“Great Food with Outstanding Ribs”
Review of Market

Market
Reserve with OpenTable
Market is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 53 Restaurants in St. Helena
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Spring and Adams
Description: Market Restaurant offers an elegant yet comfortable dining experience. Located on Main Street in St. Helena, the historical building features exposed stone walls and an antique bar dating back to the turn of the century. The menu features American classics with a fresh seasonal approach and the wine list offers a diverse selection of wines to complement Chef's creations, with an emphasis on wines from local Napa Valley vintners. In addition to a locally inspired and reasonably priced wine list, Market never charges corkage.
Reviewed July 24, 2016

My wife and I were staying in St. Helena trying to decide on where we wanted to eat. I had a craving for fried chicken, so she did a search and came up with the Market in the downtown area. We made reservations, and arrived. She was thinking she wanted the baby back ribs but was tempted by the fried chicken as well. As it turned out, the fried chicken was dark meat only and I prefer white meat. She need up ordering that and I went with the ribs, so we could try both. She enjoyed the chicken, but the ribs were some of the best I have ever eaten. They easily fell off the bone and each bite was a scrumptious, gooey delight! The service was great and the decor was inviting. They also made a very good Bloody Mary. Make a point to try it out, particularly if you like ribs.

Market_StHelena, Owner at Market, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2016

While I'm sorry that we weren't able to help you fix that fried-chicken craving, I'm glad our ribs were some of the best you've ever had! What's more, it's great to know you were a fan of our service, decor, and Bloody Mary's -- cheers!

I hope we'll see you both again soon,
Ernesto, Owner

Write a ReviewReviews (1,143)

Reviewed July 20, 2016 via mobile

We sought out Market for lunch based on our past experience. The food was wonderful as has been the case in the past. One sour point was our inattentive waiter. When we were greeted and given menus we asked for some water as we made our lunch decisions. He forgot. Overhearing another waiter we found there some daily specials. We were never told what those were. Another couple was seated near our table and we observed that our waiter never told them of the specials as well. Maybe a little training is in order.

Market_StHelena, Owner at Market, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2016

I'm so glad that you decided to come back for another meal, Norbert, and that you enjoyed our food again. That said, I'm sorry that our service was less than attentive. As you know, that's not the norm here, so I appreciate the feedback. I'm sure it won't happen during your next visit, though, so I can't wait for you both to return.

Reviewed July 20, 2016

Day trip to St. Helena, CA to pick-up some wine and decided to try a new restaurant for lunch. After reading reviews on Trip Adviser we chose to eat at Market. Started our meal with the Fried Green Tomatoes. Excellent and kicked up a notch from with a great sauce. The bread served with olive oil prior to our meal was fresh, seasoned with Italian herbs. I had the burger and it was large enough to take half of the burger and fries home for the next day. My husband had the steak sandwich and it was also large enough for two meals. Quality of food was very good. The four star rating is because we felt the menu was somewhat limited on choices. Overall a good eating experience.

I'm so glad that you and your husband decided to stop in for a meal, Patricia, and that you both enjoyed the fried green tomatoes and our fresh bread. I hope that the next time you're in town to pick up wine you'll stop by again. Oh, and feel free to bring a bottle with you -- no corkage fee!

Reviewed July 18, 2016

We stopped in to this restaurant randomly and it was an excellent pick. If you can snag the front table for two in the window - do so! I felt like we were the only ones there. =) Great wine, and service. We ordered the crab cakes which I loved. My BF got the sesame-soy chicken salad and enjoyed it, though I think he wanted more food (he's an Ironman and we had just run). I got the burger and fries and it was delicious. I eat it without the bun, and it was more than filling plus I shared with my BF. And because we decided to get a 3rd glass of wine, we opted for dessert. The S'mores and some ice cream on the side. I would call it heaven honestly. If you like chocolate and marshmallows...you can't go wrong!

Market_StHelena, Owner at Market, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2016

I'm so glad that you both decided to drop in after your run and that your meals hit the spot! It sounds like the s'mores dessert was a highlight for you both, and that's great. I hope you'll both be by again soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2016 via mobile

Alfie our waiter was enthusiastic and knowledgable, he gave a great tour of the menu.

We had ribs, shrimp/pasta, crab Louis salad, and more but the clincher was butterscotch pudding, OMG!!

You need to book ahead it got busy on a Friday night

Market_StHelena, Owner at Market, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2016

Marty, I'm so happy that Alfie did such a great job and that his recommendations were well received. The butterscotch pudding is a personal favorite, too, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Come see us again,