“Fairly nice hotel, but don't expect much”

Best Western Airport Plaza
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Greenfield, California
“Fairly nice hotel, but don't expect much”
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed here mid-week in order to do some business nearby. I chose this based on my past history with the Best Western chain, which has generally been good.

When I went to check in, the person at the front desk didn't seem to want to move away from her laptop and surfing the web in order to check me in. Even after checking me in (signing, initialing, giving my car information), she proceeded to hand me my key and turn back to her laptop. I had to actually ask her what my room number was!

Along with other reviewers on this site, I was somewhat amazed to find that you went outside to get to the elevator or stairs, and it dumped you into an 'interior' hallway! The 'interior' hallway was cold, and the decor was dated, but it was clean and smelled fresh.

The room (I was in 115) was interesting to say the least. It had a king size bed and a fold-out couch, but there was no room to fold out the couch! There was a coffee table, a chair, the desk chair, and the desk all shoehorned into the side of the room, and it was impossible to open the couch (not that I needed it, though).

The desk was nice sized.. there was a 2008-9 edition of the Best Western directory in it, which seemed a bit weird. The Wireless was only mediocre, and very slow. I wonder if she was using most of the bandwidth at the front desk.

The bed was very comfortable, which surprised me. There weren't enough pillows, and I was told that there weren't any more... there was no bedding for the fold-out couch either. I guess they took the '1 guest' literally and took out the rest of the bedding and towels!

The decor was very dated -- but the room was comfortable. The alarm clock being on top of the TV was a bit weird as well. But the room did include a TV (non-LCD), a DVD player, a refrigerator, a microwave, a coffee pot, and -surprise- a whirlpool tub. (I didn't have time to partake of it, but it looked well kept up.).

I don't know if I'd stay here again, as it was a bit out of the way from my work location, but it was a nice stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank DrewTipton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Woodbury
Reviewed 12 December 2011

This hotel was very convenient to the SJC airport and the price was right. The room was very clean, with comfy furniture and bed, good towels AND had a microwave, refrigerator and coffee pot. Everything was in good repair and clean. There was a desk and desk chair, comfy armchair and a bench for putting your stuff down on, plus a luggage rack. I was very pleased with the setup. Restaurants are just down the street on Alameda, as is a grocery store. The lobby was undergoing renovation while we were there and we did not partake of the breakfast offered, as we checked out too early. Even so, the girl at the desk did offer me coffee at our 4:30am checkout.
The one issue I found strange was that access to the stairs and elevator up to the rooms was from the outside of the building, next to the parking lot area. As you went up the stairs, you emerged into interior hallways, without ever going through a door. I hope their renovations will include a security door or enclosure for the stairs and elevator or provide entry to upstairs rooms through the lobby area instead of the parking lot.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed 30 September 2011

Luke warm body theory at front desk, ask for simple directions, or even 'where do you like to eat" you get the ahhhhhhh, I ahhh, well there's ahh. Upon arriving at room, chipped or cracked walls, paint, etc. Towels at the edges were falling apart. Below average decor, who decorates with plastic flowers with real water in the bowls????? Breakfest was less than average. Area and location had abundant opportunities for food. Just don't be suprised, lower your expectations, and you will be fine. Sign at front desk indicates you will be charged for ANY additional items which includes shampoo, towels. They do give you the price of everything up front so if any thing is missing, they will assume (yes it's on the sign) you took it and therefore ok to charge to your cc.

Room Tip: there are none at all
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank endless_summer1966
CA
Reviewed 26 January 2011

Spent the night at this Best Western. Was an older hotel which looked to be a converted apt complex. Noisy rooms but comfortable beds. Asked for an upstairs room but they didn't have any available. Creaking noises woke me on numerous occasions. Semi-clean and some out dated amentites. Small breakfast area with little food to choose from.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I stayed at this hotel for one night before flying out of SJC at the end of an extended stay in the SF Bay Area.

I was allowed to check in a half hour early, although the lady at the front desk did not seem to be in the best of moods. She did give me the room I requested (top floor, not facing the street). The other staff members I encountered during my stay were pretty nice to me. There is a computer you can access in the lobby, but you are only allowed twenty minutes on it. The hotel also offers a complimentary breakfast in the mornings, which is also in the lobby. There was also a beautiful cat hanging out in the lobby. I'm a cat lover, so I did not mind this. There was covered parking, as well as uncovered parking available for free.

My room was very clean and the bed was quite comfortable. There is also a microwave and refrigerator, which both of them worked well. The tv had a large selection of channels. Minor issues I had was that every time you turned on the bathroom light, the fan would come on too, making the bathroom very noisy. Also, my room faced the parking lot as I requested, but the parking lot backs up to an apartment complex. You could hear kids playing and stuff, but it got quiet at night.

Another issue was that you access your room through an outside elevator or outside stairs. This made me feel unsafe as a solo traveler, especially since I had to check out in the wee hours of the morning. I was afraid of getting jumped or running into someone hanging around the stairs or elevator who did not belong. But the office is a few steps away from the elevator and stairs and the parking lot was pretty well lit. I also did not see any suspicious persons hanging around the hotel.

If I need a hotel near the San Jose Airport, I may stay at this hotel again, but only for a night or if I cannot find anything else cheaper.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 10 March 2010

I stayed here for my last night of a 5 night trip to San Fransisco to take in a San Jose Sharks game and then depart from San Jose's airport.The hotel is on the same street as the HP Pavilion about a mile away and the # 22 bus gets you there in a few minutes.The room was clean and comfortable and the lady at check in was nice.I used their business computer to check in on my flight and check out the Sharks home page they even use color for the printer.They have a continental breakfast included but I opted to check out Bills Diner across the street and had a outstanding Eggs Benedict that rivals any I have ever had!!!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Trailblazer44
California
Reviewed 12 March 2008

Given its proximity to the airport and the price of other properties nearby this motel is a bargain. It isn't on the strip of airport hotels, which helps. The front desk staff was friendly all three times I had to deal with them. The rooms are clean and the towels were surprisingly soft for Best Western towels. Room is a little small as the table that could be used as a desk doesn't have room for a chair to be placed in front of it. I just used the 2nd bed as a desk. Room has a fridge and microwave which is nice for leftovers. Internet access was wireless and reliable. Rooms have a DVD player and you can borrow DVDs from the office. The main negative is that if you are in a room facing the street the road noise can be loud. So ask for a room facing the parking lot. And not the fault of the motel, but at least when I was there the cars in the lot were not courteous parkers. There were plenty of empty spaces but I had a hard time parking when returning late one night because of cars thinking it was OK to park in a way where they occupy more than one space.

• Liked — price, fridge and microwave, soft towels
  • Disliked — noise from the road
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)