“A wonderfully twee apple pie hotel”
Review of Apple Farm Inn

Apple Farm Inn
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 22 September 2017

The whole place smelt of cinnamon and apple. The staff were very friendly (don't know how the keep it up) and helpful. We only used this place as an overnight stopover but it was comfortable and I would recommend it.

1  Thank susan s
Write a ReviewReviews (1,474)

Reviewed 18 September 2017

We arrived at 5pm and were shown straight to our room which was very nice with a good bathroom with lots of counter space. The room was a good size and air conditioned but was semi-basement which I was not keen on. There was noise from the next room's air con unit near our room window and we could hear a little noise from the next room.

The beds were very comfortable and decor very nice especially the beautiful corridors and reception area, very welcoming and attractive and unlike most other hotels.

We only stayed here one night while travelling and I should mention that my husband was less keen on this hotel than me.The bakery on site was excellent. I have reviewed the restaurant separately.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

I know there are many raving reviews about the Apple Farm Inn and I have to say it is a beautiful property. But when I write reviews, I try to think about what I would want to know before booking my lodging. We’ve often stopped to walk the property or had dinner here but this was our first time actually staying at the Apple Farm.
I’ll start with the ‘pros’. The layout, design, and gardens are very enjoyable and scenic. It has a rustic feel and is pretty clean and well kept. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. They had a complimentary wine tasting when we arrived and gave us a glass of wine and a cookie while checking in. The SLO trolley pickup is very close to the property and conveniently takes you downtown. We booked a “King Specialty Room” which was slightly larger and more ‘plush’. That’s the positive. Now for reality.
When we entered our room there was an unusual smell. I believe it was an attempt to create a country style apple farm ambiance, but to me it reminded me of my grandma’s old and stale potpourri and was a bit overdone. It wasn’t a smell you get used to and when I woke up in the middle of the night I would notice it.
The wrought iron poster style bed was slightly comfortable but ridiculously squeaky. I even recorded how loud it was when my wife got in or out of the bed. All night if either of us moved, it made noise. Also, our room was facing the parking lot close to the lobby. As people came and went we could hear the cars pull up, doors opening and shutting, people walking in and out, and could make out most of their conversation. It was as if the window was open but I know it wasn’t. There was also an intermittent and very loud humming that came from the floor under our closet. There was a mini-fridge in the closet that I unplugged just in case, but this was something else and was 7 or 8 times louder than a fridge humming.
That’s the regular stuff. To make matters worse, there was a wedding party staying on the same part of the third floor where we were. They started coming in from the wedding around 10:30 pm and didn’t stop making noise until after 2am. They were going back and forth from room to room all evening. They would knock on each other’s doors walking up and down the hallways and having phone conversations in the corridors. They were obviously drunk and were very vulgar. I went down to the lobby and asked the front desk to do something. The security guard attempted to get them under control a number of times but with no success. When he would leave, they would stand in the hallway and talk about how mad they were at the hotel staff for ‘bothering’ them. By midnight, I was fed up. I had been woken up several times and finally just called the police. They said they would go by but I don’t think they ever did. The loudest part went on at 2am for about 20 minutes right in front of our door.
The next morning just after 7am I was awoken by a pounding noise in a neighboring room. That went on for about 10 minutes. With little sleep and little hope of being allowed to sleep we finally just wanted to get out of there. When I mentioned all this to the front desk at check out, they offered us a complimentary breakfast. This seemed nice but when I thought about it, the places we usually stay in Morro Bay or Cambria typically offer complimentary breakfast as part of your stay anyway.
Lessons learned? The Apple Farm is a beautiful place to visit and have dinner. But for the price, I can get much more value by staying somewhere else in the area and just visiting here during the day or evening. We were horribly disappointed with this visit but now we know.

Room Tip: Pick a hotel close by and just visit this property during the day or for dinner.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Kim W, Guest Relations Manager at Apple Farm Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Good Morning. I believe I am familiar with this situation but we did not have contact information for you so I am go glad to hear from you!. I would like to discuss this matter further if you would email me back at my address below. I truly hope to hear from you!

Kim Wykoff
Guest Services Director
kimw@applefarm.com

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Where do I start?..the most amazing quaint, traditional, elegant place I have ever stayed!
From the buildings, reception staff, rooms, pool, daily refreshments (including home baked cookies-wine in reception-wine tasting in the lovely little outhouse-in room sweets) this Inn has thought of everything and delivers in theme and quality! There's even a guestbook in rooms so you can read others experiences & hints of places to go, what a great idea!
The outdoor pool is a lovely addition to stay and made ours even more enjoyable as we had it to ourselves for a few hrs when taking some down time. Beautiful!!
Just off the highway it's a great location and only a 10mins stroll into town where we found happy welcoming locals, lots of shops, dining and bars.
Definitely at the top of our list to return & I've been telling everyone about this place!
I'd say great for couples, families and sole traveller...it has a lot to see but with an air of peace around it...just lovely ❤️

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2017

The Apple Farm Inn is the place to stay ! When we checked in we were offered their delicious Apple Cider. Also offered us a glass of wine. Which was delicious also. The personnel are all so gracious. Our room was lovely. We dined at the Apple Farm Restaurant which was wonderful! They also have a gift shop full of goodies. Parking is free.

Room Tip: Book a suite if your celebrating something special.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here as a stop off heading south, a great place, friendly staff, nice rooms and a great restaurant. A nice touch with a discount in the restaurant for hotel occupants, the food was top quality.....and lots of it too!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PCart1
Reviewed 12 September 2017

We had a lovely stop here. Welcomed by a glass of bubbly and a cookie, the staff were delightful. the free wine and cookies in the afternoons got us chatting to other guests which was a nice touch. The pool was clean and pretty, the gift-shop is gorgeous. The room wasn't huge but was very comfortable. We would come back here.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple