“Extremely Expensive Tickets to See Two Rooms”

San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles
Ranked #33 of 116 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum traces the history of quilt making and contains beautiful examples of different quilting styles.
Reviewed February 25, 2016

Since my wife loves quilts we carved out part of an afternoon to see this museum. Since we were only in San Jose for 3 days we thought it would be a good use of our time. It wasn't.

It cost us $32 to visit this "museum" that was literally two rooms. On the day we visited the exhibit was quilts made by women in prison. Some of the quilts were actually made with strips of torn bed sheets. Dyed red, the sheet strips had grown slack and were hanging like cheap curtains in a bad motel. I realize that prisoners are to be commended for starting and completing their own textiles but they weren't museum quality and they didn't command a $32 admission price.

All of us felt very disappointed and cheated. I wish we could get back the hour we wasted there.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"hallway"
"guns"

Reviewed February 10, 2016

I've lived in San Jose for 20 years and never visited this museum until a friend from out of town suggested it. What a treat!! I don't quilt but I sew and do a number of other textile handcrafts. I was blown away by the exhibit we experienced because I can fully appreciate the kind of work that went into the pieces. Don't think it's all the "old time" quilts, they displayed very modern, cutting edge pieces that were just awesome. The gift was small and had a nice collection of things in a good price range. Loved it!

Reviewed December 15, 2015

A showcase for beautiful quilts and fabrics - if you love anything to do with fabric or sewing, you'll love this gem!

Reviewed December 15, 2015

enjoy walking the quilts and textile art displayed on the walls. with new exhibits every few months. A must to see

See more reviews
Reviewed November 6, 2015 via mobile

Not for children! Also, I saw a few guys who were on the verge of a meltdown. This is a small, quaint museum truly for the artsy folk. The quilts are magnificent and I applaud this museum for celebrating the craft. The first Friday is pay what you'd like. You can go for a nominal amount, and if you enjoy the experience, you can pay more on your way out.

Been to San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles? Share your experiences!