“Excellent ribs”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Reviewed June 27, 2017

I drove there especially and out of my way just to try their excellent ribs as I've seen on Man vs Food and was not disappointed.

Date of visit: October 2016

Reviewed June 20, 2017

A co-worker and I decided to give Henry's Hi-Life a try while in San Jose on business. We found it with no problems but had a little bit harder time finding parking. When we entered the restaurant, it wasn't clear what we were supposed to do. We entered into a bar area that had a few tables. We expected to be asked to be seated or something, but nothing. Eventually we figured out that we were supposed to take a number from a box on the wall. We weren't the only customers who had no idea what to do. A family with kids came in behind us and they were as lost as we were. There's no indication whether there is more seating (for dining) somewhere or what. Also, there isn't really a menu. Just entrees carved on boards and nailed to the wall.

Once we finally figured out how to order dinner and get seated, the meal itself was very good. They brought out garlic bread with BBQ sauce. We both really enjoyed the bread. I got a NY Strip. It came with a baked potato and salad. While the guy up front who took the order asked about salad dressing, he did not ask about topping for the baked potato. Not a big deal since I like just about anything, but I could see that being a problem from some folks.

We both ordered root beer but the waiter came back and said they were out. I ordered lemonade instead, but had to remind the waiter when he forgot.

Despite the service oddities, the food was so good that I'd definitely go back. Especially since I have an idea how it works now.

Date of visit: June 2017
1  Thank raccoontrails
Reviewed June 13, 2017 via mobile

Went here with work colleagues. Had a lovely meal with some great choices of beers. Only down side is had to put clothes in a separate room that night as the smoke was very pungent.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed June 5, 2017

MEAT....excellent meat and awesome potatoes. This old place has been around for decades because the food is great and it's a fun place to go. Be prepared to chat with the crowd and be friendly because they are usually so busy you have to wait for awhile in the bar, but that's part of the charm and you will be made to feel at home. Quirky and no frills and close to downtown.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed May 24, 2017

I don't know what's more fun here - the excellent food - or the characters who work or eat here! All kinds of downtowners here. Been here a number of times over the years. It's really a landmark in downtown San Jose!

Date of visit: August 2016