible noise when you opened or closed it so everyone on that wing of the resort knew if you were using the bathroom at 3:00 in the morning. The front door would not lock unless you fussed with the mechanism for a few minutes, I called the front desk and mentioned that these two items could easily be fixed with a can of WD-40 and they promised to have it taken care of. So that evening after watching tennis matches at the Paribus open from 11:00am to 11:30pm we came back to our room only to find that our keys didn't work. Had to find a phone(not easy) on the lower level to call the front desk who then sent security who let us in to our still broken front door and noisy bathroom door.Oh...yes, parking was packed and extremely far away from our room. Next night we tried to get a bite to eat(after tennis)at 10:00 at the bar and we were told they were closed for food but we could get room service. So up to our room we went, where there was no room service menu. We called room service and were told only pizza and a salad could be served. Urgh! The service at the restaurant was completely negligent in spite of being the ONLY patrons sitting outside. Could not get water refills so I got up to get them myself. Our waiter completely disappeared,our food took 30 minutes for a salad and a sandwich at 4:00pm with not one other person in site.Friendly but inattentive waiter.In general the buildings look tired and old and it seems as if no one is in charge or cares. the grounds are beautiful but the rooms lack luster despite the update. Lighting in the room is very poor and makes it difficult to read in bed. Unbelievably the tennis tournament (Paribus open)that draws so many people to the area is not available to watch in the room,you need to go down to the bar. When we checked out we were asked about our stay and we reluctantly made two comments mostly so they would clean for the next guest and fix the door. The front desk clerk was gracious and apologetic and offered to credit our resort fee though we did not ask for any accommodations. That was a lovely gesture and we very much appreciated it. I would say that the general management needs to stay in the hotel and experience the lackluster environment from the guests point of view. Having stayed at many Westin's before....this one was a bitter disappointment. I can not recommend this hotel and for next years tennis tournament we will go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Patricia A
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear Patricia848;
On behalf of the bars and restaurants at the Westin Mission Hills I am deeply sorry for the experience you had both with room service as well as with our service at Bella Vista. As director of Bars and Restaurants including room service I can assure you this is not the service standards or hospitality that we train our associates to give our valued guests. I will be sharing your comments at our next department meeting and look forward to using your feedback as a tool to teach. I would love the chance to regain your trust not only at Westin Mission Hills but Westin at large.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and please let me know the next time you are out this way.

Dominic Scoles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Korean first
Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The Mission Hills resort in Palm Springs is one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. It is beautifully laid out with flowers everywhere. The pools are warm and big with great fun water slides. The surrounding mountains are spectacular. Our villa faced a man made stream with ducks and geese to entertain us. The restaurants are nice on the property also. The staff is really helpful and fast to send someone if you need anything. The only problem we had was with the washer which they had someone come and fix right away. The resort is big and if you want to get around you need to call for a shuttle or walk. It is a ways to the hotel area and tennis center so if you don't like the walk just call and they pick you up. We had a one bedroom and someone rented the lock off part of our unit for a night and the down side of that is you can hear everything that is said. You should also try to stay on the second floor if you are in a villa as the ground level patios get no sun. There are no elevator however if you are not able to take your luggage up to the second floor they would probably send someone to do it for you. It is a short drive from the airport and unlike other places we have been our condo was ready when we arrived at 11am and we got right in an had the whole day to enjoy. The bed in our condo was just heavenly. The bathroom could use more light but not a big deal. I would go back again to this resort. The weather was great and if you want a thrill try the aerial tram to the top of Mt San Jancito.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear hertzie,

Thank you for your lovely review. We as so happy to know you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide the best services so you may enjoy a enchanting stay with us. We appreciate all your feedback and thank you for your patronage. We do hope to see you again very soon.

