“Rooms look nice, but have some issues”

Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in San Mateo
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 June 2012

At a glance, the hotel and rooms overall look nice. The rooms are clean and large. However, when staying there, you'll notice some issues that a hotel like this should not have. First of all, the wifi is basically non-existent. It may be better if you're closer to the lobby, but from our room, the wifi was basically not usable at all. You needed to have a laptop plugged into an ethernet cord just to get a decent internet connection here. Also, the heater in the room didn't really work well. It was running the entire evening, night, and until the next morning. It didn't start actually heating up the room until about 6:00am. Finally, I had requested a late checkout (1:00pm) the day before, vs. their usual checkout time of 12:00 non. However, at 11:00am, housekeeping knocked and asked when we were leaving. When we said we had a late checking, housekeeping said, "so... you're checking out at noon?" Really, I don't like being rushed out of the hotel even before the checkout time. Still, the front desk staff gave us a huge room and the room still looked nice and clean, so I'll give the hotel 3 stars.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank flipsyde112
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Dear flipsyde112,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Great location if you are catching a flight at the SFO airport. It is convenient to shopping malls, restaurants, etc if you have your own car. Big rooms. Clean rooms and comfy beds. No adjoining rooms for families though as it is more of a business hotel. Be warned though as the commotion from the room above caused our window frames and ceiling to shake as if there was an earthquake...

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 27 May 2012 via mobile

First time at this place. room was very clean and spacious. would stay here again if our proffered hotel is overbooked again.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank MaMa6363
Reviewed 23 May 2012

Booked two rooms using priority club rewards on May 2nd, 2012. Never stayed here before, but they state that they have a shuttle to SFO airport. Returned my rental car early night before my departure so I would not have to deal with returning the rental car the moning of my flight out of SFO. The hotel was totally understaffed that day. One young woman who seemed pretty young had to manage the hotel that night. We made three calls to get the shuttle service from SFO to the hotel. Long story short, after almost an hour of waiting we ended up taking a taxi to the hotel. Once there I asked for a Manager and was told that the only person was the young lady holding up the fort. Still have not heard from the manager even though I left my cell phone. And by the way, I am a platinum priority club member. Would not recommended this hotel for business travelers or anyone needing to be close to the airport or shuttle service. You can do better with other Holidayinn brands. This was just not what I would expect. Never again at this hotel. Cost me more in the long run. And did I mention again that even as a platinum priority club member I have not heard from the general manager or anyone from the hotel. Take your business elsewhere.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MKandLSaintPaul_MN
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Dear MKandLSaintPaul_MN,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced concerning the shuttle service. Let me take this opportunity to inform you that this matter will be looked into. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to San Mateo.

Karen G.

Reviewed 22 May 2012

We stayed here the night before our early morning flight. The lobby is beautiful, the rooms look good for the most part. There was a seam in the wall paper that was coming loose. The worse part is that the room was very musty. I tried to ignore it. I'm not very sensitive to things like this. It was in the entire hallway as well. I thought of asking for a different room but I think it's the entire hotel. Maybe it's due to a bad air conditioning system... I won't stay here again because of this. Last time we stayed for an early morning flight we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express. It's much nicer, though there was no restaurant. The restaurant, Hooligan's was ok The menus were sticky, the food was oily. I should take my own advice next time!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pruth
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Dear pruth,

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel. I'm glad you liked our lobby. On the other hand, I am sorry we were not able to exceed or at least be at par with your expectations. I truly value the bad comments as this gives us the opportunity of improving what we can offer to improve your stay. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Thank you again for your review.

Karen G.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

Just wanted to say, the rooms are large and nice, parking is free, and breakfast in the restuarant (while not free) was good!. The manager (Rema Marans) helped us with an additional stay and Kara at the front desk was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Spending 4 nights at this great hotel was really a pleasant surprise. We were given a free upgrade to a big on- bedroom suite (with a separate living area). The room is spacious, very clean, looks as if it has been newly renovated. The young lady at the reception who checked us in was new, not well informed regarding safety deposit boxes in the lobby, nevertheless she was friendly and helpful.
The pros are: windows are doubled glazed and can be opened, the airconditioning is excellent. Free parking and free internet.
The cons are: the supposedly "high speed" internet is actually very slow and sometimes no access at all which can be very disappointing. No free breakfast. These are the reasons why I just can rate this hotel "very good" instead of excellent.
We'll be staying in this hotel if we visit the area again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4.3 km away
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Mateo - SFO
3.6 km away
Crowne Plaza San Francisco Airport

Been to Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO? Share your experiences!