“Staff courteous and friendly everywhere we went; nice place to stay if you like access to Redondo Beach Pier” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel

The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Columbia, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012 via mobile

The room was pleasent without the typical funny odor of so many hotel rooms. I found our bed comfortable, the hot water hot and the amenities on par for the price. I agree with one of the other guest comments about the cost of parking.How many people are taking a shuttle or taxicab here anyway, really? Can't imagine that more than a hand full don't drive here, especiallly given that the only way to get around would be walking or biking to close by areas without a car. Why not simply offer a discount to the non-drivers and just charge at the room rate (already have the green incentive)? The current way seems gimicky as a way to make the rooms appear less expensive. I am from the area and come back to town about twice a year to visit family and friends. First time at the Portfino. The only other issue was the last morning (Saturday) of our stay when the room upstairs seemed to be conducting a wrestling match with all the noise and pounding that woke my family. The lobby, free bikes (when available) and courteous staff were the highlights of our trip. I would stay here again.

Stayed March 2012
maxdrea77, General Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the use of our complimentary bikes and you’re your room accommodation met your expectation. I also thank you for your comments regarding parking. As it is now, we do charge for parking as the city is charging us for the use of that space.
Thank you again for your comments and feel free to call me personally next time you visit our area.

310-379-8481

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Thai first
St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Got this hotel on a special offer, and was pleasantly surprised with my experience. Sure, the decor was a little dated, but somehow seemed to suit the nautical theme. Front desk staff, bar staff and cleaners were outstanding; always friendly and helpful. Location was good- next to the pier, with small shops and restaurants within an easy walk. Room was spacious, clean and especially well laid out with a sitting area by the tv. We had a patio with a great water view, and plenty of sea lions and birds to watch. Small pool and hot- tub, but pool was well heated.Bar area had a fireplace and plenty of comfy chairs(great for accessing wireless) We ate at the restaurant; food was good and service not bad. Parking fee is same for self park and valet. Bit of a distance from attractions in LA, but a nice location in itsel, especially if you have an interest in boats. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Worthwhile to up-grade to ocean view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
maxdrea77, General Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am please that you found our staff to be very friendly and that you enjoyed the views of the sea lions and the birds in the area. I hope that you will continue to recommend our hotel to your friends and family.

Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

As I have read in other reviews of this hotel, upon arrival we were also asked if we would like to upgrade to a room with a view. We did and were very happy that we did so. On the front side of the hotel there is the "lovely view" of a big power plant. So, I suggest others to book a room with a view so you are sure you will not have to see the power plant. Another issue was the parking. I do not think guest should have to pay for parking. On the positve side, we enjoyed the free bike rentals and the location next to the beach. We really enjoyed watching the sea lions, dolphins and other wild life. The staff was always pleasant and gave us good sightseeing tips.

Room Tip: book a room with the view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I glad that you enjoyed the overall service of the hotel and that you find the bikes were fun to use. Although I understand that being charged for parking is an inconvenience, we do indeed charge for parking as the city is taxing us for the use of the space and most hotels do as well.

Dallas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

I've been staying at the Portofino for many years. Wonderful location. Charming hotel. Not a great hotel, but good. Mattresses are cheap and sag in the middle. Work station is a very uncomfortable chair and desk. My first night there, the heater was stuck on. Very hot in the room and I didn't sleep all night. I called. A repairman came. Said he fixed it. Had a second night. Same problem. Called again. Rather than fix it, I had to move rooms. In the end, no apology or adjustment. I won't stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
maxdrea77, Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am sorry that your air conditioning unit did not work properly and that you found your mattress uncomfortable. We do renovate some of our rooms every year in order to stay competitive and maintain our product up to par. I have informed my engineering manager of the issue with the air conditioning unit to ensure that this does not happen again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

My friend and I just spent 6 days at the Portofino. We loved the hotel and it's location. The beautiful lobby and lounge were welcoming and quaint. We enjoyed numerous glasses of wine there and had a lovely evening meal. Our room was spacious and well appointed. Everything went according to plan!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
maxdrea77, General Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am glad that you enjoyed relaxing in our lobby with a glass of wine and that you found your room to be spacious and well appointed.

los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Lovely view of the water. Very cape cod style hotel. Great service. Rooms would need a little upgrading. Walls are thin and room was cozy but small. Would go again, but definitely request room on upper floor.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
maxdrea77, General Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I glad that you enjoyed the overall service of the hotel and that you find the hotel décor pleasant. We do update some of our rooms periodically and keep our rooms in line with the competition. I will be sure to include to your profile that you prefer rooms on the third floor.
Thank you again for your comments and feel free to call me personally next time you visit our area as I will be happy upgrade you to an ocean room if we have the availability.

Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

Big spacious and comfortable rooms, comfortable bed, nice to be right on the marina with views of sea lions from the lounge. I was in a marina side room which was fine from my perspective as I don't need a room with a great view. The food in the restaurant was good (much better than at a lot of the surrounding restaurants). You can also hire boating, kayak and stand up paddle equipment from the kiosk nearby.

The service was friendly but a bit impractical at times - e.g., no information on hotel services in the room and none given at check-in and I asked them to book me a taxi to the airport and they booked a limo which was a waste of money. Having said that, these are things that can be easily worked around by being more explicit about what you want.

Room Tip: Probably not a bad idea to ask for a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor as these would feel a bit more sec...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I glad that you enjoyed the overall service of the hotel and that you find the sea lions playing in front of the hotel amusing. The valet that ordered you a limo should have asked you for a choice between a taxi and a limo as there is a small difference in price.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redondo Beach
0.3 km away
Shade Hotel
Shade Hotel
#9 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel? Share your experiences!