“H Salt Esq Throwback but Better”

Harbor Fish & Chips
Ranked #673 of 2,223 Restaurants in San Jose
Reviewed 17 November 2017

Huge portions cooked to order with the crispiest batter. The fish was excellent, moist, and flavorful. I can't wait to try the other seafood items which I will do in the near future, especially the prawns and scallops. The clam chowder however was not very good. It was super thick and left a not so pleasant aftertaste.
They keep the bottled and canned drinks perfectly cold and refreshing too.

Reviewed 10 April 2017

Busy but staff tries hard. Sometimes pressing napkin to food takes excess grease away. Love the crunch. Onion rings awesome. Like the lemonade, too. Generous greasy grub.

Reviewed 21 November 2016

We were looking for a place to have some clam chowder and good fried fish - without the chips. We found this one on our "dumb" GPS. The place is in a strip-type mall. It was clean. The proprietor friendly. We ordered 2 pieces of fried fish, 2 small bowls of New England Clam Chowder, and a side order of clam strips. First up was the clam strips which were put under a warming lamp. The whole order was brought to us at once so that meant that the clams strips set there for about 5-7 minutes. I didn't time it. When we got them, it looked as if they used the last part of the bag as there were bits and pieces rather than strips. The clam chowder was not to our liking. Too much celery. But the fried fish was delicious - Icelandic Cod cooked very well. The condiments were kept refrigerated to keep them fresh. It was all served on Styrofoam, plastic utensils. Probably would look for another place to eat.

Reviewed 22 March 2016

Hands down, the best fast food seafood in the bay area. The fish and chips are to die for! Harbor Fish 'n Chips certainly holds their own (having visited England a number of times, I'm confident stating that). Other favorites include the fried shrimp (yummy!) and oinon rings. I don't know what they use for batter but it's wonderful. My friend is crazy for the clam chowder but not being a chowder fan, myself, I can only take her word for it.

It's unfortunate that it's in one of San Jose's many strip malls but it's actually a decent area of town (not "dodgy" as someone claimed), across the street from the newly remodeled Lunardi's and down the road from the Pruneyard. The restaurant sure isn't fancy, so if aesthetics and ambiance is your thing, Harbor Fish 'n Chips won't excite you but it's your loss as the food is top notch, prices are more than fair, and portions are generous. The place is Spartan to say the least, but it's absolutely clean.

I have to say, I'm pretty baffled by the few negative reviews on here (some of which are actually rather stupid and petty). In any case, any restaurant can be guilty of having an off day and not cooking a meal to perfection. And, yeah, there's a cannabis place nearby but whomever claimed that they could smell weed coming from the joint had to have been smoking something him/herself as that's not only not possible, it's downright illegal. My guess is that either a couple of people were having a bad day or a competitor is trying to drive HF&C out of business. I hope that doesn't happen.

Finally, I am not related to, a friend or acquaintaince of, nor do I have any idea who the owner(s) is/are. My friends and I discovered HF&C several months ago and it has become our new favorite go-to place for fast food. I took the time to write a review because I hope it stays around.

Reviewed 1 November 2015

Fun little place with a great menu. Portions are large so listen to the lady behind the counter when ordering. She steered up correctly regarding what to order. Would definitely come back when in the area.