“Broader Horizons”

Ranked #348 of 2,485 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Child-friendly
Description: The first restaurant was opened in 1983 in San Diego by Ralph Rubio and his father, Ray, who started the fish taco phenomenon that spread across the nation. Today, Rubio’s menu has grown from The Original Fish Taco® to include additional chef-crafted seafood recipes that feature shrimp, wild salmon and ono. In addition to sustainable seafood, Rubio’s offers chargrilled chicken and steak, fresh made guacamole and salsas and sauces that are prepared daily.
Reviewed May 21, 2017 via mobile

Taco Bell is what we know of Mexican food. Rubio's opened our eyes to seafood options. We shared a shrimp burrito that was filled with shrimp, rice and potatoes. It was delicious. Others in our party enjoyed chicken tacos, nachos and quesadilla. There were plenty of other interesting choices that we will return to try. Seating is at tables both inside and out. The tables were comfortable. Bring along a wipe as they are sticky. Very family friendly. Staff did provide assistance in how to bud our table as we were first time visitors.

1  Thank K5740PSlindam

Reviewed January 3, 2016

I went in for a side of Spanish rice. The portion size and price is great. The service at this location is awesome and the place is clean. One of the best Rubio location's.

1  Thank ducka62
Reviewed August 28, 2015

Rubio's has renamed itself Rubio's Coastal Cafe and refreshed its decor and seating since I last reviewed it. The food remains the same high quality. Two lemonades have been added to the Coke products. The dark booths have been replaced by tables. The smaller tables in the center have been replaced by a long, high table. This makes it more difficult to rearrange the tables if one is lunching with a large group as solo diners seem to gravitate toward the large table. The restaurant seemed noisier, but perhaps it was just more crowded. Service remains efficient. One problem is the redesigned condiment bar. The back row of containers is farther away and for people like me with short arms, it was hard to reach the items there. Another customer next to me had the same complaint. The shrimp enchiladas were delicious, but the chips ended up soggy due to their placement between the enchiladas and the beans. My friend had a Mahi Mahi taco and commented that Rubio's always serves a large portion of high quality fish compared to many restaurants.

Reviewed July 15, 2015

Portions are not large despite a fairly high price for an "order at the counter" kinda place. That being said, they do what they do better than anyone else we know of that features beer-battered fish.

I do have to say that they aren't the value they were a year or two ago… they seem to raise their prices regularly which is a shame.

But ya gotta love the salsa bar and nice crispy chips that come with the entrees. Definitely a good place to hit up for a fish taco or two when the craving hits.

Reviewed May 13, 2015

I don't live in California but I read about Rubios in an online article.
It claimed that it had potential to surpass Chipotle.
That's a very tall claim. Not that there is not better Mexican food than Chipotle
but very few restaurants total can match them in sales- bottom line.
When we visited California, we stopped by and I just ordered something simple.
When I tasted the street tacos, I was very impressed.They have a variety of offerings and you should check them out. Will it surpass Chipotle?
I don't think so but it's not because of the taste of the food. Believe that!

Been to Rubio's? Share your experiences!