“Raw fish”

Ranked #4 of 449 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$12 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled alongside a quiet lagoon, our fourth restaurant, and the first to feature the upstairs, upscale Top of the Market, has been a dining destination for bay area residents since 1982. This beautiful restaurant also features a full-service cocktail bar and lounge area, and a popular oyster bar. Patio dining is available in the summer months.
Reviewed February 21, 2018

I'm way behind on leaving this review (like, a couple of years behind) but this has been our worst dining experience in the Bay Area to date. My wife and I ordered two different fish dishes and they were both served raw. I dont even remember how the service or sides were because the raw fried fish is all I can remember.

Date of visit: March 2017

Reviewed February 20, 2018

Bay Area is famous for its food. Fish and other seafood are always highest quality. You can get spoiled very easily by visiting all those places serving fresh fish, lobsters, crab meat, etc. Very good means just average here. That's how it was this time. I ordered grilled halibut and what I've remembered was a tiny portion of fish with some (almost) raw vegetables (according to menu it was supposed to be roasted) and small portion of au gratin potatoes. Fish was just ok. Overall, expensive and disappointing. I'd return here to try other dishes. For now, four out of five points.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed February 6, 2018

We went to The Fish Market last week and we had their menu for early diners.
It is a fantastic value.
The food was very good also.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed February 4, 2018 via mobile

After this long flight from Europe to USA you are always looking for a nice restaurant with good food, relaxed atmosphere and drinks... well - these guys did a great job! Food was great, we have a large table and with multiple people joining and leaving they didn’t care - and I think in summertime when you can sit at the lake it will be even better

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed February 4, 2018 via mobile

Food still pretty good here. I do wish they have gluten free options since I’ve developed a severe allergic reaction. You can never go wrong with any of the fish. Brussel sprouts are a little salty, but good flavor.

Date of visit: February 2018