“Good, but not great”
Review of Dry Creek Grill

Dry Creek Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Dry Creek Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 2,485 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2018

I went to Dry Creek Grill last night with my wife and one friend because it was highly-rated as a steak house. We had mixed results.

My friend and I split a Farhmhouse Salad. It was a great mix of very fresh vegetables. That was good.

My friend ordered the BBQ Mixed Grill (chicken, pork and ribs). He said it was excellent. My wife ordered filet mignon. She's an expert on beef. She said it was superb. However her potatoes were disappointingly dry and bland. I ate half her potatoes, and I agreed.

I ordered the BBQ brisket. The cut of meat was tender and well-cooked, but if it had any taste I couldn't taste it under the BBQ sauce which was too sweet and too tangy. In addition, the Cole slaw was also too sweet. At the end of the meal I asked for more bread because I was trying to wash the tangy, sweetness out of my mouth with bread and water.

Also, I was told the noise level was "average". The three of us agreed it was "loud", and this was all background noise, not our neighbors.

If this was a family-style BBQ joint I would not have been too disappointed, since the mixed grill and the filet Mignon were so good. But for $150 (including only one drink) I expected more out of the brisket, the Cole slaw and the potatoes. If I went back there, I would probably stick with the hamburger which seemed reasonably-priced and was supposed to be very good.

Reviewed September 21, 2018

Booked a table for 4 arrived 5 minutes early but still had to wait for a further 10 minutes before we were seated server was not the best not very friendly cocktails were good if a little slow in arriving lamb burger was ok but the creme brûlée was overcooked and very disappointing overall could do better

Reviewed September 13, 2018 via mobile

Firstly, we were left standing for 15 minutes despite having a 7:30 reservation. People arrived after us yet were seated before us. When I enquired if there was a problem with our reservation, I received no apology or explanation, just told we’d have a table soon.

The waitress was lovely, very friendly and prompt. Our starters were crab cakes which were not bad, but not great and chicken wings which were completely tasteless - fried with no sauce and very little seasoning, a trend which would continue. For mains we had scallops and short rib, both beautifully presented but with very little taste. Dessert was the highlight; cheesecake and creme brûlée, both excellent.

The decor and ambience is lovely, it’s warm and comforting. The waiting staff were excellent but it was let down by the front of house staff and the disappointing food.

Reviewed August 15, 2018

The heirloom tomato salad was good, nice presentation as well but is was down hill from there. The pinot noir was served in Bordeaux glasses and when we ordered a cabernet it was served in Pinot glasses :(.
The Seared Halibut was served well done, yes we were comp for it, but really, this should not happen. A fish should NEVER be cooked this well done. Service was better then the food.

Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

A few friends and I had dinner here. We had a yummy drink with 3 kinds of fruit in it. So refreshing! I ordered the beet salad with chicken and really enjoyed it. Ambience is nice for a nice dinner and the bar was packed. Make a reservation!