London
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Returned to the Westin after 8 years and enjoyed our stay. Not much has changed, as such decor is somewhat dated and tired looking. The Chairman suite offers great space with nice views. Continental breakfast buffet is outstanding and great value for money, service can be a little chaotic when busy and feels uncoordinated. The bar serves as a restaurant as such I inviting and lacks atmosphere. A nice closy and relaxing bar is missing.
Don't expect anything from the pools. They are nice but totally overcrowded. Sitting 4 deep and chairs are chained to each other giving you maximum 2 inches of space- no tables etc. Guests are allowed to block sun loungers with towels, regardless of being around, as such the best chairs are blocked by 8am- this should not be allowed... Nobody checks that you are a registered guest, as such seems as if people walk in that don't even stay as registered guests. In summary, great resort but do t come for the pool. Some of the Concierge staff could do with training about the local area and what to do- they seem to be too focused on trying to get you on a sales tour to buy a timeshare of the Westin Vacation Club...

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank STEPDI
STEPDI;

First I want to thank you for the compliments regarding our buffet, there is no doubt that our culinary team takes great pride in delivering a quality breakfast to our valued guests such as yourself. As you can imagine this creates quite a high demand and can absolutely get a little chaotic at times. We are making great strides in this area and will continue working on this, feedback such as yours reminds us that this is important to our guests and gives us feedback to share with our associates.

As it relates to our bar / lounge we are currently working on our light, sound, and general ambiance, in an effort to give our space a much better atmosphere. I hope the next time you are out this way you give us another chance and check out one of our refreshed signature cocktails that will be rolling out this summer.

Thank you.
Dominic Scoles
Gilroy, California, United States
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I have always loved this resort and still do, except that the service has really gone downhill. I went to site inspect the property for a future trip for a group. I arrived a day before my meeting with the sales manager, dropped off my bags in the room and went for a quick late-afternoon lunch at 3pm. I asked if I could sit outside and still order food and the hostess said yes. I ordered a glass of wine and it took 20 minutes to arrive. I then ordered a sandwich, which took at least a half hour to arrive. My experience in total was 1.5 hours for a late afternoon lunch. Unacceptable. I thought I'd try again when my colleague arrived that evening. We went to the restaurant for dinner. Same problem...the service was terrible. The young man who took our order was nice enough when we saw him, but we saw him very little the entire dinner. We had to flag down another server down to get a second beverage. When we met with the sales manager the following morning my experience was completely different. I would assume that the staff was alerted that we were doing a site and couldn't do enough for us. It wasn't even slightly better service, it was like we were at a completely different resort the next morning. I find that a bit unsettling as all guests are paying to stay there and should receive great service. Due to the dramatic downhill in service, I chose not to book the Westin Mission Hills for our company incentive trip in 2013. On a positive note, the grounds of the property are still beautiful. The landscaping is very nicely kept and the workers in that area do an amazing job.

Room Tip: I stayed in a beautiful ground floor suite that was on the golf course. It was very easy to locate...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank momofcurlygirls
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear momofcurlygirls,
Thank you for your recent review and appreciate all your feedback. We apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay. It is always our intent to provide the best possible services for our guest so you enjoy and warm relaxing experience. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the service the Westin was founded upon. Thank you again for your comments as this allows us to improve our services. Should you need assistance or wish to discuss your stay further please feel free to contact us. We thank you for your patronage and hope to see you again soon.

Be Well.
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We are Starwood vacation home owners. We have stayed at this Westin resort many times in the past.

We also are Starwood Gold Members.

Recently for some reason Starwood kept calling us to give us a some super special on a Vacation Package, after months of refusal we finally took the deal.

Turns out we could not make the date I booked, I manage the kids T-Ball team. Bad dates, our fault.

So we called and tried to change the date. They said no. After some brief banter back and forth, we finally relented and asked if we could give it to some one else.

They finally said that would be fine.

They then told me we will have to check in with them. I said WHAT? They said we must be present on check in...

Now, since I do own a few hotels I know that you can do a 3rd Party Auth, hotels do them all the time.

So I called the Hotel directly, the manager got on the phone and told me we had to be present at check in.

I told the Manager - I will fax over my ID / CC and a forum you should have no issue. He then told me since this was done though SALES and the SALES DEPT. finds out they might change it to RACK RATE. I told him that is just non-sense and he knows it.

He then said he just could not promise anything.

