“Motor hotel with nice staff”
Review of Sands Inn & Suites

Sands Inn & Suites
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in San Luis Obispo
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Room was upstairs, and when we asked to be farther away from the stairs, staff willingly accommodated us. The room amenities were nice but not exceptional. For the road trip weary, it was pleasant. Breakfast was adequate, with the usual hotel quality scrambled eggs, sausage patty, make your own waffle, yogurt, cereal and toast/bagels. Families would likely enjoy the selection and convenience. Nice, but not worthy of a vacation destination stay.

Room Tip: Quieter upstairs away from the pool and entry to the property.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 July 2017

My son and his girlfriend took the train to San Luis Obispo from San Diego yesterday and arrived in SLO late in the evening without a booked hotel room. Since I knew the area very well and was familiar with the Sands Inn & Suites on Monterey St, I decided to make a call on their behalf, as they had texted me from the train upon their arrival. They asked me if I had a recommendation for lodging. I called the Sands and Daniel was working the front desk and took my call. I explained that my son and girlfriend were just arriving in town, not familiar with the area and asked me for a recommendation. Daniel said he had just few rooms available and offered up a very competitive room price. He was the consummate customer service professional. I booked a room as a gift to my son and his girlfriend. I got a call later from my son and he was so excited that Daniel had upgraded them to a very nice room. They had been traveling for almost 8 hours and that special touch was just what they needed. A special thanks to Daniel for his very professional and compassionate handling of my request.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

Decided to give it a try since we were visiting at Cal Poly (which is literally a mile away). Great close location to downtown as well but we were so surprised by the large room. We had two queens with table and desk, refrig and microwave and a separate dressing area with a sink so two people could actually get ready at the same time. Room was clean and while more on the basic side nicely decorated. Pool looked nice and breakfast was included. I will definitely come back.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Denapriser
Reviewed 25 April 2017

very nice clean hotel. drive up parking. heated pool. wonderful breakfast. internet slower if your room is away from lobby. walk only 20 min from downtown. brewery and food just steps away. recommended if the price is right. high weekend room rates. meutermedia

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank MeuterMedia
Reviewed 3 March 2017

We had booked a 3 night stay at this hotel, and, personally, I was a bit worried about this prior to our stay. What if it was dreadful, WiFi not working, breakfast rubbish etc etc. We didn't need to worry though. It was clean and good, with lots of choice for breakfasts, nice enough bathrooms, good large beds, plentiful parking, mostly working WiFi (and printing etc) services, and terrifically nice staff. I was actually quite sad to leave the hotel at the end of our stay.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter T
Reviewed 16 February 2017

We enjoyed our stay. The room was large and clean. We had 2 beds. Breakfast was included. The pool is heated.We had to carry our luggage to the second floor. The hotel clerk did offer to carry our bags for us.;

Stayed: January 2017
1  Thank orange552015
Reviewed 23 January 2017

SLO isn't cheap so you do get what you pay for around here. But for some reason, I found this place and it wasn't bad. Monterey has most of the motels in town, and I've stayed at a few of them, the last being the Inn at SLO across the street a few years ago when it was a Best Western.

For one night, Sands was a no-frills but had a convenient location to Downtown and was easy to get to. Love that they had chocolate chip cookies at the registration desk and comp. breakfast. I know the Holiday Inn Express is around the corner but it costs more. For my stay, the Sands was on point.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business