“Sea lions and a warm fire”

The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Redondo Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago
“Sea lions and a warm fire”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed a week at the Redondo Beach Portofino and we enjoyed it. Our first room overlooked the marina (and parking lot) so we asked to move the next morning . That room overlooked the sound, the sea lions and the ocean, with views of Palos Verdes and Catalina Island - much nicer. The chilly end of March was (somewhat) offset by the lobby fireplace with comfy chairs and (lobby only) wi-fi. Staff were helpful and polite. We would certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
maxdrea77, General Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am glad that we were able to move you to a room facing the ocean and that you enjoyed the quaintness of the hotel lobby. It is also nice to know that you enjoyed the playful sea lions.
Thank you again for your comments and feel free to call me personally next time you visit our area.

310-379-8481

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Thai first
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here as a last minute get-a-away. Upon check-in, we were greeted by a beautiful, yet intimate lobby. We stayed on the 3rd floor, and have a wonderful view of the ocean. Sunsets were breathtaking. The room was immaculate, bed super comfy, and I liked the motion lights in the bathroom.I loved watching the seals play at dusk and dawn! The hotel staff were very helpful in providing directions to different places. I would defy stay here again!

Room Tip: We had a nice ocean view on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
maxdrea77, General Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am glad that you found our rooms and lobby to be inviting and comfortable. It is also nice to know that you enjoyed the playful sea lions.

Middleburg Heights, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We recently stayed the weekend at the Portofino at the end of my husband's business
trip to Las Vegas. Our first trip to LA, and used to the Southern East Coast, we were quite pleased with the quaintness of the hotel, enjoyed the beautiful scenery and ocean. The sea lions were delightful. Our room was well kept, bed comfy and enjoyed sitting on our porch with view of marina. The valet gave us a great welcome with plenty of info on the surrounding area and some free coupons. That being said, we had nothing but problems with the front desk. Upon checkin, we had asked for the parking charges to be in cash (business trip exp acct.) as the
room was on our credit card. We were told this would be done at checkout. It never happened. We asked for paperwork to verify our rate - we were told an amount, only to find out later that a huge extra deposit had been put on our card - almost the cost of a night's stay - which was not included in the amount we were told. I realize it is common to ask for a deposit - but $150 for a 2 night stay should be told to the guest at checkin. At checkout, we were charged for 2 waters from the mini bar we did not drink but had moved to a different table. Although this expense was taken off, 2 days after we got home we were erroneously charged for a $94. dinner from Baleen we did not order. (After calling 4 times and asking to talk to a manager - experiencing rudeness from front desk and being hung up on - we were told the dinner was ordered by people checking into our room after we left! Nice that he apologized but looks really bad for hotel.)
We expect a vacation to be relaxing and stress free with only good surprises! To have to spend our time fixing the inaccuracies of our bill with rude people is just not fun....

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank ellegriz
maxdrea77, General Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the quaintness of the hotel and that our valets were found to be helpful. It is also nice to know that you enjoyed the playful sea lions. I am however sorry that our front desk staff was not able to follow proper procedure and appeared rude to you. I have spoken to our front office manager to ensure that these mistakes do not happen again in the future.

Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Portofino during a weekend in LA. We could not have been happier with our decision to stay at the hotel. From check-in to drinks in the "living room" to the bikes we borrowed for a ride along the beach, the Portoino does not disappoint. The atmosphere is one of casual relaxation. Every member of the staff made us feel welcome and well cared for and genuinely interested in making our visit the best it could be. The rooms and common areas are exactly as pictured on the website...roomy and spacious with a nautical theme. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room with an ocean view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am glad that your stay was very enjoyable and that you made good use of our complimentary bikes. It is also nice to know that every member of our staff made you feel welcome that you found the rooms to be spacious. I would like to also thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends.

Monterey Bay, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

First off, I booked this hotel through Priceline. I've never used Priceline before as I prefer to deal directly with hotels rather than go through a non-refundable third party. It was a last minute trip to look at Universities for our son in the LA area, so the purpose was not a "vacation" and didn't want to spend a lot of money.

I usually prefer to stay in more modern, sleek and contemporary hotels, so when I saw I "won" the Portofino...I was nervous.

Check-in was great and they had placed us in connecting rooms as requested, but not guaranteed, so we were off to a good start. I usually prefer high floors, but assumed we'd get a trash can view on the first floor......Priceliners can't be picky! They gave us a Marina View on the highest floor which was #3. Rode the quirky little elevator and landed in a surprisingly wonderful room.

