All reviews waffles free breakfast upgraded to a suite motel style stay there again room was clean and comfortable monterey street front desk staff booked this hotel paso robles hot breakfast thursday night stayed for one night mini fridge pismo beach living room farmers market
Reviewed August 14, 2016 via mobile

Had complications with a room and he handled the situation well and even upgraded nice room they upgraded to the June suite. They even had fresh cookies and a trolley stop not far away to take you to downtown SLO and a gas station near by just in case you need anything that you forgot to purchase before.There was also a pizza place near by that delivers and is pretty delicious.Enjoyed my stay!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Marissa J
Reviewed August 7, 2016

I ignored the bad reviews of this property instead choosing to believe the better reviews and booked this property for a two night visit to San Luis Obispo. We left after the first night as, even at $140 a night, I could not see paying for another night of what was an extremely rough around the edges low end motel. The bathroom was held together with various shades of caulk (see photo). The view from the bed was of exposed piping under the sink (see photo). The final straw was the deplorable lack of any effort to maintain the breakfast area during breakfast service (see photos). I understand how keeping a busy free breakfast area can be a challenge but I've also seen it done many many times at other hotels/motels. When I approached the front desk to ask why not even a minimum of effort was being made to keep the breakfast area clean I received an eye-roll from the young lady who then sent the other young lady to the breakfast area where she gave a cursory wipe to the area. To management, this was the morning of August 4, 2016 if you are interested in knowing who your staff was this particular morning, but then again, my experience might be your normal. The attached photo was AFTER the young lady's attempt at cleaning the area. We have stayed at more "breakfast included" lower priced hotel/motels than I can even begin to count and never have we encountered such a filthy breakfast area. You can read all the other bad reviews about the dated furnishings, lack of parking spaces for all guests, and how the parking spaces they do have are ridiculously close together, and I suggest you, unlike me, give them serious consideration before booking this motel. I am grateful that they allowed us to cancel our second night's stay without penalty.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Margaret B
Matthew W, General Manager at Sands Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2016

Margaret B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I take your comments seriously and we will use them to improve. Thank you for providing me the date and time as well – that’s helpful.

Last half of July and first half of August the hotel sells out every night, as do most places in town. Add in a few over-sized vehicles and parking can be a little tight on such nights, and I’m sorry for that. We do have a covered parking area as well as an overflow lot in the back.

Regarding the condition of the waffle-maker, clearly another guest left a waffle in it for too long and it was burned. It should have been pulled from the line – that’s why we have two. I’m sorry it wasn’t.

I am glad that you were able to cancel without a penalty. We try to be pretty flexible about things like that. We also try to provide a fair value for your money in the first place. In your instance, it sounds like we missed the mark. If you’d like to discuss this more, you can reach me by calling the hotel.

Reviewed August 3, 2016

Yes it's another "Oldie But Goodie'. We had a two-queen bedroom [138], an end room. We had a good nights sleep, so that means our bodies liked the beds! There was a sink, tub/shower [no grab bar], and a low-oval toilet in the bathroom. There was also another sink with a large counter area in the main room. WIFI and A/C worked fine and there was a TV, microwave, fridge/freezer, the usual furniture for most hotels. Adjacent to the main lobby was also a work-out room with a weight station and a treadmill. Monday's breakfast [8/1/16] was scrambled eggs and sausage patties with two [I think] waffle makers, apple and orange 100% juice, two other fruit drinks, as well as breads, sweets [including some scones!], and the usual other stuff. Outdoor eating area and outdoor pool. There was also a limited amount of covered parking. Jason checked us in and was most helpful. Great guy!

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

WowPeter,

Thank you for your kind words about our hotel – they brightened our day.

Jason is a gem and we are lucky to have him.

Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed August 1, 2016

Visiting southern California for college tours with a stop at Cal Poly SLO. Since our days were full of travel and activity, our time in a hotel room was going to be limited. So we were looking for a reasonably priced room that was clean and comfortable in San Luis Obispo, near the CP campus, so that we could get the full feel for the school and town. The Sands Inn fit those needs perfectly. The room was comfortable and we were able to get a good night's rest. When we checked in, the front desk staff was helpful and friendly and guided us to an excellent spot for dinner that evening.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

BigUglyFish,

Thank you for being our guest and for your comments.

I hope your scholar chooses Cal Poly and that we get to host your family for years to come.

Cheers!

Reviewed July 25, 2016

The front desk staff was kind. The ac wasn't working in our room, so they moved us to another room that was a little smaller and cheaper. I enjoyed both rooms. The bedding was comfortable, and I liked that there was a sheet overbthe blanket, instead of a bedspread. The bathroom was accomodating and clean with spacious vanity. There were plenty of power outlets, and good wifi service. We didn't take advantage of the greakfast, but it looked great. My husband and I Enjoyed the pool and spa. The motel is close to nightlife and restaurants. I would stay here again, and look forward to bringing my dog.

Room Tip: The king size room has a large vanity area detatched from the large bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

marisa2222016,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay. We just go that new pool completed in June and we are excited about it. Thank you for mentioning it.

Our hotel is indeed pet-friendly for a fee of $25 per stay – 1 night or 10 nights, it’s just $25. That fee goes straight into the extra cleaning those specific rooms receive.

We look forward to hosting you on your next trip to San Luis Obispo.