“Grgich Hills Estate is a must visit”

Grgich Hills Estate
Napa Valley Wine Train with Gourmet Lunch, Wine Tasting and Vineyard Tours
Ranked #5 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Grgich Hills Estate is an iconic Napa Valley winery, consistently producing world-class wines. Vintner Hall of Fame inductee Miljenko "Mike" Grgich first earned world-wide recognition when the Chardonnay he crafted won the 1976 Paris Tasting, beating the best of France. Mike then partnered with Austin Hills to open their family-owned-and-operated winery in 1977. Committed to natural winegrowing and sustainability, we farm our five estate vineyards without artificial fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides, rely on wild yeast fermentation and use our passion and art to handcraft food-friendly, balanced and elegant wines.
Bremerton, Washington
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Grgich Hills Estate is a must visit”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

There are dozens of wineries and tasting rooms along the length of Napa and Sonoma Valleys, all wonderful in their own right; however, Grgich Hills is a cut above.

Croatian-born Mike Grgich's world-class Chardonnay was featured in the movie "Bottle Shock" about California wines beating out the best of France in 1976, and their quality today is top notch. World leaders have served Grgich wines at state dinners.

Besides the gardens and property being a beautiful spot to enjoy, the staff Of Grgich Hills Estate is pleasant and helpful, the tasting experience relaxed, and the rich history of Mike Grgich and his family's pride in their product is evident everywhere on the estate. Be sure to include this small winery in your plans.

Visited May 2011
2 Thank DannerDo

Springfield, Illinois
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Super Winery / Super wines”
Reviewed 24 August 2011

( Actually, grown family, but that wasn't one of the choices)
The San Francisco Chronicle had an article that touted Grgich - “The tasting room staff displays a winning mixture of professionalism, enthusiasm, and friendliness.” -- all true. We were escorted by Michelle Mitchell, and had a top notch experience. Grgich is a top line wine, with a top notch way of dealing with their guests. Their web site lists a bunch of different types of tastings - we didn't have enough time for one of the biggies, and I regret it.

Visited August 2011
2 Thank SpringfieldFresser
Monterey, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Mixed Feelings about the Tour, Great Wines, Slight Disappointment”
Reviewed 5 May 2011

I have long been a fan of Grgich Hills white wines and so when I organized my trip to Napa I put this tour on the must-do list. I was also interested to hear about 'biodynamic farming.' I have mixed feelings after the tour and tasting. I felt that the tour lacked in detail, and that you could only see limited aspects of the process. Perhaps I was spoiled after having attended the Mondavi tour earlier in the day. I would have like to walk through the vineyards more and gotten a more visual understanding of biodynamic farming. I would have liked to have seen more of the wine-making process as well. The tasting at the end was extremely generous ... we were able to try around 7 different red and white wines including a dessert wine Violetta, and we were encouraged to re-visit our favorite wines. All were delicious. However, I felt a bit rushed as our glasses were refilled as soon as they were empty, and I also felt a bit pressured to buy something. For those who are looking for value for money wine-tasting and tour, this may be of interest. But for me, the tour fell slightly below my high expectations

Visited April 2011
1 Thank samthefish06
NY
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Great biodynamic winery!”
Reviewed 24 March 2011

We had a really nice time at this biodynamic winery. It was one of the must-visit wineries on my list because of the biodynamic farming! Our wine tender was friendly, helpful, but at times we couldn't understand what he was saying. He finally gave us a pamphlet on biodynamic practices and it greatly helped explain what it was to my spouse! :) The red wine was fantastic, and the laid back atmosphere was inviting.

Visited March 2011
2 Thank CTSing
Olympia, Washington
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Stephanie makes this a 'Don't Miss Stop'”
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I'm a red wine lover and Grgich Hills makes better whites than reds. However, Stephanie's knowledge and charisma made this one of the better tasting room visits. I asked a lot of questions which she answered patiently and completely. After she listened to what types of wines I enjoy and why, she suggested I try one of their premium Chards. Low and behold, she made a believer out of me! The wine was soft on the finish, bold, yet not overpowered by oak.
Now the downside to this is that Stephanie doesn't typically work the tasting room, as she is one of the winery managers. But because we asked for her by name, she came out of her office and spent time to inform, enlighten, and delight us. What a pleasure!

Visited February 2011