“TERRIBLE!!!!”

Add it.
Goveas Restaurant
Ranked #796 of 2,367 Restaurants in San Jose
Reviewed April 30, 2017

Govea's was sold. It is now Tres Amigos. We have been going to Govias for years. As soon as you walk in, you can see and feel something is different. We commented how everything that was Govias was gone, all the decor, all the home feeling you got before has now faded away. We settled at our table and ordered our two favorite dishes that we usually ordered in the past. First strike was no Dr. Pepper, my wife loves DP, so okay no worries she settled for a coke, no biggie, I ordered the lemonade I always ordered,"no more lemonade" (second strike). Okay I got a coke. we ordered our food. While waiting we were used to having a decent size bowl of very good chips and salsa, the chips were the same ( at first) but only one bowl of salsa ( no more two bowls of spicy and one mild salsa). I usually power through a basket of chips and salsa before our dinners came. Our orders arrived, but there was something missing, the small delicious salads are no longer part of the course (third strike) ok well things have changed. we start to eat, and the waitress comes and asks if we want more chips and salsa, sure I said, chips come, and they are not the same chips as when we first arrived!! very odd but maybe they ran out?, they are of an off brand I have never seen before, and are terrible ( fourth strike). My wife notices that her plate usually came with guacamole and sour cream, no more ( fifth strike). We are done, this is nothing like how it used to be, and we will never come back here again, as all in all the atmosphere has changed, the food has changed, the homie feel has changed, so disappointed. Funny that the receipts still say Govea's, but the store front says Tres Amigos.

Reviewed February 28, 2017 via mobile

I've been going to Goveas for over 25 years. The quality of the food has materially diminished since the new ownership.

The Goveas Supreme Chicken Burrito was my go to special.

Now this burrito is watery, chicken is a mix white and dark meat (previously was only white).

I hope the new owners review this. I'd love to comeback as this was, in my opinion the best Mexican Restaurant in Nor Cal!

Reviewed December 23, 2016

Outstanding service and probably the best Mexican food in the Bay area. Lots of parking available. Don't miss this one.

Reviewed June 27, 2016

Senior citizen talking to other seniors: This is a small, homespun type of place in a shopping mall--not upscale by any means. But it works for seniors--clean, very pleasant staff, music is not too loud, cool on a hot day. If you like homestyle Mexican food, this place is worth a try. Be forewarned--portions are very large. The regular Govea's wet burrito can feed two seniors. Still waiting for a liquor license when we were there, so can't comment about beer or wine.

Reviewed May 29, 2016

Delicious food, tasty margaritas. The people make you feel at home the minute you come in. Everything we've had has been great. Love the shrimp enchiladas, chicken enchiladas, tacos, burritos. Warm, crispy chips, salsa not volcanic - did not make tears stream down my face. Just spicy enough. Yummy rice. Lots and lots of menu choices and options. Great for families, singles, couples. Small place but lots of tables. Family feel. Love to support local places, and this is one of our favorites.