“Funky & Fun”

Ranked #5 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
London, United Kingdom
“Funky & Fun”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Huge, funky rooms, excellent parking and amenities. Excellent for couples!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Turkish first
Port Hueneme, California, United States
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The Modonna Inn is one of those places you put on the "I need to do that at least once" list. The rooms were very nice but needed some updating. The pillows were not pillows just a bunch of hard balls. (I think maybe original from opening day).And the beds are very hard. But we enjoyed the unique styles of the rooms. But what ever you do DO NOT EAT AT THE RESTAURANT! Way over priced for what you get. I have no problem payed good money for quality food but the steaks were full of grissel with no flaver and they were out of most of their cakes which is what we had heard so much about. The food was cold and looked like something my 12 year old daughter could make better. The worst part is we had to wait a long time and pay to much for this food and service. I think they decorate the resaurant so crazy so that you don't notice how bad your food is.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Belfast
Reviewed 14 February 2012

The Madonna Inn is well worth a visit, if only to browse the shop, or have a look around the Inn which is a unique experience - apparently the gents toilets are worth a look!! We stayed in the Captains Bridge room which was again really unique if not a little too dark. We had dinner in the restaurant which was excellent and great value for money. Note that the Inn is not really close to the town centre, so if you plan to eat in town then you need a car or a taxi. We also enjoyed the spa which is above the Inn, it is very clean and the pool very refreshing on a warm day. If you are passing through I would recommend that you stop for a night.

Room Tip: Browse the Madonna Inn web site as they show what each room looks like
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 February 2012

An amazingly gratorious hotel. The staff were very friendly, courteous and helpful. Although not able to book the room we really really wanted (as you have to nominate a few rooms) the hotel did book us into our first choice which was Yahoo, the cowboy room. It was truly brilliant, complete with a starry starry ceiling.

A hotel like no other, it is way over the top, but what a great place to stay in the land of excess. It may not be everybody's cup of tea but if you like the look of the hotel (and the website shows photos of every room it has) you will not be disappointed.

We ate in the restaurant and it was very enjoyable, i swear Barbara Cartland was hiding round the corner of every pillar, smiling.

Room Tip: Have a look at their website, the rooms are all photographed and well worth spending time looking fo...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank garagedweller
Encinitas, California
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We just got home from a weekend stay at The Madonna Inn. It was a very nice experience. We stayed in the Traveler's Suite (room 157) and it was HUGE!!! There are two king size beds as well as two large chairs and an enormous sofa. It was clean and comfortable. The staff was really nice from the front desk to the bar and cafe everyone was very accommodating. We would definitely go back. The reason fro only 4 instead of 5 stars was the thin walls. We could hear our neighbors pretty clearly late into the evening.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
Reviewed 6 February 2012

For years I dreamed of spending a night...or more...at the Madonna Inn. It's known for it themed rooms and pampering. The Inn was a pleasant surprise because of the new upgrades to the old hotel. We stayed in one of the "rock" rooms which makes taking a shower a whole new experience. Our room came with a waterfall in the shower! The bedding was extremely inviting and the ammenties were Madonna Inn style. Each room has a flat screen tv, ironing board and robes to keep you looking your best. The best surprise was the new spa area next to the pool. The spa offers all the usual services at reasonable prices. The pool area has a two jacuzzis and a waterfall along with an exercise room and bar. The view from the pool area is gorgeous, especially as the sun sets and the surrounding mountains turn shades of red and gold. We were not disappointed with the Inn even though we waited 35 years to stay there. One more thing off the list...check!

Room Tip: Check for internet prices before heading to the desk...you'll save a bunch!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Central Valley CA
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Hubby took me to the Madonna Inn for a surprise birthday get-away. When we first drove up, I was struck by all the pink, and I like pink so that was OK. We checked in and drove up the hill to our room, which unfortunately, was on the 3rd floor. No prob...let's take the elevator...ut oh, NO elevator! So, hubby and I with our bad knees dragged up our luggage. I suppose we could have asked for a different room, but Hubby had picked this room out specifically for the name, American Beauty, in honor of me (he says, but I think he's too kind!). What is fun about this place is that each room as a different theme! So, we start to put our clothes away...but there is NO drawer space, so we live out of our suitcase for 4 days. Next, we go to set up our computers (yes, it's vacation time, but we still need to stay in touch for personal/business reasons). Tried the wi fi like the place advertised (both wired and wireless for a fee in ALL rooms)...um....can't get online with the wireless....call down to office and was snippishly told there IS no wireless in the rooms, only wired for a fee. Before I could point out that wi fi was advertised in the guidebook in the room, I was hung up on. Sigh. Looks like another bait and switch. So far, not a happy start to vacation. Hubby and I then go down to the bar....OMG, what a wonderful place! The barkeeps Melissa (the next day Brad and the next day Erika) were SO MUCH fun and so very friendly!! Now things are looking up! We then go to the Gold Rush restaurant which advertises that you can all but cut their steaks/prime rib with a fork (yeah right I think)....again, OMG!! I was waiting for the waitress, Sharon (for two of the nights and who was great…we had Katy the third night was also very good) to bring us steak knives....not needed!! The first night Hubby and I used the butter knives to cute the steaks (and all the consecutive nights as well!). Desserts of coconut cream pie and champagne cake blew us away! YUMMY!!! Sated with a wonderful dinner and yummy dessert, Hubby and I went back to the bar to listen to the Frank Gary Band.....FUN! It was late and we headed back to our room, climbed to the third floor and started to settle in for the night. I like to read before going to sleep so was looking forward to getting into my book. Oops....no nightstand light! Only bright flood lights above the bed, which after I got done reading I had to get back out of bed, walk around to the other side of the room and shut off the lights. I then had to feel my way around the bed again before climbing in. Now wide awake again! However, Hubby and I both thought the bed was very comfy! So, in conclusion to my rambling on: Hubby and I liked this place and would probably go back but only if we could get a lower floor room. But the REAL draw to us is the restaurant and bar and the people who worked in that part of the establishment. All in all, it turned out to be a very nice birthday vacation! :)

Room Tip: No elevator; no wi fi; VERY limited wheelchair access.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple