“Great, Classic Ice Cream Place”

Gunther's Quality Ice Cream
Ranked #2 of 64 Dessert in Sacramento
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch
Reviewed July 2, 2018

This is one of Sacramento's wonderful, traditional old ice cream parlours from the 1940s. It has generally excellent ice cream with many flavours, including traditional standards plus others. They do great traditional sundaes and the like, plus 50-50s, fruit ice and ice cream mixed together, which are very popular on hot days. Some flavours of ice cream do not impress us, though, such as the chocolate chip cookie dough and mint chip, both kind of mediocre. However, generally their ice cream is outstanding and this is certainly true of their chocolate (with great chocolate flavour with a nicely bitter edge that is great for things like sundaes) or taro. The place still has its classic 1940 decor and architecture plus lots of mostly shady seating outside, in addition to the limited seating inside. It serves food, as well, such as sandwiches. Lines can get long in the middle of the day but they usually move pretty fast.

1  Thank jenedc2016

Reviewed June 24, 2018 via mobile

Our weather hit triple digits so I took my 21 month old grandson to Gunther’s for a strawberry cone. It was his first taste of this local institution. On Friday at 2 there was a crowd but no line. The local news station came to get film of families enjoying icey treats. My grandson and I bonded over our shared cone. Franklin is a busy road, which is super if you are a boy who loves trucks. I appreciate that Gunther’s doesn’t use soy in their recipe.

1  Thank Julie S
Reviewed June 19, 2018 via mobile

I can't believe I have never been here before. I had heard good things, and I was happy to check it out this past Saturday. Even though it was pretty chilly around 7pmish,the crowds of people were screaming for their ice cream. I had to park about 2 blocks away to meet up with a friend. So,I had to subtract a star for parking and the overall area. Not my favorite location in Sac. But,I am patient, so I wasn't deterred by the line of people out the door. And,there were seats outside. I am glad I waited and finally got to try this spot. I had the small strawberry sundae with hot fudge, whip cream, nuts and of course, the cherry on top. And, it was so good! The ice cream was so....um, creamy. Lol
It was really good strawberry ice cream. Better than Leatherbys for sure. So, if you can handle crowds as the summer heats up and know how to parallel park, give this place a go!!!

1  Thank lusa8
Reviewed June 19, 2018 via mobile

Gunther’s ice cream has been around as long as I’ve been alive. My parents used to take me there when I was small and my kids now go there. It’s an old time ice cream shop with tons of history. The ice cream is really good and the service is great too. It’s not located in the best part of town but its famous in the Sacramento community. It will take you back in time.

1  Thank Jafo1998
Reviewed June 18, 2018 via mobile

My family has been going here for long time. We enjoy the ice cream and the people are very nice They have a variety of flavors and so far we have enjoyed all that we’ve tried. It’s a great place to take your family

Date of visit: September 2017