If you ever find yourself in need of a time travel experience or High Kitsch Route 66 adventure, there is perhaps nothing as ultimate as sleeping in a cement teepee.... this is IT!
You'll feel the very least as if you have stepped onto a Tim Burton film set! This is pure hilarious Americana from the great age of road travel.
Aside from the amazingly preserved buildings and well kept grounds, we found the owner, Kumar to be extremely welcoming and helpful navigating local kitsch and good restaurants. He gave us good suggestions for local attractions (Tiki Drive-In) and was so much fun to talk to.
The Wigwam Motel has bravely not bowed to "remodeling" or "updating" their rooms, thus ruining the original charm of motor-touring motels. They have kept the original tile in the bathroom and head boards, and what updating we saw was done in the spirit of the period.
True, the rooms are smaller than what is common today. The wigwams were built in the late 40's and were designed to sleep in, not spend the day in. If you want a super-sized hotel with no personality, go some where else, because the Wigwam is the real deal- a motor hotel.
Our room was very clean- And there was little noise. The lawns and pool are well cared for and are great for kids to run off extra energy acquired on the road. There is also a very cute fire pit for roasting smores or roasting hot dogs. Ask for the tepee nearest it, if your heart so desires.
The Wigwam books up quickly on weekends, so book a week or more in advance.
All in all a great stop along Route 66- the surrounding town is sadly not as cool.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quirky 1949 property featuring simple, concrete tepees with free Wi-Fi, plus an outdoor pool. Remember the good-ole-days, before air travel was easily affordable and the Road-Trip was king? Those days are still here-at the Wigwam Motel! Originally constructed in 1949, this is the 7th and final Wigwam location in the series of similar properties first launched in by developer Frank Redford in his home state of Kentucky. Situated on famed Route 66, the most famous highway of all, the Wigwam Motel is in the true American tradition of the "Roadside Attraction," just like the giant dinosaurs, villages of mystery and other classic roadside attractions that lined America's highways of the past. The Wigwam Motel is a real slice of Americana, bringing back the heyday of our glorious American past. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA, Agoda and Booking.com so you can book your Wigwam Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wigwam Hotel San Bernardino
- Wigwam Motel San Bernardino