“ITALIAN done right!!!!”
Review of Cook

Cook
Reserve with OpenTable
Cook is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 53 Restaurants in St. Helena
Price range: US$16 - US$25
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2018

We loved our meals! My husband never raves about any cooking from restaurants..... but loved his Gnocci so much that he had to meet the chef to commend him for such an excellent job,2 days later still raving about it! I had dietary restrictions and they put a custom dish together for me that was absolutely incredible! We are ready to go back again!!! LOVED IT & HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Reviewed May 25, 2018

Second time we have been here both times for lunch. Next time will be for dinner. The quality of the food, preparation and service really is terrific! My wife and I ordered a risotto with ling cod while the other dish was short ribs with pappardelle. The short ribs are up there with the best I have ever had! Absolutely so tender and moist. The risotto was perfectly done with peas as a bed for the ling cod which was perfectly prepared. We will absolutely be back to enjoy dinner next time! Service is very professsional. Really a relaxed environment. Restaurant is small and cozy. Highly recommend!

1  Thank n2r49rs
Reviewed May 25, 2018

Good, solid choices in ingredients & technique. If you crave consistency without any "experimenting"...this could be your spot. (& why it seems is the most St Helena Local patronized restaurant)

Reviewed May 15, 2018

We have been here before and love the food and the staff so I took my wife here for Mother's Day at her request. They had "Maryland soft shell crab" on the menu. People from Maryland, Delaware and Northern Virginia will understand the rest of this story.

I confirmed they were REAL live Maryland soft-shell crabs. So I sent a challenge to the sous chef telling him I have been catching and eating Blue Crabs since I was a kid [many decades ago] and if he would dare to cook one for me I would tell him what a true Marylander thought - good or bad.

He NAILED it. It was freshly butchered [you know what I mean] 'lightly' dredged, little salt and pepper, cooked in sauce pan, turned and served over greens and butter. First bite I thought I was back on Chesapeake Bay at one of my favorite haunts. I told the sous chef as much, then ordered another one! NAILED it again. The sous chef [with a little help from the Executive Chef who grew up in Richmond VA] made a Marylander homesick for good Maryland Blue crab one very happy guy!

If they start serving steamed crabs I am moving to St. Helena.

Too many times people serve "Maryland style crab/softshell/crabcakes", which they endow with extra spices, chilis, et al. For me the ONLY spice worthy of Maryland Blue crab is Bay Seasoning and of course butter.

This soft shell crab was all about the crab, the sous chef nailed it! I will order them anytime I see them on the menu. You should too if you want the experience of Chesapeake Blue Crab served like they do in Maryland, Delaware and Northern VA [in my opinion]

For entree I had the fazzoletti bolognese. house made ricotta, cooked to order. My wife had the salmon cooked perfectly.

I am too old to go to culinary school so it is exciting for me to see a chef exercise their skills to prepare a meal for someone they never met and nail it.

If you do not care for Maryland Blue crab, every other dish on the menu is tasteful, beautifully prepared to order and presented by terrific and delightful staff. We enjoy the limited menu and the exquisite foods.

Bring your own wine or they have a reasonable wine selection.

THANK YOU to the Executive Chef and Sous Chef for giving me an excellent Maryland Soft Shell crab. We will return!

Reviewed May 14, 2018

First time at Cook. The food and service was great. Cozy dining room with bar and kitchen view. The eggplant was fantastic. My wife had the parppardelle with short rib in a sage beurre blanc and natural juices. Nice wine list.