I said ok, so let me get this straight, I spend thousands and thousands with Starwood every year, I own a time share with Starwood, but you will not allow us to do a 3rd party Auth and will force us to drive all the way to Palm Springs from Los Angeles on a Friday to check some one else in ( this 2.5 hour drive one way, coming back could 3 or 4 due to traffic ).

So in the car my wife went and drove all the way to Palm Spring from Los Angeles, she started at 2Pm and did not return until 7:30 PM, ( yes the drive is that awful on a Friday ).

She checked in and put our guests names ont eh register and signed off everything.

The manager then came out and apologized and offered us 10,000 Starwood points for their completely dis-regard for loyal customers.

She said thank you, walked our guest to the room, walked them around the grounds and then left.

When she returned I asked her everything was, she told me it looked as thought the place was starting to become run down a bit and she felt very insulted by the managers 10,000 point offer.

She said the manager was doing it out of some strange obligation or something, not once did he ever mention any wrong doing and felt they were completely justified by their actions.

Well we feel we have had about enough with those type of customer service antics and will be taking our business elsewhere...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank picataggio
Muncie, Indiana
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The poor service began at check-in when the front desk forgot to provide restaurant coupons (we later found out). That evening we dined in the bar and the male server was very rude and told us the coupon we were just handed was unavailable for use. Later that night when it dipped to 40F we turned on the heat and it did not work. After the maintenance man left we realized the remote was dead and he had to be called back for a replacement. The following day my massage was only 45 minutes when I paid for 50 and while checking out I was made to feel like a creep for not wanting to extend the automatically applied 18% gratuity. When we left I was waiting for the front desk person to ask about our stay, but she didn't. The service in this hotel is terrible and the staff lack basic customer service training. We will not be coming back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Deanna P P
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Deanna P P,

Thank you for your recent review. We appreciate all your comments, concerns and feedback. We would like to extend our apologies for the challenges during your stay. We strive to provide the best possible service for our guest. We would be happy to discuss your stay further. Please feel free to contact us at denise.harnett@westin.com. We do hope you will give us another opportunity to provide the best service the Westin was founded upon.

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I usually have great experiences with the Westin - below were my issues for my stay during March

1) Express service button was not express. (phone rang for 5min - no answer) Called back 3 times. I was trying to order room service. Button should be renamed - we will get to you when we can.

2) Express service button did not follow through. After multiple attemps (again) to get someone on the phone, I asked for some personal items to be delivered to my room. They never came. I had to follow up the next day personally at the front desk - and only 1 of the 3 items was delivered. (Service button should be renamed - we may or may not get your request right)

3) The air conditioner (in Palm Springs remember) was turned off from the main unit (where you require screws and a ladder --- It took maintenance 1 1/2 day to fix - so yes my first night's rest was not restful at all.

4) I was lying on my bed relaxing and the door started to open (it was housekeeping). She did not knock and even with the top latch on, the door opened far enough where she saw me.. well, I told you the air conditioning was broken. She promptly apologized - but I am still wondering --- where did the "housekeeping" and a knock go?

5) Lastly - the door did not lock after I left. I only noticed this after the second night when I headed out and forgot something and I was able to push the door open before I inserted the key. I tried this several times -- and yes I the lock was not functioning - the reality being I did not need a key. Since I was running late for dinner, I did not want to call service express (see previous comments above) so I trusted my instinct that my things would be safe or the lack of air conditioning would discourage any would-be thief.

Staying at Westin - Rancho Mirage - bring your own security.

Room Tip: Ask which building you are staying in because the complex is huge.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank DTraveler206
WestinMissionHills, Manager at Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear DTraveler206,

Thank you for your recent review. Please know we appreciate and encourage all your feedback as this allows us to provide the best possible service. We have notified the various departments mentioned and apologize for the challenges you faced. We encourage you to join us again so we may provide the finest service the Westin was founded upon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Mirage
11.7 km away
Hyatt Regency Indian Wells Resort & Spa
5.2 km away
The Ritz-Carlton, Rancho Mirage

Been to Westin Mission Hills Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!