Although I'm not a fan of stuffed animals lying on my bed, the bed underneath was wonderful and they had the doubled sheeted duvet which I love in a hotel. The bathroom was spacious and newly refurbished. I've stayed in countless hotels with bathroom amenities in tons of little bottles, but this place had refillable jugs of a higher end brand. I'll give them bonus points for this novelty and being earth friendly!

Room was very quiet at night and a wonderful respite after long days in LA. The lobby area was nice and we enjoyed sitting and playing games for a few hours in the evening. The bar is closed Sunday-Tuesday, so we had to BYOB to the lobby.

We were tired one night and decided to eat at their restaurant, Baleen. Honestly, we went in with low expectations. We live in a coastal area and most restaurants with a nice view tend to rely on the view and serve up mediocre food. The Baleen blew that assumption right out of the water. They served the best clam chowder I have ever eaten on the CA coast and I'm a loooooong time native. The other salads and meals were fantastic as well. In fact, the next night we had reservations at The Ivy in Beverly Hills and we were kind of disappointed we couldn't dine at Baleen again.

Not my typical hotel type, but I'd stay here again with no doubt. Convenient to everything we wanted to do in the LA area and exceeded our expectations on every level.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank CocoMaKai
maxdrea77, General Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am glad that your stay was very enjoyable and that you found our bed linen to nice and comfortable. It is also a pleasure to know that we exceeded your food expectation in our restaurant Baleen and that you had fun playing games in our lobby.

Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

We got the deal from Travelzoo.com for a 2 night-stay at $279. Champaign & Chocolate Covered Strawberries upon arrival, free valet parking, free bike rental, AND free breakfast for 2 at Baleen restaurant were all included at that price. WOW!

Hubby & I rented bikes and spent couple of lovely hours around the pier, had fish & chips, and chocolate dipped Vanilla ice cream for lunch. Very relaxing. We came back to the beautiful hotel lounge and read books for an hour and just chilled out. For dinner, we went out to Joe’s Crab Shack located in short walking distance from the hotel. Food was just okay but the place was quite interesting. They had mostly young and bubbly waitresses working there and had several birthday party celebrations while we were there. Fun place for parties.

The next day (Sat) we were out discovering the 3 shopping areas around the beaches. The Tin Roof restaurant in Manhattan Village Shopping was really nice. We got the best table in the back – French courtyard setting, quaint little outdoor sitting. The grilled cheese sandwich was awesomely delicious.

All and all, it was a great weekend getaway. We might had been bored if it was longer than that since there weren’t too many things to do (unless you’re a true outdoor loving person and love the beach activities), but couple of days were perfect.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
maxdrea77, General Manager at The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am glad that you enjoyed the use of our complimentary bikes and you’re your overall weekend was fun and relaxing.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

My friend and I had a LA weekend getaway. We chose to stay at Portofino (I booked it via priceline at an amazing rate) and were very excited to have a relaxing weekend! When we checked in, we asked about an upgrade and all of a sudden the man at the front desk started making inappropriate comments to us that were sexual in nature. Now, we are young ladies and we were joking around but I felt his comments were completely uncalled for, it made both of us feel very uncomfortable. To the point where we avoided the front desk and exited out of the side of the hotel both nights. Awkward.

That aside, the hotel was fantastic. We upgraded to a ocean view room and watched the seals (note: super cute during the day, not so much at 3AM when you are trying to sleep...bring earplugs or use the ones they provide in the bathroom!).

The rooms are dated, but mostly in the decor - what a difference a few modifications could make! We went to Baleen and they recently renovated... super super nice! Get the tuna tacos - amazing!

We utilized the beach cruisers and biked from Redondo up to LAX and shopped/eat along the way. So wonderful.

All-in-all it was a great trip, just bummed that the front desk person was so inappropriate.

Room Tip: Ocean front - top floor (3rd).
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for taking for taking the time to share your comments with us. I am sorry to hear that our agent cross the line with some of his comments and will be sure to follow up with my front office manager as this is just not acceptable behavior in our hotel. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your ocean view room and were able to have fun with the sea lions. Also nice the hear that you enjoyed our complimentary bikes and had the pleasure of tasting the tuna tacos in Baleen.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Redondo Beach
3.0 km away
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel? Share your experiences!