“Always goid”

El Amigo
Ranked #555 of 2,367 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed February 13, 2017 via mobile

This is my favorite go to Mexican restaurant in San Jose/Santa Clara. Always reliable, good chips and salsa.
They really need to work on their iced tea, it is dreadful. I have been here dozens of times.

1  Thank Sharon H

Reviewed September 24, 2016

I went with a group of about 20 ladies. We had called ahead of time, so they knew that we were a crowd. After taking our orders, we waited 1 hour and 15 minutes before they started bringing our food. They had no idea who ordered what--or even which end of the table. They would yell out the order and look who reacted to bring it to them. I ordered the 2 soft chicken tacos plate which came with beans, rice and a salad. The tortillas on my tacos were super greasy. The meat had a good flavor. The rice and beans were nothing special. I never got the salad. When I mentioned it to the waiter at the end of the meal, he said that he brought out salad and asked who wanted it. I don't recall that, but even if that was true--it came with my dinner and he had even asked what kind of dressing I wanted! There were others that ordered things that never came. One lady had to wait an additional 10 minutes after we got our meals to get hers--and she had ordered a salad! I don't see myself going back here ever.

Reviewed July 25, 2016

Margaritas muy excellente! Guacamole made table side. Everything was very good. live music on a Sunday made it a little extra special.

Reviewed July 25, 2016

I belong to a MeetUp for widows and widowers. Our dinner here on Sunday night was delightful because the staff made us feel welcome and the food was nice. I have had much better salsa but theirs wasn't bad. Our server took photos of us, kept our water glasses filled and even let us have separate checks. The owner even came by to make us feel welcom.

1  Thank MarriedWidow
Reviewed May 18, 2016

Just okay Mexican food.

Salad: Tossed salad with the Jalapeño Cilantro dressing is unique and very good! Similar to an Italian dressing, but with a kick!

Entree: El Grande Combination ($13.95). Choose three items and include rice and refried beans. My choices:
-- Burrito with Chile Verde: Nice chunks in the Chile Verde, but the sauce was bland and uninspiring.
-- Chile Relleno: Cheesy inside but a red sauce covered the relleno and made the crispy skin a little soggy.
-- Crispy Taco (w chicken): Smaller than traditional tacos, but full of meat, shredded cheese, and lettuce. The shell was fragile, but tasty.

Ambiance: Bright and colorful.

Service: Excellent! The Servers were very attentive and prompt. I am giving an additional star based upon the service.

Summary: Smothering all the items melded all the flavors together. Too bad because I think there's potential. The quality is there--but the sauce is bland and there is too much added to the dish.