“Great food and service”
Review of Cafe San Jose

Cafe San Jose
Reserve with OpenTable
Cafe San Jose is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #133 of 2,490 Restaurants in San Jose
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed July 9, 2018

A smallish breakfast/lunch cafe tucked into the back of a shopping center at the corner of Meridian and Hamilton Ave in the Willow Glen area of San Jose. Walk in and you will be greeted warmly and shown to a table. The menu is extensive and every effort is made to make sure everything is to your liking. I go once or even twice every week and there are plenty of "regulars" who do the same. People wouldn't go back again and again unless they like it. Super friendly but not pushy wait staff who really want to please. It can get very busy on weekends but not too bad if you go early.
My only complaint - not their fault - is the parking lot sometimes is very congested. (Not unusual in Willow Glen.)

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed April 17, 2018

I have eaten here twice in as many months. After this second time, I don’t think I will return. Although he food is fine, the prices for breakfast are quite steep. And every little thing is an up-charge, so the bill is even higher than the menu predicts.

My friend and I each ordered Swedish pancakes, eggs, and sausage. When they arrived, the pancakes were made from regular pancake batter (with yeast) and rolled to attempt to look like Swedish pancakes. I have eaten Swedish pancakes before, but not at this restaurant. My friend comes here often, orders these consistently, and knew that they were not made correctly. He spoke to the waitress about the inconsistency, and she swore that these were Swedish pancakes. He told her that San Jose Cafe’s normal Swedish pancakes were thin, not risen, and she reluctantly agreed to take them back. When she returned close to 15 minutes later with the correct order, she said that the cook had made new batter. And indeed, these were typical thin, non-risen Swedish pancakes. Now there was a $2 up-charge for the Swedish pancakes over regular pancakes, so apparently the restaurant had run out of the Swedish pancake batter and attempted to pass off regular batter as Swedish pancake batter.

So we did not receive our full order at the same time, but had the eggs and sausage first, and the pancakes after we were done eating our “first breakfast.” This was not what we had envisioned, as we would have preferred to have eaten all of our food together.

When the bill for $37 came, it was all scratched out and written over, and was unreadable. But the total seemed about $2 too high. But when questioned, the waitress said she had tacked on an up-charge for several teaspoons of salsa that had been put on my eggs. She offered no “discount” for the incorrectly made food, our inconvenience, the additional wait, or the food not being delivered at the same time — as would have been done with most respectable restaurants. We were treated curtly, as if the situation had been our fault, rather than the restaurant’s problem.

I am not inclined to return here.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed March 5, 2018

My spouse and I had decided to try someplace new for brunch and found this place off of Meridian. We ordered the waffle/egg/sausage and Denver omelette plate which were really good. The portions are huge and I ended up eating only half because my omelette came with a pancake.

We ordered mimosas and a bloody mary and they were good! Breakfast and drinks for two was $49 without tip.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed January 2, 2018

I've tried so many things on their menu. Everything from one of their amazing Benedicts, to their breakfast burrito, to their scrambles, their omelets, and their huevos rancheros. Every single thing I've ever had is amazing. Big portions, tons of sauces to put on, and friendly, fast service every time. This is my go to breakfast spot.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed October 15, 2017 via mobile

Great food and friendly staff
I like the variety of choices
More seating than you realize as well and awesome fries

Date of visit: October 2017