“Beautiful location, Beautiful Resort.”
Review of Terranea Resort

Terranea Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 14 July 2009

As a local resident of the area, my husband and I decided to go try out the new resort. We were not disappointed. The Terranea Resort is absolutely beautiful. The hotel is tastefully decorated and designed. It is elegant without being "stuffy". The staff seemed eager and proud to show us around the property and were friendly and helpful. We enjoyed our late night dinner at their bar/restaurant, Nelson's, which overlooked the ocean and we kept warm by the firepits and fireplace. Afterwards, we took a short walk down to the ocean which is very relaxing and romantic. I highly recommend the Terranea for a relaxing get away.

3  Thank LetsEnjoyTraveling
Write a ReviewReviews (3,606)

Reviewed 14 July 2009

The location is amazing, the bar with the fireplace off of reception is beautiful and the views are fantastic. The service is not 5-Star, I do not blame the staff because most likely they were not trained. I stayed there 3 nights and each day there was a list of things that went wrong. The highlights 1) Valet lost our car 2) plumbing backed up into bathroom took 60 minutes and dozens of phone calls to get assitance 3) Adult Pool and three of four wooden beds with broken hinges and they could not be used 4) Adult Pool attendants were useless 5) Nelson's food was mediocre, but expensive 6) after tracking down and accessing business center all computers were password protected checked with reception and after a series of calls I was told I went to "the fake business center" and I shouldn't have accessed that room, that for me was the last straw I spent 30 minutes trying to print boarding passes and checking out only to be told I was at fault. My experience was probably felt even more disappointing because I had just stayed at the Four Season's in Scottsdale, AZ that was pure luxery and I should not have expected that experience at this resort considering all of the negative reviews.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank motorinhank
Reviewed 13 July 2009

This place is wonderful. We stayed in a three room casita (for four nights) which would easily accommodate three couples and give them all private large bedrooms and bathrooms. Spacious patio - additional sitting area at entry with fireplace. Golf course wasn't open yet, but that was the only disappointment. We will return even when the prices go back up. If you missed out on the promotional offer then you missed the deal of a lifetime.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2009

.Rave reviews from friends prompted a short stay and birthday celebration at Terranea.

After an efficient and friendly check in we turned to our rooms and the view out of the corridor window on the way was exquisite and I hope it was carefully planned and not an accident of design….. That view is echoed throughout the hotel which occupies a fabulous location.
Room quality was excellent, opening onto the pool area giving easy but secure access. Our rooms were adjoining which always helps in child management! Simple but elegant furnishings and exquisite linens made the rooms a joy.
A pool cabana was useful in the heat and for just ensuring the children stayed out of the sun for excessive periods. Pool staff assisted with entertainment , toys and games , joining in and providing guidance. A DVD player in the Cabana was a nice touch as was fresh fruit.
While no lifeguard is usually present in the family pool ( there is also an adult pool which we did not use) the water slide was carefully monitored and we were grateful for that.

Dinner at Catalina Kitchen was excellent, with better than expected service from a well informed and eager to please waitress who managed the adult and child part of the party fantastically well. Starters were individually portioned not huge but adequate and we shared the Clam Chowder, the Mezze and the Calamari and resisted the temptation to order more between the 6 of us adults. We sampled a variety of the gourmet flatbreads and a good part of the rest of menu , we would highlight the Berkshire pork, a Grilled Pork Chop accompanied by a confit of Belly pork. I never thought I would find myself writing about a Pork Chop but this was the best I have ever eaten !! It has to be tried!!
Star of the main course? The Mac and Cheese with Pancetta and truffle oil….. one of the sides we chose and couldn’t resist ordering more of.
The wine selection was very good and even at the lower priced end we found good value in the Husch Pinot Noir and the Frogs Leap Sauvignon Blanc.

My family left having had a great time and felt thoroughly well looked after, we had a 5 star experience at a 5 star resort and we are looking forward to the next trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Epicure_Roger
Reviewed 12 July 2009

