“okay for a one night last minute stay”
Review of Hillsdale Inn

Hillsdale Inn
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
Reviewed 2 October 2014

We were in the SF area just when the Oracle Conference was taking place. This lead to everything in the whole area either being fully booked or asking for unbelievable high prices. I think a travel lodge close to fisherman's wharf would have been over $200 / night.
After all we decided to stay one night at the Hillsdale Inn for $84 / night since we had a flight leaving from SFO at 8am the next morning.
The motel staff during check in was VERY friendly - big big plus.
The room itself was somewhere between poor and fair. The beds were quite noisy and uncomfortable, but sufficient for one night and more or less what we expected. Cleanliness was ok - had much better but also had much worse motel experiences.
Wifi worked just fine for us (stayed at Room 108 which had one of the routers in the room itself).
Bathroom was ok and had a hairdryer. Tiles on the bathroom floor were partially broken and shower leaked.
Was doable for the night and the purpose we needed it for, but generally not a place i'd recommend...

Oh and one nice thing was that there is a mall close by and the gas station next to the motel was pretty cheap compared to SF city prices (3.75/Gallon in Sep 2014). This was nice for the final refill of the rental car.

Room Tip: I'd probably asked for a second floor room instead of a ground level room for less noise and les...
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 September 2014

As noted but previous reviews, this is probably one of those hotels that you would rather not stay at if you are looking for vacation bright spot. I actually chose it for the cost as it was the cheapest in San Mateo. I expected it to be a flop house but it wasn't noisy. The carpets did smell some but they had good accessories in the form of toothpaste, soap, shampoo and a couple other items in the room. Trying to look at the positives, the refrigerator was bigger and it had a coffee pot and microwave. The TV had a lot of cable channels to choose from if you watch it. I only had to stay to the next morning and checked out, no big deal. I know other people wrote comments like being scared but they are over exaggerating the real danger from the long term occupants staying at the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't I don't think you can find a good room.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2014

WARNING! This is a flophouse! This means that most of the people staying here live here full-time. The place is a pit, I did not feel 100% safe here and I was half worried my car might get broken into. The hotel is actually in a decent area close to many things and near the freeway, but that's where the positives end. The front desk guy was nice and the room was not as awful as I thought it might be when I pulled up to the place, but I did not feel comfortable showering without flip flops on. They couldn't even give me a wake up call because they didn't have the "system" required. I stayed here because it was relatively cheap and I needed a hotel near SFO. I knew nothing about the place, but now that I do, I would NEVER stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel. Do NOT stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We made reservations for this motel while on a roadtrip and it was a big mistake. The rooms are a mess, dirty carpets, mold on the drapes. Not wanting to even step inside the room was a big clue, but having to sit on the bed was even worse. We wanted a non smoking room, we got a room that smelled like a dirty ashtray, it was disgusting! So my husband went to get us another room and all night we were afraid that something was crawling on the carpet. The mold on the drapes was very thick an the bed sheets felt dirty.

Room Tip: Stay away from this motel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 294lisay
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

I never have been to San Francisco, so when I booked my room, I was looking for closeness to airport and price. I wasn't expecting much, because of the low price. I was disappointed that it was a good 15 minute drive from the airport. On the website it claimed to be a mile away. My room wasn't filthy, but I wouldn't call it clean either. My girlfriend and I are adventurous and don't lay aroundmuch, so we just used the room to sleep and shower. Not sure if we would bring our kids here,but for the two of us it served it's purpose.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Accidentally booked this through a third party booking site (must have clicked on the wrong link). I would have never intentionally booked this place. I would call it a dump but that would be insulting to dumps across the country. It was absolutely filthy. We could not go without shoes as the floor left socks/feet black. It also appeared as if it was little more than a low income tenement house. If I could have gotten out of my contract I would have. Looking back I would have probably been better served to just sleep in the car with the kids and eat the cost of the room. One weird thing, there was a flat screen TV in the room. That money would have been far better invested had they paid to deep clean the rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel, ANY different hotel, or sleep in your car, anything other than taking your...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jean1145
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My sister got us rooms at this hotel on a discount web site as we wanted to spend a few days near San Mateo. I wish we had read the reviews here first as we would never have stayed here.
This is the WORST place I have ever stayed. I was afraid to take my shoes off in the room as the carpet was so stained. We arrived during the heat wave last month (May 2014), the day it was 97 in San Francisco. When we got the room, it was well over 100 degrees inside and did the room did not have AC. We were able to open the crank style windows and at least get the air moving. Our fan did not work and the front desk manager (an unfriendly man) handed me a box with a fan in it to use. We had to assemble the very cheap fan!!!! When I returned to the front desk to get a screw driver so we could put it together, thre same manager asked me why we didn't just use our fingers. He eventually, at my urging, turned up a screw driver for us.

The much friendlier manager we saw the next morning told me that most of the hotel was filled with low income residents and no improvements of any type were going to be made as the hotel was going to be torn down. That cannot happen soon enough as far as I am concerned.

All I can say is until it is torn down, do not stay here, it is filthy and noisy, the beds are uncomfortable and it is not worth the money saved. I've stayed in Motel 6's that were 5 Star in comparison to this place, if I could I would give it a minus 5 star rating

Room Tip: There aren't any, do not stay here
Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family