“Disappointing”

San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles
Ranked #33 of 150 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: This museum traces the history of quilt making and contains beautiful examples of different quilting styles.
Reviewed May 11, 2016

I love quilts and enjoy seeing well-made ones. This is not the place. These are 'art' rather than well-constructed quilts, and frankly, the 'art' did nothing for me. If you enjoy interpreting art, you might like this, but if you want to see something pretty, don't waste your money.

All reviews
"california"
in 4 reviews
"guns"

Reviewed March 23, 2016

Ever two months or so the exhibit changes, they also participate in First Fridays where galleries are open late. On most First Fridays there is a small live group performing either music or spoken word.

There is also a small room that sometimes has a little craft area for kids.

Reviewed March 16, 2016

This ia a small museum with variable quilt shows from antique quilts, to modern fabric ceations. Because it is small, they highlight different colections at different times. You might want to phone ahead to see what their show is when you want to go.

Reviewed February 25, 2016

Since my wife loves quilts we carved out part of an afternoon to see this museum. Since we were only in San Jose for 3 days we thought it would be a good use of our time. It wasn't.

It cost us $32 to visit this "museum" that was literally two rooms. On the day we visited the exhibit was quilts made by women in prison. Some of the quilts were actually made with strips of torn bed sheets. Dyed red, the sheet strips had grown slack and were hanging like cheap curtains in a bad motel. I realize that prisoners are to be commended for starting and completing their own textiles but they weren't museum quality and they didn't command a $32 admission price.

All of us felt very disappointed and cheated. I wish we could get back the hour we wasted there.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 10, 2016

I've lived in San Jose for 20 years and never visited this museum until a friend from out of town suggested it. What a treat!! I don't quilt but I sew and do a number of other textile handcrafts. I was blown away by the exhibit we experienced because I can fully appreciate the kind of work that went into the pieces. Don't think it's all the "old time" quilts, they displayed very modern, cutting edge pieces that were just awesome. The gift was small and had a nice collection of things in a good price range. Loved it!