“Better than expected” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Crescent City, California
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I was a little hesitant to stay here but since some one else was paying and a lot of hotels were booked, I gave in and did not regret my decision. Great location and the room was very nice and clean. I got a coupon for a free drink at the bar and it was no problem using it. Parking is right next door and for $14 is was a great deal. Plenty of places to eat nearby and the entire staff was very friendly. The mall and Old Town were right outside the hotel but still a little scaring walking under the tunnel to Old Town, just be on alert and you should have no problems. I would stay here again without hesitation. Being from a small town I had a problem with traffic noise and not sure if there are rooms on a quieter side. Elevators were very fast and if you are on a higher floor you can forget about using the stairs.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank jkw95

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Northern CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

It was a nice stay all around. It is alittle dated but clean and near buses and shopping like Old Town and Mall . A short walk to convention center. We liked it for a short stay....Thanks

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank HappynClass
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

This is a better than average Holiday Inn. It is located very near the Old Town part of Sacramento and is adjacent to a shopping center that can prove useful if you want to shop or need a last minute gift. There is a Starbucks in the shopping center directly behind the hotel and several restaurants within walking distance. You can walk across the river or take a VERY short drive to get there. We stay at least once a year and have had no problems with cleanliness or the efficiency of the staff. The rooms are in good shape and the beds are soft. You can also choose different pillows at various levels of softness. The airport is about 15 minutes away and a taxi costs around $25-$30. One side of the hotel does face the freeway but the noise is minimal. The breakfast is good, not fantastic, but good and we had no complaints. The dining in the bar is also good, once again, not great, but good. The only downside to this hotel is that the price can be a surprisingly high during the week as this is a business hotel. Book ahead to get better rates.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank losharoth
Binfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2011

Holiday Inn Capitol, Sacramento.

On arrival I was allowed to change a non changeable package which was a good start. I then found myself on 15th floor which seemed ideal for our 3 night family stay.

The lobby is attractive and some effort had gone into the Christmas Tree and decorations. The room was comfortable with a good sized bathroom and two comfortable beds. It was not the most modern of decor but fair and tidy. There is free WiFi but as I later discovered it was ok for the odd email but surfing was slow and watching video or doing face time was impossible

There was recognition of status and breakfast was included in the rate.

The promising start however was shattered when we returned from an evening out to find that we were one floor  below a disco and 2 separate events on the 16th floor. The noise was intolerable. When we complained it simply got louder and so I called again. There was an offer to move us however as family of 4 with 3 nights planned in the hotel  we had unpacked and were settled and very jet lagged. So a move was not a real option.

Infuriatingly this was also going to happen again the following night.

My issue with the hotel was not that there was a party or indeed noise. It was just a week before Christmas and hotel events must be expected and these will create noise. These events are also the bread and butter for the hotel business and so are essential and so I did not complain about the party or about the noise but about the allocation of our room.

Given the disturbance we experienced it is inconceivable that no one has complained before or that the hotel is not aware of the impact of such events on other guests.

As a result why were we, a family of 4 allocated such a room. Why is the 15th floor not allocated to party guests or closed altogether. As such allocating a family to the 14 or 15 floors is simply incompetence at best.

The hotels asked me what would I like them to do after they had made the offer to move me. This was nothing more than an empty gesture. I wanted to sleep and have some piece and quiet. If I had wanted to stay in a disco I would have booked one.  I wanted to sleep and that was the one thing this hotel could not offer me without huge inconvenience and wasting of precious holiday time.

They did not follow up my complaint nor offer any form of compensation.

Had this issue not arisen then this would have been a perfectly acceptable stay. The location is good and the breakfast was good if limited. There is a free guest laundry which was a god send for a family. There was also a small outdoor heated pool

Staff were generally friendly and helpful and the valet parking excellent. The noise was  a pity and the handling of that woeful

Room Tip: Do not allow yourself to be allocated upper floor without checking on the events that are planned.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Binman62
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2011

My wife and I are fond of the Calif. Int'l Marathon in Sactramento. The past 3 years we have stayed here. The hotel is a bit dated, but offers a good value and is clean and well serviced. It borders the modern Westfield Mall, which has plenty of shopping and dining options.

For the marathon, the bus picks you up directly from the hotel, which is great! The hotel is about 1/2 mile from the finish line, which is very convenient.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Rockledge, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

For more than five years we have been taking our grand kids to Sacramento for a Christmas Holiday fun trip. We have always stayed at the Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza. To make this year's reservation, I called the Holiday Inn 800 number to get the local hotel's direct phone number as I like to make the reservation directly with the facility. This was done in October of 2011. We arrived at the hotel, from Truckee, Ca, via Amtrak, on December 2, 2011. As I attempted to check in, I was told that our reservation was at the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza and not at the Holiday Inn Capitol Plaza. I was also told that the Capitol Plaza was full...no rooms!! As we had no automobile, this was a real problem. The first desk agent was nice and apologetic and then I encountered Mary Gilbert! I think she was the Manager on Duty but she did not wear a name tag. Needless to say, I was upset about the incorrect reservation and this woman made it worse! She eventually informed me that if I was not "sweet" to her, that she would call a taxi and send us somewhere else. She also then informed me that again, if I treated her "sweetly" she would give us a room for one night. She said and did this in a very rude manner!! Having no choice, I attempted to treat her as she wished. She gave us a room with two full, i.e. basically single beds. There were four of us...myself, my husband and our two grand kids, aged 8 and 11 years. The room was okay, the beds terrible, and we were only given three bath towels for the four of us. The next morning, my husband talked to her and we were allowed to stay the additional needed night. However, we still got only three towels and our nights sleep was certainly not good. Previously, we really enjoyed this hotel because of its proximity to Sacramento's Old Towne and the courteous staff which included a lovely agent named Georgia. However, we will not be staying at this facility ever again.

Room Tip: Just don't use this facility!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank tahotart
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

I needed to stay in Sacramento for business and ended up here due to the Embassy suites being too expensive (and not within walking distance) and the Sheraton being fully booked. My wife was also with me so we needed something nearby to pass the time.

The front desk staff weren’t exactly welcoming – curt but efficient would be a good description
Liz (the General Manager) was the exception and upgraded us to an executive room.

The good
Value for money for a full service hotel
Self parking or valet rates are reasonable
Free WiFi
Starbucks & the Westfield mall / Macys is 1 min walk away as well as old Sacramento

The average
Some of the rooms are getting a bit tired – although it looks like certain floors were being updated
The location right next to the freeway is handy, but VERY noisy.
Our window wasn’t sealing properly so the traffic noise is noticeable
The business center – the printers weren’t working and frankly with the prices for printing you’re better off walking a few blocks to FedEx Kinkos.

If you are in town for one or two nights it’s a decent option.

Room Tip: Away from the elevators and perhaps a lower floor might help with the noise. The concierge level is...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business