“Relaxing dinner near SJC after a long travel day”

Spencer's for Steaks and Chops
Ranked #85 of 2,488 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Technology
Description: Spencer’s for Steaks & Chops offers a sophisticated and approachable dining experience. Our lunch menu includes our delicious Louise Salad with Blue Lump Crab, our infamous "Shaken Not Stirred" Cobb Salad, our Salmon Fish & Chips and our famous Spencer's Steakhouse Burger. For dinner, indulge in a 14 ounce Rib Eye, Pan Roasted Mary's Free Range, Ora King Salmon or a delicious Bone-In Filet Mignon. You can choose from an extensive list of side dishes to accompany your meal like our famous Spencer's Hash Browns. Desserts are made fresh daily and include our decadent Crème brûlée, Chocolate Cake and Tiramisu. Inside of Spencer's restaurant, you will find our 48 Wine Bar. No reservation is necessary for exclusive access to the 48 wines available by the glass, craft beers and handcrafted cocktails offered.
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

Though we live in the area, our Saturday travels had been long and no food to come home to in the fridge. Convenient to SJC in the Doubletree. My wife enjoyed the house Chardonnay and I enjoyed a negroni. The porterhouse steak was perfectly cooked medium rare, and the creamed spinach a nice accent. My wife enjoyed the Indian chicken on a plate of cooked vegetables. A hotel restaurant pitched to the expense account crowd, good food, good but indifferent service and pricey.

1  Thank S6166ZLdouglasb
CookieonArrival, Manager at Spencer's for Steaks and Chops, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Douglas B,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your visit with us here at Spencer's. We apologize you and your wife did not get the best service while at our restaurant. We are delighted the porterhouse steak was cooked to perfection and your your spouse enjoyed her Indian chicken with cooked vegetables. We glad you paired the meals with great wines and were able to enjoy our closeness to the SJC airport. We hope to see you again soon and appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed July 16, 2018

This restaurant is right in the hotel and offers a quieter, more expensive meal experience than the lounge just outside the door. When you are at the hotel other choices are limited if you are without transportation.
I was seated with three other women. We ordered drinks; asked for a bottle of wine. The wine we wanted was not available and they didn't have a substitute in the same price range. We went with cocktails and two ordered wine by the glass.
I ordered an appetizer as my main dish. I got the grilled octopus which was served on a bed of grains. It was plenty for one and done well. I liked the octopus and the grains. The octopus was tasty and tender; not over cooked or tough.
I also ordered a cocktail and it was good. They served bread to the table and we got a refill at no cost.
The others enjoyed their food too. One person got the onion soup as her meal.
We did have a problem with service. I am not sure if it was the waiter or if it was that they were understaffed. We had to wait a long time after being seated for service. Then we had the delay because they were out of the wine we wanted. Then our cocktails took a long time. It was one thing after another. Fortunately I was with good company and we weren't really in a hurry. It was late, however, by the time we got all finished.

The waiter did remember to give us individual bills.

Would I eat here again? I didn't.

1  Thank dese2

Dear dese2,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your visit with us here at Spencer's. We apologize we could not find you another bottle of wine in the same price range and the hiccups of our service being slow. We are glad you made it work with cocktails, wine by glass and you and your table enjoyed your meals. We appreciate you taking the time to post your review and will forward your comments to Spencer's Management to continuously improve on our service.

Reviewed July 9, 2018

Although billed as a steak/chop restaurant (in the Doubletree Hotel) I most enjoyed the fried crispy calimari tossed with salad ingredients. I also tried the mac and cheese with crab, but was disappointed by the relatively think cheese sauce. This could have benefited from a bit more cheese and a browned crust. The service was first rate and the freshly baked bread were also pluses.

1  Thank Fontek

Dear Fontek,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your visit with us here at Spencer's. We are delighted you enjoyed the fried crispy calamari and tossed salad ingredients. We appreciate your feedback on the mac and cheese with crab and we will certainly pass it along to our chefs to continuously increase our meals. We could not be happier that our stafff was first rate and you enjoyed the baked bread. We hope to see you again soon and appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed July 2, 2018

Brought my mom here for her 80th birthday and we all had a blast! I had the filet mignon and it was the best I have had in years. I highly recommend this steakhouse for any occasion!

2  Thank khall6275

Dear khall6275,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your visit with us here at Spencer's. We are ecstatic we were able to be a part of your mothers 80th birthday and you both enjoyed yourself. We are glad you enjoyed your fillet mignon! We hope to see you again soon and appreciate you taking the time to post your review.

Reviewed June 23, 2018

A bit pricey, but we chose their offer of 3 sides for $24. They are served family style and can easily feed two people. We ordered three each, which wasn’t necessary, but each was delicious (candied carrots, crab meat mac and cheese, mushrooms, hash browns and asparagus). All very tasty. Our service was as good as it could possibly be thanks to our wonderful waiter Kelvin. Very personable and attentive.

1  Thank IN_Travelers47906

Dear IN_Travelers47906,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding your visit with us here at Spencer's. We are delighted that Kevin was great and attentive. We are thrilled to hear you made the menu work in your favor and you enjoyed the candied carrots, crab meat mac and cheese, mushrooms, hash browns and asparagus. We hope to see you again soon and appreciate you taking the time to post your review.