“Madonna Inn...Check!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
“Madonna Inn...Check!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2012

For years I dreamed of spending a night...or more...at the Madonna Inn. It's known for it themed rooms and pampering. The Inn was a pleasant surprise because of the new upgrades to the old hotel. We stayed in one of the "rock" rooms which makes taking a shower a whole new experience. Our room came with a waterfall in the shower! The bedding was extremely inviting and the ammenties were Madonna Inn style. Each room has a flat screen tv, ironing board and robes to keep you looking your best. The best surprise was the new spa area next to the pool. The spa offers all the usual services at reasonable prices. The pool area has a two jacuzzis and a waterfall along with an exercise room and bar. The view from the pool area is gorgeous, especially as the sun sets and the surrounding mountains turn shades of red and gold. We were not disappointed with the Inn even though we waited 35 years to stay there. One more thing off the list...check!

Room Tip: Check for internet prices before heading to the desk...you'll save a bunch!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Turkish first
Central Valley CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Hubby took me to the Madonna Inn for a surprise birthday get-away. When we first drove up, I was struck by all the pink, and I like pink so that was OK. We checked in and drove up the hill to our room, which unfortunately, was on the 3rd floor. No prob...let's take the elevator...ut oh, NO elevator! So, hubby and I with our bad knees dragged up our luggage. I suppose we could have asked for a different room, but Hubby had picked this room out specifically for the name, American Beauty, in honor of me (he says, but I think he's too kind!). What is fun about this place is that each room as a different theme! So, we start to put our clothes away...but there is NO drawer space, so we live out of our suitcase for 4 days. Next, we go to set up our computers (yes, it's vacation time, but we still need to stay in touch for personal/business reasons). Tried the wi fi like the place advertised (both wired and wireless for a fee in ALL rooms)...um....can't get online with the wireless....call down to office and was snippishly told there IS no wireless in the rooms, only wired for a fee. Before I could point out that wi fi was advertised in the guidebook in the room, I was hung up on. Sigh. Looks like another bait and switch. So far, not a happy start to vacation. Hubby and I then go down to the bar....OMG, what a wonderful place! The barkeeps Melissa (the next day Brad and the next day Erika) were SO MUCH fun and so very friendly!! Now things are looking up! We then go to the Gold Rush restaurant which advertises that you can all but cut their steaks/prime rib with a fork (yeah right I think)....again, OMG!! I was waiting for the waitress, Sharon (for two of the nights and who was great…we had Katy the third night was also very good) to bring us steak knives....not needed!! The first night Hubby and I used the butter knives to cute the steaks (and all the consecutive nights as well!). Desserts of coconut cream pie and champagne cake blew us away! YUMMY!!! Sated with a wonderful dinner and yummy dessert, Hubby and I went back to the bar to listen to the Frank Gary Band.....FUN! It was late and we headed back to our room, climbed to the third floor and started to settle in for the night. I like to read before going to sleep so was looking forward to getting into my book. Oops....no nightstand light! Only bright flood lights above the bed, which after I got done reading I had to get back out of bed, walk around to the other side of the room and shut off the lights. I then had to feel my way around the bed again before climbing in. Now wide awake again! However, Hubby and I both thought the bed was very comfy! So, in conclusion to my rambling on: Hubby and I liked this place and would probably go back but only if we could get a lower floor room. But the REAL draw to us is the restaurant and bar and the people who worked in that part of the establishment. All in all, it turned out to be a very nice birthday vacation! :)

Room Tip: No elevator; no wi fi; VERY limited wheelchair access.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Ok, everyone should spend a night or so at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo one time in their life. The owners like pink and it is evident in the small details of the property. They also like to decorate their rooms according to a theme (every room is unique) and sometimes they can be a little garish.
BUT DO NOT LET THIS SPOIL YOUR EXPERIENCE! It is magical- a one of a kind experience.
We had never stayed before and chose the Wilhelm Tell room. It is shaped in a half circle, very red with the story of Tell depicted in stained glass windows all around. The room was quaint and comfortable but that wasn't all. Our bathroom (and parts of the bedroom) were lined with large rocks. The walk in shower had the traditional shower head and a water fall spewing from the rocks above. Really enjoyed the experience!!
Then before you leave, visit their restaurant and shops. Also very eye catching! They say it's men's bathroom is worth a visit - even to the women in your party.
The pool area is also enticing. The garden is beautiful and the water inviting.
Last but not least sample one of their mile high cakes - we had the pink champagne. It's worth the calories ;0)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

My husband and I stayed there during a road trip from L.A. to San Francisco on Dec 25. The hotel, especially the dining room was very nice and crazy :-) decorated. We did not make a reservation for Christmas dinner and asked the night of our check in. They were booked out, but somehow they managed to get us a table for two. It seemed like the whole town was eating there. Dinner was delicious. The room was clean, even the toilet was an adventure (try it!). We had a lovely view over the back hills. In the morning, there were hummingbirds every where in the gardens! We really enjoyed staying there, next time we are in that area we will do so again!

Room Tip: Go for something new, fun and different!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danella23
musicben
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

I've had a few rooms over the years. Caveman suite was best. It needs a refurbishment and has got quite commercial. The steaks are good as are the cocktails.

• Stayed May 2011
Roseville, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Very spendy for an OK room. We were in the Yosemite Rock Room, which even in the low season was almost $300/night. The bed was OK and the rock decor was interesting but cheesy. The fireplace made noise to where we had to leave it off. The worst part was that the wind blew in the door (crooked/huge gap on the bottom and top left) so loudly that it kept us up. My husband cracked the window in the bathroom which seemed to fix it. The hotel had put slats in the bathroom door; so it seemed like they knew about this but couldn't fix it properly. For such a high rate I would expect a quiet room.

Room Tip: Try and find one without cracks in the door; may be tough to do though.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank nikki545
Colorado Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

We stayed in the Paris Violets room. It was definitely different than any place we had stayed before, but it was a once in a lifetime experience. Upon arriving the staff greeted us and checked us in. The whole experience was rather delightful, and if we are ever in the area again we would probably stay here for a night. I would definitely pick a different room to see what it would be like. My wife and kids enjoyed it very much. The pool, which has a gently sloping entrance, was like walking into warm bath water. It was very relaxing. That evening we ate at the Gold Rush Steakhouse, which was unique in itself.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family