“Busy, busy, busy”

Ranked #38 of 449 Restaurants in San Mateo
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed September 5, 2016 via mobile

Vert crowded little place. Good food. Had to ask waitress to take our order a few times. Soup served and other food arrived too soon after.

Reviewed June 29, 2016

I went here on the recommendation of a friend. We decided to try a variety of items. They were all deliver fairly quick even though it was extremely busy. The sweet and sour chicken was excellent. The meatballs were very good. They were larger than a normal american meatball with a thick rich sauce. I enjoyed the fried rice because it was mostly rice and meat without a bunch of vegetables as filler. We also had a shrimp dish with stir fried shrimp and a sauce that was very similar to malt vinegar that was very unique. The more I ate the more I liked it. As busy as it was on a Tuesday I would imagine that it is extremely busy on weekends.

Reviewed April 16, 2016

This is a tiny eatery that takes us 30 minutes standing to get our seat at lunchtime on a Sunday. Having been missing Shanghai food for many years, I am glad that my Shanghainese friend in Berkeley introduces this place to me. Based on his memory, this place has been in business for more than 10 years. The business is thriving.

They serve typical Shanghai style family breakfast and snacks. Here are what we have: Cifantuan (粢饭团), Soy milk(甜豆浆), Soup Dumpling (小笼包), Pan-fried Steamed Bun (生煎馒头), Baked wheat gluten (烤麸),Bacon Vegetable Rice(咸肉菜饭) and Braised Meatball in brown sauce (红烧狮子头). Local people gather here and seriously enjoy their delicacies.

It's a bit challenging to find a parking spot around the restaurant. You may want to avoid lunchtime as the wait can be very long. Try to come in after 1:30PM on Sunday.

1  Thank Phil Y
Reviewed December 15, 2015

I love this little always crowded restaurant. I have learn to go early or late because parking can be crazy....and seating is hard to come by during the lunch or dinner rush. Most of the food is very good. Always a favorite with my relatives from China. Love the fried eel with the glazed sauce. They have some special desserts that is suppose to be authentic to China although I am not crazy about it. Some kind of fried sweet rice thing and fried pancake stuff with bean paste. All their dumplings items such as potstickers are all delicious.

1  Thank bzbeehive
Reviewed October 1, 2015

Ate here twice. Best mongolian beef I've ever had. When you walk into a Chinese restaurant and its nothing but local Chinese eating there, you know its the real deal. Service is so-so but you're there for the food. If you are near by, do not pass this place up. Food is also very modestly priced especially for the portions.

1  Thank kuhnflyfish