All reviews the concierge lounge california grill trader joes nice hotel per day san francisco breakfast buffet hotel restaurant starbucks coffee business hotel silicon valley free shuttle minute drive business trip parking lot valet airport
Reviewed May 16, 2018 via mobile

The staff was very friendly and helpful. But, not sure I would stay here again. Our room was near the construction site and the contractors started work at 6:30 AM! Called front desk and they said in California contractors can start work at that hour. Had to listen to jackhammers for about 2 hours each morning. The hotel’s restaurant was closed due to the renovations. They did set up a continental buffet on the 3rd floor for breakfast only. Couldn’t believe they actually charged about $20 for the buffet. It was nothing special for that price. I’ve been to other hotels where the breakfast buffet was FREE. Also, when we found out the hotel was doing renovations, we called to find out about the restaurant and the pool. We were told the pool was open — but each morning there was a sign that it was closed that day and the gate was locked. Had to go ask front desk each day why was pool closed again. They had to contact engineering dept who each day said they were having issues with the pool water. For 5 days? Seems unreasonable to me. I had to tell them each day that I didn’t want to go in the water, I just wanted to relax in a lounge chair which were only in the pool area. Then I had to wait for engineering to come and unlock the pool gate. I might stay here again but only after ALL renovations are complete and then I’ll see if things have changed.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank mylifemyway111
Jhaneel T, Front Office Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2018

Dear mylifemyway111
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with the San Mateo Marriott. We appreciate your kind words towards our staff but wished you had a better experience with us. Please accept our apologies for the series of events that contributed to a less than stellar visit. We have shared your comments with our management team to ensure we are consistently providing the best service to our guest. While there will be some updates to or pool, our great room renovations will be completed by August 2018 with the guest room renovations to follow. We look forward to welcoming you back and providing you a better experience with your future stays.

Reviewed May 12, 2018

I have stayed at Marriott hotel properties for more than 20 years for both business and personal reasons and this is the worst one I have ever experienced. The ongoing lobby renovations were for a start extremely disruptive to every aspect of the stay in terms of noise and rerouting, including inability to use the dining facilities vs ordering expensive room service. However the fact that the lobby was being renovated at all is somewhat absurd because the entire property is so badly worn out that it needs to be closed entirely and either gutted completely and refurbished or torn down and a new hotel built. I had to kick or shove open my room door with considerable force to get in; fortunately I am large sized and fairly athletic but a smaller person or a child would not have been able to do it. The soundproofing was nonexistent - I felt like I was sleeping on the adjacent freeway. Beyond the physical aspects, the administrative support was problematic. I had been traveling with a group and erroneously received two separate check-ins for the app on the way in and then received two other people's guest folios via email and through the Marriott app, and I am still not sure if I got my points credits for the stay or not.

Room Tip: Bad soundproofing so stay as far from adjacent freeway as possible
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank David P
Jhaneel T, Front Office Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2018

Dear David P
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the San Mateo Marriott. We truly appreciate your feedback but wished you had a better stay with us. Our ongoing great room renovation, which includes the lobby, bar, marketplace and restaurant is scheduled for completion August 2018 with a complete renovation of guest room updates to follow .This will reinvent the look and feel of the hotel and address the room concerns mentioned in your comments. Please respond to previously sent email should you have any additional comments regarding your most recent stay with us.We hope to have the opportunity to better your future experience should your travels bring you back to the San Mateo area.

Reviewed May 11, 2018 via mobile

I stay at this Marriott four times a year for business. My company’s office is across the street, so employees are constantly staying here when visiting. This week’s stay has been, by far, the worst week I’ve had at this hotel.

As many other reviews have said, this hotel is currently under construction. I knew this going into my stay, so I called beforehand to ensure that all other facilities are working as described - room service, the temp restaurant, pool, and fitness center. It was confirmed everything is good to go.

I checked in on Sunday, 5/6. I wasn’t super happy with the original room (room was dark and the sofa bed was sagging) so we were switched to 1152... the room closest to the construction. Immediately I thought “Why is this hallway even available to put guests in”? The room is literally next to the plastic trap to close off the construction. We decided to give it a try anyway because we’re exhausting from a long flight and already changing rooms once.

Thankfully for most of the week, the construction was low key. A lot of what we heard was constant door slamming from the maintenance room next to us. That, unfortunately, happened at all hours of the night. I had ear plugs, so fine. However, the Manager may want to give some advice to maintenance about how to properly let a door close.

On Friday, 5/11, our construction friends decided to start jack hammering next to our room at 6:30am! It’s 6:53am and it’s still going on. It is so incredibly loud that the floor in the bathroom is vibrating. I called the front desk to complain and you could tell the woman at the front desk woman was pretty flustered by it. She said that, unfortunately, the hotel has no control over when construction starts. I don’t believe that for a SECOND, but that’s beside the point. She offered to change rooms for us but we’re supposed to check out at 11am AND our stuff is all over the room. I’m not interested in moving rooms for four hours. The best the hotel would offer is a comped breakfast. Really? That’s not right at all considering how much money the company I work for brings to this hotel.

Additionally, the pool ended up being closed for two days during the week. This is despite what I confirmed over the phone. I wouldn’t necessarily believe everything that’s promised to you at this hotel.

While there’s a few reviews mentioning to come back after the renovations, I think I’ve had enough of this Marriott. It’s obvious the team here isn’t concerned for the guest experience and not interested in going above and beyond. Please give this hotel a second thought before staying.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank Melissa M
Reviewed May 3, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel 1 night. The staff was friendly. Hotel is under major renovations, but it is well advertised. There is a make-shift valet stand and front desk in the back corner of the hotel, a little confusing but not that big of a deal. They put me in a first floor room, beside the elevator. It was the loudest elevator I have ever heard. In addition, the water pressure in the room was awful. The shower temperature was also warm at best (on the hottest setting). Of all the marriotts around the globe I’ve ever stayed at, this was the lowest in quality.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
samantha e, Manager at San Mateo Marriott San Francisco Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 4, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to to provide your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. As a Marriott guest, we truly appreciate your feedback.

As you know, we have recently started our renovation process which should update the look and feel of the property and address the concerns mentioned in your survey. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have endured during your visit with us. Our great room renovation, which includes our lobby, restaurant, bar and marketplace is scheduled for completion August 2018 with the guest room updates to follow. We hope to have the opportunity to better your experience should your future travels bring you back to the San Mateo area.

Reviewed April 21, 2018

I have been staying at this Marriott property for over 20 days per year total each year over the last seven or eight years. I rarely write reviews. However, the staff at this hotel should be complimented:
Many of the staff members recognize me as a repeat guest each time that I stay. Our wholesale clothing representatives group stays at this Marriott five times per year for four or five days each visit.
I especially want to compliment Mimi and her Concierge Lounge staff. The front desk and front door staff are consistently professional-they always welcome me back. This positive attitude is very professional and refreshing !

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business