“Great value and very good food”
Review of The Fish Market

The Fish Market
Ranked #4 of 423 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$12 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled alongside a quiet lagoon, our fourth restaurant, and the first to feature the upstairs, upscale Top of the Market, has been a dining destination for bay area residents since 1982. This beautiful restaurant also features a full-service cocktail bar and lounge area, and a popular oyster bar. Patio dining is available in the summer months.
Reviewed 6 February 2018

We went to The Fish Market last week and we had their menu for early diners.
It is a fantastic value.
The food was very good also.

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

After this long flight from Europe to USA you are always looking for a nice restaurant with good food, relaxed atmosphere and drinks... well - these guys did a great job! Food was great, we have a large table and with multiple people joining and leaving they didn’t care - and I think in summertime when you can sit at the lake it will be even better

Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

Food still pretty good here. I do wish they have gluten free options since I’ve developed a severe allergic reaction. You can never go wrong with any of the fish. Brussel sprouts are a little salty, but good flavor.

Reviewed 30 January 2018

The cioppino was not the same as it used to be. It used to be full of crab with the stomach. The cioppino was good but it didn't need all the fish that was probably yesterdays fish. Broth still very good. Drinks not very good. This place used to be packed

Reviewed 28 January 2018

The good is that the fish I have had here has always been fresh and there are some kinds of fish I can't get in my local markets. That said, it was downhill from there .

Instead of using the whole restaurant and giving diners a pleasant uncrowded experience, All of the diners were crammed into two areas and the noise was totally unbearable- making this not a dining experience but merely a chance to suck up some calories and get the heck out of there .

The level of noise obviously is having an effect on he servers. We had to ask our server 3 times for water and other drinks, and each time she seemed surprised that they hadn't magically appeared on our table.

I had one very specific order because of diet needs and it was totally blown. I had asked for a simple piece of chicken with absolutely nothing on it, and it came ut with salt pepper butter lemon, and a couple of garnishes. Their idea of absolutely nothing and mine are worlds apart. I ended up washing the chicken off in the water.

I asked for water with no ice and all I got was water with ice. The server seemed more interested in talking with people at the next table than in getting any of the orders right the first time.

That crappy service set the tone for the whole meal. The food itself once we got it was good, but the uphill climb to even get it was more than annoying.

THis is a lovely place along the water, but they do not use the space well for the comfort of the patrons- The cioppino is worth a try, but overly heavy on shellfish with one crab claw. rather than any discernible chunks of fish.

The crab salad suffers from a lack of identity. -Take a bunch of chopped lettuce etc and put a glop of crab salad on it- while tasting good is just not noteworthy. Given the local markets for crab and the history of crab in the region one might expect better. - ie a real chunk of crab meat artistically arrayed on the lettuce- not a homogeneous glop of crab and mayo.

The dressing on the salad was nondescript citrusy something or other and the whole lettuce part could use a good mix with the dressing. As it was I happened upon pockets of dressing amongst the leaves. - not the kind of treasure hunt I like.

The tables were so close that I kept on getting bumped by people getting up from the next table and there is no excuse for laying out a space tha poorly.

Finally the noise problem was the worst I have had in any restaurant to date. Some people think its trendy to go to a noisy happening place- but I would l actually like to talk with my friends over dinner, not suck food down and leave so we could talk outside.

2  Thank Mithra
kirk b, Guest Relations Manager at The Fish Market, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Mithra - Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your dining experience. The general manager of the San Mateo Restaurant, Simon, would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with you. Please email me a way to contact you at fishmarketfeedback+gsmmit@gmail.com I hope to hear from you soon. Kirk B