“Yum!”

Add it.
Mauna Loa Hawaiian BBQ
Ranked #47 of 249 Restaurants in San Rafael
Reviewed October 2, 2017

Good food, nice people. Mauna Loa Combo has several kinds of meat cooked different ways. They are fine with switching out the sides for rice.

Reviewed September 17, 2017

This restaurant is literally around the block from Sol Food. I shake my head every time I pass the huge line at Sol Food to go and easily park right next to Mauna Loa and go in for some "old school Hawaiian cookin'." Yes, spam musubi, kahlua pork, shave ice (all kinds), loco moco, even cans of Hawaiian-type drinks (e.g., passion/guava) etc. It's a tiny place, so (as one reviewer said) maybe I shouldn't say anything, cos maybe it will get a line, too.

The food is made fresh, though you can order ahead by phone, if you want/To Go.

This is Hawaiian food like we used to get on the islands - no fuss, no muss (and, of course, sticky rice - isn't that what makes a meal a meal and not pupus? :-) ) The ribs are just like you'd get at the local ribs truck. Just "down home" Hawaiian stuff.

I wish this place would get more business just because I don't want them to shut down, with Sol Food having lines around the block. I've eaten at Sol Food too - it's fine - but I think its magic is perhaps because "everyone eats there." It's fun with boppin' music and the like. (OK and so I like the condensed milk in the coffee, I cannot lie.) But if you'd like to turn the corner for a laid back authentic Hawaiian "vibe" (and I mean AUTHENTIC here - like "Hawaiian food truck" authentic), then step a few paces down the block.

Reviewed January 12, 2017

I'm reluctant to give this place a good review because there aren't a lot of seats and I don't want to stand in line like they do at Sol Food. I am in a rut and always get the Kalua Pork, but have tasted other things my family gets and everything is tasty.

Reviewed September 25, 2016

We found this place by accident next to a city parking lot. We enjoyed the BBQ chicken and coleslaw so much that we went back the next night. The portions are generous. They have a large variety of beverages, including beer. The staff is friendly and helpful. Everyone seemed to be enjoying the food and atmosphere. We would definitely go back!

Reviewed September 24, 2016 via mobile

Best Hawaiian fare outside of the islands!
The Spam musibi is the best. The Kaluia pork is excellent as are the Korean spareribs.
And you can finish up with a shave ice.