“An Old Favorite”

Ranked #4 of 450 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$12 - US$45
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Nestled alongside a quiet lagoon, our fourth restaurant, and the first to feature the upstairs, upscale Top of the Market, has been a dining destination for bay area residents since 1982. This beautiful restaurant also features a full-service cocktail bar and lounge area, and a popular oyster bar. Patio dining is available in the summer months.
Reviewed March 26, 2018

We've eaten at Fish Market restaurants in San Mateo, Palo Alto and San Diego many times and have never had an unsatisfactory meal. The fish is always fresh and well prepared and we enjoy the traditional sides. Prices have gone up and portions have gotten smaller over the years, but remain a good value. One of our favorite meals is to share the smoked fish sampler with bowls of chowder. Favorite fishes are halibut and sword fish. Our one rap is the acoustics which make for a noisy meal, especially when seated next to large groups.

Reviewed March 21, 2018 via mobile

I’m ok with over cooked fish, but not in a place called The Fish Market. Crab cakes were good but the side salad was acidic to the extreme and killed my taste. The Clam Bake had dry lobster and dry shrimp. How do you do that in a very watery broth? Anyway, the wine was good and in fairness, the creme brûlée was all it needed to be: smooth, light, fluffy with lots of vanilla and a crispy caramel coating. Delicious. The staff was great, but waaaayyyy understaffed. As a loner at a table I had to compete for attention with two large tables. Kudos for keeping your cool guys, but I won’t come back.

kirk b, Guest Relations Manager at The Fish Market, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2018

RikDD - Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your dining experience. The general manager of the San Mateo Restaurant, Simon, would appreciate the opportunity to discuss it with you. Please email me a way to contact you at fishmarketfeedback+tsmrik@gmail.com I hope to hear from you soon. Kirk B

Reviewed March 11, 2018

The menu has so many choices, that there is sure to be something for everyone. Good seaford, I have had the sole dinner, which was very good and a lot of food. Had to get myself a :"to go bag" . Dinner plates comes with side dish choices (I think you have a choice of at least 2 sides). Also you can choose to sit indoors or outdoors, which outdoor sitting is by the water. I love the view, it's beautiful and relaxing. Good eats at The Fish Market.

Reviewed March 11, 2018

Consistently fresh seafood from their own fishing boats. Family style casual dining with great fish. The daily changing menu clearly indicates the type of fish and if it is wild or farm raised, They are famous for their au gratin potatoes. They also sell fresh fish. The San Mateo location offers a water view with a boat dock you can park your boat at if you are lucky enough to live on the Belmont Slough. There is a very good kids menu, not just the usual chicken and burgers. They have good pasta and salads. My kids always enjoyed the ducks, too. I have been going to this restaurant for decades, and I am not one to give praise unless it is deserved. Upstairs is a more formal and romantic restaurant, the top of the market. Outdoor dining is offered, too. The Fish Market is the best.

Reviewed March 3, 2018

We love to sit by the outside room with a view of the water. The wait staff are always great. So many choices of fish and clams.