“Pleasantly surprised...”
Review of Layang Layang

Layang Layang
Ranked #226 of 2,310 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Description: Hour: Tu - Thr: 11AM-3PM, 5PM-9:30PM Fri: 11AM-3AM, 5PM-10PM Sat: 11AM-10PM Sun: 11AM-9PM
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Was nto hopeful when we decided to visit them in Milpitas branch which they recently opened.
But I must emphasize, much surprised! Fantastic service, OKOK ambience ( do not compare it with Banana Leaf etc ...) and delicious food.. Nasi Goreng was my favorite as well as Roti Murtabak was much beyond my expectations. Very fresh and very much worth trying!
I will surely visit them again in near future!

1  Thank iq1012

Reviewed 6 January 2012

First off, I am a Malaysian and this is a Malaysian Restaurant, so I would say I have high expectations of authenticity. Layang-layang means 'kite' in Malay (although traditional kites in Malaysia are called 'wau', you see them decorating the walls of Layang Layang).

This is the original. There is an offshoot of the original in Milpitas at Calaveras Blvd. Not sure if same owner, but the menu is the same. Take note: Only this one, the original that honors the http://restaurant.com vouchers.

Verdict: It is as close as it gets to Malaysian food in the Bay Area!

Appertizers:
Roti Canai is crispy, more akin to 'roti tissue' in Malaysia. Traditional roti canai is more chewy but the thin crispy ones seems to be the norm here. Good though. The curry sauce is hit and miss sometimes but mostly ok. Wish that they provide it with dhal curry or fish curry, as is served in Malaysia. Beef satay is good, so is the rojak. Those are our staples.

Meals:
I am more of a noodle fan, so we typically order (and recommend) the assam laksa (spicy!), the hokkien mee (Malaysian style, with black sauce, not the Singapore style, which is white), the seafood hor fun (which I wish they would do the yin-yeung style, with hor-fun and mee-hun mix). We also usually order their Hainanese chicken and rice (they are separate orders) which is pretty good and great for our kids.

Dessert:
Get the fried bananas (called 'goreng pisang' back home). You can order it without ice-cream, off the menu request.

They began selling 'kueh' which are Malaysian dessert cakes. They go quick, so order them quickly before anything else! I had someone beat me to the last order of some 'kueh' at my last sitting!

Drinks:
Try the 'teh tarik', which is a Malaysian hot milk tea. It means pulled tea, although I am not sure they actually 'pull' the tea here.

Food quality wise, I feel that this original at Cupertino is a notch up, but this restaurant is further from our home, plus it gets really busy on weekends, so you need to come early to get seats, especially for big groups. Try the one in Milpitas too!

Reviewed 19 November 2011

Small, often crowded restaurant That gets it's business via word of mouth. Try the roti chanai and the princess tofu - they are outstanding. They also have fresh nonya deserts brought in daily. Order them early if you want to try them, they generally sell out by 8.

1  Thank RichieLee
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This place has awesome malaysian food. I love their roti canai, fresh coconut juice, and fried bananas. This place does get really busy so avoid peak hours either grad an early lunch or early dinner.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 1 April 2009

The best Malaysian restaurant in the bay area!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Been to Layang Layang? Share your experiences!