This is a beautiful resort with coastal views from just about every corner of the resort. We stayed in a very comfortable resort view room with the views of the Palos Verdes hills. Saturday evening, we had dinner at Catalina Kitchen around 8:45 p.m., had to wait 40 minutes before getting seated. The waiter was friendly, however, we had to repeatedly ask for water, bread, & sharing plates; when we finally got the sharing plates, they were wet plates. The dinner took another 45 minutes to arrive at the table. It was a very long evening. On Sunday, we had lunch at Nelson's, waited 45 minutes before getting seated. The food & drinks were pricey, but beautiful ocean views compensated for the high prices. The food at both places were okay. (If you are staying for a few days, and would like to take a drive, the food is better at Brix 1601 in Redondo Beach just 20 minutes away). This was only the 2nd weekend after grand opening, and I hope things will improve in the near future.
In addition to the resort fees of $25/day, the parking fee is $30/night. They don't tell you about the additional parking fees until you get the bill. My car was covered with water spots when the valet brought it to us, I guess it was parked next to a sprinkler system.
I do hope the resort will remove the ridiculous $30 parking fee.
Overall, it was a nice weekend shared with good friends in a beautiful place.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank luv55
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I was a little hesitant to try this hotel as some the the early reviews were pretty brutal, but I saw a special and decided to give it a try anyway. Our stay was mid-week and I must say that we were very impressed with the property, but their were a few things that ended up tarnishing our overall impression of the resort.
Being a new hotel the rooms are very nice. Bathrooms are spacious and the bed was very comfortable. HD TV and HBO was a big plus. The free wireless internet was great as well.
They certainly have some kinks to work out on the service front, but overall they seem to be making progress here. We did not use the spa, but the fitness center was well appointed. There is a great pool adjacent to the fitness center, but it is only available for use in conjunction with spa treatments or for an additional fee. We only saw 3 people use it one day and 2 the other. The other two pools are nice. A smaller "adult" pool is on the cliff and is where we spent most of our time. Good service and the food was good as well. The salt water pool was different and very refreshing. The bigger pool is great for families with kids, as it has a water slide. But it was loud and fairly crowded for a hotel that we were told was at 30% occupancy. If it ever gets to normal occupancy rates the pool area would be really crowded I suspect
We did eat at Nelson's and found the food to be fine and the service good. Think the reviews on this restaurant were a little rough. The setting at dusk is spectacular. We did not eat at any of the other restaurants opting to drive to Manhattan Beach (15 miles away) for dinner the other night we were there.
Couple of things to watch out for. Upon check out they had raised our room rate to ocean view. We questioned the charge at check out, the front desk clerk said "we were upgraded" We informed her that we did not ask for an upgrade and they quickly removed it. Frankly the room they said they upgraded us to could see the ocean but you had to look over the top of the restaurant roof. I would not have paid any more for it. There are some pretty awesome room views but it did not seem that many were occupied.
Another area is valet parking. It is $30 night! Seems pretty steep given the self parking is free and only about 100 yards away from the entrance. It was printed on the back of the car claim check, so I should have noticed. This probably would not have irritated me as much if I had not noticed later that that my car was parked by sprinklers and had water spots all over the front.
Here's my bottom line. The grounds are beautiful. At under $200 a night I would give it another shot, but this is no 5 starr resort by any means at this time. The service is spotty and very inconsistent. They contact staff is very young and inexperienced. I suspect they may get this right over time, but for now I have to echo the comments I saw before we decided to give it a try.

4  Thank Hawksurfs
Reviewed 8 July 2009

This is not a resort. It pretends to be one. I went for sort of a "staycation" since it is only an hour from my house. (I couldn't get in another plane, but wanted to getaway). I wrote the manager a note about my disappointment, which I thought was rather light hearted, but clear -- no response. This is what was the problem with the hotel, the level of service was poor. They were not understaffed, but under trained. The management seems to be unavailable. The views and overall compound is really great, but this hotel is not to the level of it's competitors on the coast. It charges a resort fee of $25 a day, but it is not delivering the items the fee is suppose to cover. Seems bogus, and a bit of a cheat. I would not recommend this hotel at all. I had dinner with some big wigs from marketing at a Hollywood studio today and they do lots of meetings around town and gave this place a thumbs down. Too bad. I am happy to recommend, but when your requests for explanation from the mgmt go without even a form letter it is - unacceptable. I could list all the problems but it would take another page. Save your money and take a drive down the coast, have a nice meal somewhere, buy a good ocean sound CD, put your money in some nice Frette linens for you own bed, and create your own vacation. Don't waste your hard earned cash on this place. If you want to step out, save a bit more and go to the Montage or a Four Seasons. The Four Seasons is king of service, they set the bar, built it and stocked it.

7  Thank SteveM2222
PRDirector, Director of Public Relations at Terranea Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2009

Thank you for your comments and I sincerely apologize that your visit to Terranea was unsatisfactory and even more apologetic that I was not made aware of your disappointment in our resort prior to your departure. Our guests feedback is important to us, and helps ensure that all future guests receive the outstanding luxury service we strive for. Thank you for your comments, I would be very appreciative if you could forward your detailed comments once again to me directly at terraneaevp@destinationhotels.com so that we may discuss further and so I may offer my personal apology. Terri A. Haack, Executive Vice President & Managing Director.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rancho Palos Verdes
Americas Best Value Inn
#2 of 2 in Rancho Palos Verdes
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Casa del Mar
#5 of 36 in Santa Monica
Shade Hotel
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to Terranea Resort? Share your experiences!