All reviews free glass of wine free parking complimentary taxi san francisco close to the airport choice hotels beautiful decor busy street sfo airport free breakfast el camino room facing bagels next morning comfortable bed rental car would stay here again
Reviewed March 19, 2016 via mobile

The hotel has an excellent location, excellent service! The rooms are spacious and clean; breakfast is good and the ambient is very nice! I read about some people complaining about noise, we did not have any issues at all. I would stay here again gladly and fully recommend!

Date of stay: March 2016
1  Thank WDutra
Reviewed March 14, 2016

BEWARE! The Villa Montes Hotel and Choice Hotels (the parent company of Villa Montes) are untrustworthy crooks. On November 14, 2015, I made a reservation intended for that same evening at the Villa Montes Hotel through Hotels.com. When I arrived at the hotel shortly thereafter, the front desk manager (User ID: frodri) indicated that my reservation was somehow for a later date, November 29; however, seeing this was clearly a mistake given I was presently there and had just booked approximately an hour earlier, she politely offered to switch the reservation upon approval from Hotels.com. I called Hotels.com immediately while at the front desk, and all parties agreed on the change in the reservation with the stipulation that the rate would be slightly higher for the current night.

Unquestionably, I would not have intentionally made a reservation for a random day and date in the future, in which I would be at home approximately 2,000 mile away. I truly suspect a bait and switch tactic was used to show a cheaper rate. In addition, I, or any economically practical person, would not have stayed at Villa Montes on November 14 if the reservation was not switched without a double charge.

Upon receiving my credit card statements a few weeks later, two separate charges from Clarion Villa Montes were listed to my surprise. I called the hotel immediately on November 30, 2015, to inquire about the double charge and request a refund as the hotel promised. Villa Montes instructed me to contact Hotels.com for assistance, which I did that same day. Hotels.com offered to help provide a resolution to my billing issue and asked me to allow a few days for the hotel to respond. After waiting patiently for almost a week, Hotels.com informed me that they were unable to reach an approver at the hotel to verify a refund request.

Obviously, I was unsatisfied with this response, so I wrote a letter to Choice Hotels on December 11, 2015, to formally appeal the unauthorized charge. Although I provided ironclad documentation to support my narrative and timeline, the company never responded to my plea. I am beyond perturbed and bewildered that a multi million-dollar hotel chain would shamelessly ignore a paying customer and break their word for a sensible and fair solution, given the clear facts. I gladly paid for the night I stayed, and a cancellation was made immediately for the mistaken future date. The hotel lost nothing.

Take heed...do not stay here! This place and chain is a joke!

Date of stay: November 2015
4  Thank Jeff H
Reviewed March 9, 2016

My regular stay was fine. It's a convenient location for SFO, and I had a large suite at a good price.

The real highlight, though, was the service I received when I forgot my cell-phone in the room on my way out. They don't have an email address listed, but I had my wife call while I was on the plane. They overnighted my phone home, and it arrived extremely well packed; it reminded me of the way Japanese shippers will pack collectible items, which is about the best I've seen.

Room tip: The front faces El Camino, and the back faces SFO, but isn't too noisy.
Date of stay: February 2016
Reviewed February 19, 2016

I've stayed here twice -- once was a five star experience, and once was a three star experience. The difference was the location of the room. The first time my room was away from the street -- the second time my room was on the second floor facing the street. Even in the middle of the night, there is enough traffic to make noise and affect sleep -- the only solution is to run the fan all night to drown it out. Outside of that aspect, this is an amazing value. The decor is a bit odd -- a cross between american classic (with dark woods) and some one's idea of what Augustus Caesar's interior decorator would have created if he lived in the 21st century. My checklist is:

Clean? -- Spotless
Prompt and Courteous Service? -- Yes
Quiet? -- Lot's of traffic noise if facing the street
Bed Comfort? -- Perfect
TV? -- Good quality, and all the basic channels
Room size? -- depends on the room, some are large, and some are small.
Room Service? No
Free Wifi? Yes
Miscellaneous: Beautiful lobby and common areas

Room tip: Ask for a room not facing the street
Date of stay: February 2016
Reviewed February 4, 2016

Very clean, well appointed rooms, great bathrooms. Perfect for a short business trip and very well priced. Would definitely stay here again if travelling to the area on business.
Free parking under the hotel also.

Date of stay: January 2016