“It is clean!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Cal Expo
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This hotel was very clean. We have stayed here before and also the Holiday Inn Express next door. This hotel was almost empty and they had rooms booked all together. The wall are very thin and you can hear everything that goes on in the next room. The next time we will be going back to the Holiday Inn Express I tried to save a few bucks this time and I won't be cheep again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Cal Expo

Reviewed 16 February 2012

This is a very old Hampton Inn located in a not so great neighborhood. I travel frequently and always use Hilton properties whenever possible so I have seen my fair share of Hamptons. It is in need of a complete refurbishment and I would recommend finding something else if you can.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Di4040
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The walls are thin so bring earplugs. It's also next to the 80 fwy, though I didn't hear it from where I was located (mid-way in the back). The room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was pretty good, they served a different egg and meat option everyday (e.g., scrambled eggs, omelet, sausage, biscuits n gravy) along with make-your-own waffle, cereal, etc. Midweek they even offer a free happy hour, that's a nice touch. However, I wish they had a workout room, but I guess that might be asking too much for the price...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 January 2012

I'm a Hilton Diamond member. I've seen a LOT of Hamptons; this one is subpar.

I'm writing this review from my phone, because the in-room WiFi is so clogged before 11pm that I can't get a wireless signal. My colleague advises she contacted the front desk and was told connectivity is only guaranteed in the Lobby. Wireless access needs upgrading. This is a business-class hotel and in room WiFi is more the norm than not.

Room amenities are basic. Standard bed, desk, and armchair. TV has very limited channels - all in Standard Def - and HBO's audio has been jacked up so all the characters on whatever I'm watching sound like they're underwater.

In room microwave's turntable wobbles and clunks around while in use.

Bathmat is gray (not white) and a bit tattered.

Overall, the experience is just subpar. It's clear this property just does the minimum to get by. Don't expect anything above the franchise basics at this Hampton.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 13 December 2011

I just (30 minutes ago) received this note from the Hampton Inn Front Desk Manager. I thought that to be fair, I would start off with this.

“We do apologize for the bed spread being lumpy, we are in the process of getting better Duvet 'micro fiber' ones that Hilton just approved; a lot of Hilton Properties have got the same complaints on them, and for the TV selections the owner is looking into some better options. We are looking into housekeeping for the reason why they placed a torn curtain and not notifying maintenance about the sink. Once again we are sorry for the inconvenience of your stay.”

The Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Cal Expo is just a short hop off of the I80 freeway (heading north). Just take the Auburn Boulevard exit and you are almost there. Be careful thou, at the first intersection (just a few feet off of I80) you must keep to the left. Then proceed through the intersection that basically has two and three quarter stop signs (you don’t have one but there’s one just around the corner). There is a funny jog to your right where Auburn Blvd continues. Beware of any traffic (which you can’t see) coming towards you and in the same direction, from a parallel road (Auburn Blvd).

Did that make sense? It doesn’t. I walked down to these corners and watched traffic. It is one of the most confusing intersections that I have ever seen. A roundabout would be a great option here.

If you safely make it through this maize then the Hampton Inn is just a hundred or so yards down the road. You might not see the signs for it. So, look for the Holiday Inn Express and it is the next right (trust me, it is really there).

We found the check in friendly and efficient. The elevator (our room was number 219) was just past the desk. So, it was easy to get our cases transported to our room.

The room was spacious in size. It had a king size bed which at first, seemed to have a very lumpy mattress (please see photo). It turned out, only the bedspread was so clumpy. I mentioned this to the front desk person and was told that they knew about it. There apparently, was a (major) problem with the laundry servicing. I suggested that it should be replaced (bed cover and the laundry service).

There was a nice TV, in the room that gets only the very basic, unwatched channels (common complaint with many chains). In the corner was a reclining (whether you wanted it to or not) chair. Even when you knew its tendencies, when you sat down in it, it rocked back and smashed into the light behind it and which in turn, hit the wall. The person on the other side of the wall didn’t like this and turned their TV on (not sure what they would’ve watch, though). On this point the walls were ultra thin and noise did travel through from the adjoining rooms.

There was a small bar fridge that worked well. Also, an RJ45 (computer) internet connection that didn’t work well.

The room had a nice view of the Holiday Inn Express and parking lot. Just below this view was a wall mounted air conditioner/heater.

Inside the (external) hall entrance door is the door to the bathroom which opens up to block the inside hallway and similarly, a small closet.

It’s complicated but let's get back to the bathroom. The shower was the very best that I have ever used at the Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Cal Expo. It was six foot high and had an adjustable shower head (which both showed promise). The shower adjusted from a fine pinpoint spray of water to a cone spray which flowed from the ceiling to the floor (outside the torn curtain, as well as inside). The other adjusted positions offered no usable value at all (i.e. two single streams of water and a third which shot over the torn shower curtain and into the sink). I also mentioned this to our friend at the front desk. She told us that this was due to their hard water (have they ever heard of CLR?). Hard to believe.

I think that I previously mentioned the shower curtain was torn. As well, the sink couldn’t hold water. They did have nice shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Also on the bathroom counter was a coffee maker. Okay, so all did not go down the drain.

All in all, at a discounted price of just over $111 (including taxes); I cannot give the Hampton Inn & Suites Sacramento-Cal Expo my seal of approval, which is too bad because I generally like Hampton Inns.

As stress-free as it was to get to, after an uninspiring breakfast, it wasn’t so easy getting back to the I5.

The next day we stayed at the La Quinta in Vancouver, Washington.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RadTel
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Some Hampton Inns are tiny rooms. This room was gigantic with a nice sitting area and ample bathroom. The happy hour wines and snacks hit the spot. Good service arranging a cab for us to pick up at oh-dark-thirty.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Auburn and I-5 traffic noises.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2011

We stayed one night on a recent visit to Sacramento. The room was clean and spacious with a comfortable bed and modern bath and shower facilities. They had a fitness room that was very small but with pretty modern equipment. A pleasant surprise to us was the happy hour that featured decent California wines and tasty chicken wings along with some raw veggies and mini pizzas. Add in the included free wi fi and hot and cold breakfast and the place registers on my screen as a solid value for the price. I usually check out Hampton Inns when we travel as they are pretty consistent in quality. In this particular location, that quality was accompanied by a very attractive room rate as well.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple