“Good food, great service, weak margarita”
Review of Plaza Garibaldi

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Plaza Garibaldi
Ranked #1,165 of 2,209 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Mexican, Seafood
Reviewed 25 June 2015 via mobile

So, my wife makes fun of me because I have four categories that I rate Mexican restaurants on: atmosphere, chips and salsa, margaritas, and the meals. Well, tonight Plaza Garibaldi did a really good job on three of those categories. Plaza Garibaldi has a very relaxing environment where I would love to hang out with family and/or friends. When my wife and I first sat down we were greeted by a very friendly waitress who was attentive (but not overbearing) and did a great job delivering satisfactory customer service. Now to the margarita. When I rate margaritas I always get "top shelf" because everyone can have a house margarita. The margarita I orders was called "The Cadillac" but tasted more like the name should be "The Buick". It was way too sweet. Overall the meal and service was very good, and I am looking forward to another visit.

Reviewed 13 February 2015 via mobile

Food, drinks and ambience

Try

fish tacos
Ceviche
Pastor tacos

Authentic Mexican food, great frozen margaritas

Fairly priced and live Mariachi music

Reviewed 10 November 2014

Positive: the handmade corn tortillas were a nice surprise.
My husband and I both ordered the chicken tacos. They were excellent! Grilled chicken to perfection, seasoned with lemon and cilantro, mexican cheese and a chile garnish. 3 tacos to each plate, served on a wood cutting board. $9/each plate. Definitely no complaints in this department!

Otherwise, they have a limited menu. Which can be a good thing if the cook wants to pay special attention to what he/she prepares.

The service was great! We had a young server who paid a lot of attention to our experience.

But, right around 10 minutes after we arrived, they started with Karaoke. Country music. I really don't like country music. So, we ate with the Karaoke guy singing cheesy country music. *sigh*.

Fortunately, the server explained that Karaoke is only on Sundays. Friday and Saturdays they have Mariachis from 8pm to close. He said you really don't want to miss those!

The rest of the meal was average, we didn't order a lot of things so I don't have a full opinion of the restaurant. However, we both agreed we would return for the Mariachis.

Two chicken taco plates $18
1 horchata (and refill) $4
tax & tip
total $28

Definitely worth one try.

Reviewed 29 September 2014

We were there with a group expecting good Mexican food and it was not up to our expectations. The shrimp ceviche appetizer lacked flavor, the shrimp "a la diabla" came with the same mole sauce used for the enchiladas and while it worked for the enchiladas it was not appropriate for the shrimp dish; the one meal which was good was the 3-tacos appetizer. It was a Thursday evening and we found out there was no mariachi music but the drink prices were just as high as the weekend and they don't have a happy hour any day of the week -the basic margarita drink was $9. We would maybe return for the mariachi music, the beef tacos and a beer, maybe.

Reviewed 12 September 2014 via mobile

Came here after a long day at work and I was thrown back by the authentic corn tortillas and chicken tacos and great cheves to wash it down.. Even though there was a guy here making a scene about God knows what with looks like the owner.. I live this place and I am coming back..

Been to Plaza Garibaldi? Share your experiences!