“A little bit of Southern BBQ in San Rafael”
Review of Best Lil Porkhouse

Best Lil Porkhouse
Ranked #67 of 237 Restaurants in San Rafael
Reviewed 2 January 2017

We tried this place because of a groupon coupon and can tell you we will be going back soon. My wife had the platter with baby back ribs and chicken with creamed corn, mac and cheese sides. I had the same with St. Louis ribs and smoked brisket. The sides I had were the baked beans and onion rings. Both ok but the ribs were the star of the show.
Both styles of ribs were fall off the bone tender and the sauce was perfect. We did a BBQ trip to Memphis a few years ago and this is one of the closest BBQ places we have found locally (the other was Angelina"s in Berkeley). The brisket was melt in your mouth tender. They have a choice of several sauces on the table and they are all tasty. We had enough left over between the two of us to have BBQ leftovers the next day. I probably BBQ at least once a week and I may defer to this place for ribs from now on.

Reviewed 7 September 2016

I've only had the pulled chicken and BBQ chicken but it's really good. A quick stop of a pulled chicken sandwich and some fried okra on the side.

Reviewed 26 July 2016

Being from the south, "southern" BBQ has many definitions, and Best Lil Porkhouse comes close to some of those. Some like Spicy, others like sweet. Some like cold slaw, other's like it bare. This establishment tries to cover all those, and more.

Stopped on Saturday night around 6:30PM and found only one other patron. Tried the 3 Little Pigs, a slider each of brisket, chicken and pork. I found the pork to be moist and tender, and would probably try again, but the chicken was dry and brisket anything but slow cooked (tasted more like microwave) - very bland.

I'm hoping they try to improve the food a little, and make more of an effort to keep the dining area clean, and that may keep them around long enough for me to stop in again in the future.

Reviewed 17 April 2016 via mobile

Being from NC, I tend to be real particular when it comes to my BBQ. This place may not be NC style, but it's top of the heap for spots I've tried in NorCal.
I had the pulled pork sandwich and a side of baked beans. It arrived on a big, fancy bun, so my initial reaction was here we go again with another yuppyfied imitation. Surprise! The bun is apparently needed to contain the juice. And juicy it was...tender, succulent & juicy. Not overly smoked, or too heavily sauced. The beans also were well done, with perfect seasoning.
They brought out a variety of sauces as well; I chose the hottest, and it was good. I found it rather mild to my taste, but then again, I eat Carolina Reapers for fun...
Overall, best pig spot I've found yet; I'll update after I've tried there chicken & beef!

2  Thank david a
Reviewed 15 February 2016 via mobile

My wife and I happened upon this place while looking for dinner to go. They have a separate entrance for To Go orders. She got spare ribs while I got the Pork Melt sandwich. The ribs were good (not quite as tender as I like, but still delicious), and the pork melt was out of this world! Service was great, too. And price is reasonable.

1  Thank Nathan R