“Wow”

Add it.
Mauna Loa Hawaiian BBQ
Ranked #46 of 247 Restaurants in San Rafael
Reviewed December 10, 2015 via mobile

Fast friendly service. Great atmosphere. I had the Hawaiian BBQ chicken on my first visit, coconut shrimp on the second trip. Sides were rice and macaroni. Outstanding! Flavor filled served hot and fresh. A real gem.

Reviewed August 22, 2015 via mobile

So much great barbecue for a great price! I got the Hawaiian bbq chicken and it was delicious and a very generous portion. I would definitely come often if I lived in the area!

2  Thank Allie T
Reviewed July 27, 2015

On very short notice I had to find some food for a group of 8 hard working guys in the late afternoon. Recalling that Mauna Loa was a short walk away, I called them and said, "Can you please make a take out order for 8 guys. Just make it the favorite dishes and I'm certain that will be fine."

20 minutes later, I picked it up in the styrofoam containers. $85 with tip to feed 8 guys. No girly food. Just $85. Seemed unreal.

10 minutes later, the guys dived into the food. No one was disappointed.

I'd put my faith into the hands of Mauna Loa. They delivered. Obviously, I'm going back.

2  Thank Bruce415453
Reviewed July 10, 2015

When you just can't face another meal without kalua pig or musubi, the Mauna Loa Hawaiian BBQ may be the place to go. Their lunch specials are a very good deal. The dinner prices are reasonable enough, but there is sooo much food. I always end up taking a bunch home.
I'm kind of stuck on a Kalua pig thing with this restaurant-- I must have eaten it ten times in the past year. I find it really yummy. They serve it with a shredded cabbage salad and rice. Simple but satisfying. If you have room, they make excellent bubble tea.
I've also had their musubi and their Portuguese sausage. With musubi, well, what can you say about spam wrapped in seaweed. You gotta like it, I guess. The Portuguese sausage was tasty, but I expected it to be more spicy.
If you miss Hawaiian food, this is the place to go. It's kind of half table service and half counter service. Very casual, like the Islands.
The Mauna Loa is located right beside a public parking lot, and it is not impossible to find spaces in this lot. It's also a only short walk from the San Rafael Transit Center.

Reviewed July 8, 2015

The food is very tasty, unique, well prepared, and a real value. The dining room is friendly and informal, with an aloha vibe.