“Really Different and Good”
Review of KoJa Kitchen

KoJa Kitchen
Ranked #36 of 163 Restaurants in Rocklin
Reviewed August 20, 2018

Our first time trying Koja Kitchen. We tried the "burger" and a bowl. Loved the krispy rice patty for the bun and the Korean short ribs were excellent. The bowl had rice, ribs and salad. The speciality lemonade was good on a very hot day.

Reviewed June 24, 2018

KK is fast food only in the sense that it was self service and fast. You order, pay at the counter and then when your buzzer goes off you collect your food, like the Habit. Staff was friendly (and patient!) since we were a little slow to order as it was our first visit.

Every dish we ordered was savory and delicious. Had the famous Umami fries, Koja beef burger and teriyaki bowl. The sauces tend to be on the sweet side.

At $9 to $10 before you order a drink it is a bit more than a typical fast good place however the quality of the beef is excellent. And you are definitely full as the meat is very rich.

Definitely recommend trying it when you are tired of burgers, burgers, burgers but want a quick and delicious meal.

Reviewed May 27, 2018

Instead of bugers they have "kojas" which use a garlic rice patty for a bun. short rib, beef, pork, chicken and vegetarian. also have asian tacos and fries with meat and a variety of asian sauces on them. They have food network segment running continusly on counter face where you order. Evidently this started as food truck.

Reviewed March 28, 2018

We really enjoyed finding something different that was tasty and reasonably priced. We ate the original Koja, a pork koja and the umami fries. All worth going back for.

Reviewed January 30, 2018

Koja Kitchen is a chain of fast casual restaurants with most of it's locations in NorCal in the Bay Area. But we have our own here in Rocklin located in what used to be some sort of chain restaurant building. Inside is very nice and clean, though the seating surfaces are bare and hard. The set up is more fast food like with counter ordering and napkins and utensils as well as soda all self serve. After placing your order you get one of those buzzer thingys that will let you know when you order is ready.

The food consists of these Koja burger type sandwiches. (Fusion of Korean and Japanese). Instead of bread buns, they use crisped rice cakes. Bowls are available if you don't want a sandwich, also served with rice. Then there's the fries and wings coming in various flavors. It's a small simple menu. I was a little taken aback by the pricing, being that this was a fast food type place and not a fancy sit down restaurant. The Koja sandwiches with no sides were priced from about $7 (chicken) to almost $9 (short rib beef) just for the sandwich. You can't just have a sandwich with no fries, and fries were $6.35 for the Umami fries. At least when you order fries and a Koja sandwich, they throw in a drink for free.

I ordered the "Original" Korean Short Rib Koja sandwich ($8.75) and the Umami Fries ($6.35), with tax it came out to over $16 for a fast lunch! That's an expensive fast type lunch, considering that for $16, I could get a big 1/2 pound Angus burger with fries at any brewpub and be served at a table. Heck, for $16, I could have an all you can eat Chinese seafood buffet! But, hey, I wanted to check this place out and we'll see if the food is worth the money.

My food came out in 6-7 minutes, served on a tray with each item loaded into a paper basket. The sandwich was wrapped in paper like a burger. The food sure looked delicious! The Umami Fries were waffle cut fries topped with pulled beef, sauce and masago, all piled high. There were pretty dang delicious! The Koja short rib sandwich didn't look all that big for the price, but it sure was tasty. The meat wasn't dry or stringy and had a nice flavor and I liked the added texture of the cabbage in the sandwich. The rice cakes, (I never had these before), held together well enough and didn't fall apart. They don't squish down as much though, like a bread bun, so you gotta really open wide to bite into this thing. The paper wrapping kept the dripping juices at bay. The Koja was more filling than it looked before hand. I was quite stuffed afterwards.

If just based on taste and quality alone, the food is 5 stars! But at this price point, I'd expect a little more in ambiance and service or bigger portions. If this was a nice sitdown restaurant and these dishes were all plated beautiful, then maybe it's priced properly. But for a fast casual self serve place, with food in paper baskets, I find it hard to justify these prices. I'd say if the Koja was say $6.75 instead of $8.75 and the fries were $4.50 instead of $6.35, the price for lunch would be a little over $11, which I think is reasonable. I know, this is a for profit business and if the customers will pay these prices and you still fill the seats, then make money while you can I say ... but I may not be one of those customers ... unless I get someone else to pay! So, if you have lots of money or don't care what you pay for food, then this is a great place, as the food is super tasty, despite it being a self serve fast food place.