“Little neighborhood cantina, BIG TASTES!”

Zapata's Mexican Food and Taqueria
Ranked #701 of 2,367 Restaurants in San Jose
Reviewed May 17, 2015

My friend and I stumbled in here before a concert at SAP arena. The cantina is within walking distance to the arena. They advertise they have been voted the best fish tacos, but I went with an al pastor taco. Delish! Everything was so fresh and full of flavor. There is not a lot of seating. But they do have a full bar and we were lucky to have some live music. Great place if you are in the area!!!

1  Thank casavaldez

Reviewed September 27, 2014

I wasn't too sure how I found this place... I think I was looking at restaurants on UrbanSpoon that were close to the SAP Centre, for something to eat before a concert, and this place popped up, with a few favourable reviews.

When we found it, I was a little unsure, because it looked like someone's living room, with a bar set up in it. And being in a slightly industrial suburb gave it a somewhat edgy feel to it.

But, the service was friendly and welcoming, and the food was delicious. They obviously do a takeaway crowd, as well as dining in, and a probably not that well equipped for pre show / game crowds, as when we arrived (around 5.30pm), it seemed like they were getting ready to close for the night!

But the food came pretty quickly, and was delicious, in a home-cooked, genuine Mexican sort of way. You're not going to get deluxe, 5-star cooking, but you will get a decent, tasty meal, served in a simple, fun environment. Here in Australia, there's only a few Mexican restaurants, but I've never been to one that comes close to the REAL home-style food served at many places in the US. I wish I could move this family over here!!!

1  Thank Dominic F
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were looking for a bite to eat before the hockey game, and my wife had spotted Zapata's when we had driven around the arena. We both had the grilled fish taco which was very good, and good value too. Not the kind of place to go for a fancy dinner out, but for good food and quick service, I'd go back.

The only reason it is 4 stars instead of 5 is that the salsa selection was limited to two similar choices.

I also loved that they had a sign on the front counter that "if you are homeless and hungry, please ask and we will provide a meal."

2  Thank Brian W