“My favorite old time Chinese restaurant”

Wing Fat Restaurant
Ranked #72 of 418 Restaurants in San Mateo
Reviewed 12 March 2017

I almost forgot about this restaurant, boy I'm I glad I didn't. For the last 4 weeks I have been coming back for more and more. Outstanding Chop suey, BBQ pork, Hot and Sour soup, and Hot Spicy beef tofu. Always very fresh without that funny taste Chinese food can have. Every time I think, what do I fell like eating Wing Fat comes flying into my head. My favorite..

Reviewed 18 September 2016

My favorite Chinese restaurant for over 50 years. You can't get any better than their Tomato Beef - pure heaven. Thank you for keeping this family restaurant open and serving wonderful food.

1  Thank leeek
Reviewed 4 October 2015 via mobile

Very good chinese food.This restaurant has been located in the same place for many many years.It is crowded most often at lunch time when the workers in the area come to eat the lunch specials.There are very few tables but doesn't seem to be a problem since the owners seem to have a huge to go order business as well as a never ending phone orders.
The bar b q pork is always delicious and a large component of the to go orders.Ive tried several lunch specials and by far my favorite is the pork with tofu.The portion is huge and comes with rice and soup which is usually hot and sour.The wait staff is pretty much just business and very little small talk.Their cash only policy doesn't seem to hurt their business.Parking can be tight around lunch time and metered until around 6:00.The restaurant is located in an industrial area.Safe during the day but possibly a bit risky at night.
This restaurant offers great food at a great price.If you are a neat and clean type person you should look elsewhere.The tables are clean enough and to stay in business as long as they have must meet at least the minimum health requirements.Of course the choice is yours to patronize Wing Fat or go elsewhere and pay far more for lesser quality of food.
I haven't been here in a while but I will certainly pop in again for a great meal.

1  Thank Richard Y
Reviewed 15 August 2015

This very small, mostly take out, restaurant has been in the same place for over 40 years! On the outside edge of downtown San Mateo. It does have a vew small tables but is generally for take out. Their tomato beef chow mein has been a personal and family favorite for decades. I've even driven down from San Francisco just to get take out from them.

Reviewed 18 April 2015

after living in san mateo for many years, we finally stopped into wing fats to see what the fuss is about. we're still wondering. we ordered our food and sat down, they called us when it was ready in a 'to-go bag.'

they re-served our meal at the table. the hot and sour soup was all right. actually, less than all right. the beef with snow peas tasted a lot like the hot and sour soup. lackluster. bland. no flavor.

it's re-assuring in a way...that we haven't missed something great all these years.

1  Thank dmc50